Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
AJ Cann

Quote:It was not considered a need because Zane Beadles signed a multi-year contract to start at left guard last year, but I think anyone who watched Jaguars games last year will say A.J. Cann is an upgrade.

No. You can't immediately call a rookie who is yet to even go to training camp an upgrade. It's possible he could end up one, but you can't just assume he's an upgrade at this point.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They said he projects to play center too. So if Wiz isn't healthy, we still have options along the interior which is something we haven't had the past few years.
@OnGuardJax

somebody needs to switch to center

Cann will start opening weekend at left guard, beating out Beadles. Mark my words.

Whatever gets the best 5 guys on the field. I'm predicting our starting OL looks like:

Joeckel - Beadles - Wiz - Linder - Parnell

Pasztor, Bowanko, Cann provide high quality depth
@OnGuardJax

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 09:49 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Whatever gets the best 5 guys on the field. I'm predicting our starting OL looks like:

Joeckel - Beadles - Wiz - Linder - Parnell

Pasztor, Bowanko, Cann provide high quality depth

That's probably a pretty good prediction.   One thing for sure: we will learn the truth about Zane Beadles.   He will have to win that job.   He won't get it by default. 

From reading the interviews with Cann after he got drafted, he has a high degree of self-confidence and genuinely thinks he was worth a lot more than a high 3rd round pick.   I would have to say that since he was a 4-year starter for a very good SEC team, he should be pretty solid.   He played 4 years against other NFL prospects.  

Quote:Cann will start opening weekend at left guard, beating out Beadles. Mark my words.

odds are somebody gets hurt anyway.  he will replace whoever that is

Quote:odds are somebody gets hurt anyway.  he will replace whoever that is
How are the odds in favor of someone getting hurt?

Quote:How are the odds in favor of someone getting hurt?

Because injuries are pretty common in the NFL.

Quote:Cann is a nasty mauler do doubt. Does he remind anybody else of Vince Manuwai in that respect?

I do think he is gonna have issues blocking quicker interior guys in pass pro though. He's a a little slow footed but I think he can clean it up technique wise and be good. I'll never complain when lineman are picked and I like the selection.

No.  Cann is pretty well-rounded.  He has quick feet for a guy his size.  Manuwai was more of a mauling LG while Cann is a little of both.  I can't think of a good comparison off the top of my head.  Maybe more like a shorter version of Zack Martin.

Quote:No. Cann is pretty well-rounded. He has quick feet for a guy his size. Manuwai was more of a mauling LG while Cann is a little of both. I can't think of a good comparison off the top of my head. Maybe more like a shorter version of Zack Martin.

Cann is quick straight line as in getting up to the second level but don't try to tell me he's quick laterally. He has average lateral quickness from what I've seen. But that's fine because he'll be in a phone booth. I still think he may struggle against athletic 3T's. For example in pass pro he's stiff going side to side.

So no I wouldn't compare him to Zach Martin at all.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:Because injuries are pretty common in the NFL.
I just don't see how odds are one of our guards will get hurt and he replaces them in the starting lineup. 

Quote:Cann will start opening weekend at left guard, beating out Beadles. Mark my words.

Sounds to me like he could be another Manuwai.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Sounds to me like he could be another Manuwai.

I think I could live with that.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:No. You can't immediately call a rookie who is yet to even go to training camp an upgrade. It's possible he could end up one, but you can't just assume he's an upgrade at this point.

INSERT ROOKIE NAME HERE is an immediate upgrade over Gabbert.

As long as he doesn't earn the nickname "A.J. Can't", I think we'll be alright.

I'll be here all week, folks.  Tip your waitress.

Cann and Linder will run Beadles out of town.

Let's not forget Bortles has had some issues with the snap under the center.  Wiz or Cann may gain an edge if they really gel with Bortles in training camp.

I'd like to see Luke, Beadles, Wiz, Linder, Parnell with Cann, Paztor, and Bowanko as depth.  Interior line is pretty well set.  Weakest spot I see is starting LT and backup LT (Paztor is better mauler guard/RT IMO).

Quote:They said he projects to play center too. So if Wiz isn't healthy, we still have options along the interior which is something we haven't had the past few years.

Who is they? Last year we drafted a center after the Browns prevented us from taking Alex Mack away.Other board members said Luke Bowanko was good and now they think he sucks?

Quote:As long as he doesn't earn the nickname "A.J. Can't." I think we'll be alright.

I'll be here all week, folks.  Tip your waitress.

I was thinking the opposite: "A.J. Cann do it."

Quote:Cann and Linder will run Beadles out of town.

Only Cann. Remember Linder and Beadles played together last season.