Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marqise Lee

Quote:Hearing Bradley talk about Lee moving into Cecil's "x" position makes me a little nervous. This of course is the #1 WR role on most teams, aka the "split end" position, which is by far the most demanding position in terms of talent where guys are up against the league's top CBs.

Doesn't this also free up DRob & Hurns/Greene to go up against the #2 & #3 DBs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I feel like it's more of a "line him up outside" instead of a "he's our #1 guy" move. The team has stated that they feel better having Lee on the outside of the formation and that makes sense to me. He has speed to threaten a Defense and he has moves on in breaking routes.

I feel like this is more of a move to get him to do what he does best.
Exactly.  It's irrelevant who the #1 guy is on this roster. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I feel like it's more of a "line him up outside" instead of a "he's our #1 guy" move. The team has stated that they feel better having Lee on the outside of the formation and that makes sense to me. He has speed to threaten a Defense and he has moves on in breaking routes.

I feel like this is more of a move to get him to do what he does best.

It makes sense, given his speed. However, lining him up at X also means he'd be lined-up against the better CB (likely). They'd also be able to press him (unlike in the slot). Here's hoping that Jerry is working extra hard with Lee on how to beat press and get better release.

Quote:Exactly.  It's irrelevant who the #1 guy is on this roster. 

Like MSW and Shorts, it's relevant to the guy who will lose the job if he can't do it and do it very well.

Ditto Lee in a year or two if there isn't progress.  It's stand and deliver time.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Reminds me of Jimmy Smith apparently jogging faster than Fred Taylor and defender at full pace against Miami in the 90 yard run. 
I tweeted Jimmy about this exact play(Jimmy responds to a lot of fans on Twitter). He responded by saying Fred was "WAY faster" than he was. 

Could have been the angle or maybe Fred was running out of gas. 

Take it for what its worth.

Why have we not gave Lee a shot to return kicks?

Quote:It makes sense, given his speed. However, lining him up at X also means he'd be lined-up against the better CB (likely). They'd also be able to press him (unlike in the slot). Here's hoping that Jerry is working extra hard with Lee on how to beat press and get better release.

Maybe. But if you go to press coverage on a player and he has a lot of field to work with (wideside of the field) you stand a greater chance of getting burned and the Safety not being able to cover the distance in time.

You are correct in that Lee will need to beat the jam, but he still represents a threat due to his speed alone.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Why have we not gave Lee a shot to return kicks?
Because getting your top receiver killed by a 240-lb. linebacker running full speed straight at him is poor management of your players.

Quote:Maybe. But if you go to press coverage on a player and he has a lot of field to work with (wideside of the field) you stand a greater chance of getting burned and the Safety not being able to cover the distance in time.

You are correct in that Lee will need to beat the jam, but he still represents a threat due to his speed alone.

It's a risk yes. Double-edged sword. This is where Julius can (hopefully) come in. Without a legit threat, teams can press Lee and have someone over the top to help. Julius can give the safety another player to account for.

Still, if you're lining up as an X, you better be able to get off the press. The NFL is all about match-ups and mismatches. If they see that you can't do something, they'll take advantage of it until you prove otherwise.

Quote:It's a risk yes. Double-edged sword. This is where Julius can (hopefully) come in. Without a legit threat, teams can press Lee and have someone over the top to help. Julius can give the safety another player to account for.

Still, if you're lining up as an X, you better be able to get off the press. The NFL is all about match-ups and mismatches. If they see that you can't do something, they'll take advantage of it until you prove otherwise.

The good thing about that though is that all of our WRs get to go against press coverage everyday in practice.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Because getting your top receiver killed by a 240-lb. linebacker running full speed straight at him is poor management of your players.
1. Lee is young. Plenty of WR's have returned kicks early in their careers. Jimmy Smith even had some experience returning kicks.

2. Hes not our top WR, that theory is thrown out the window.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Percy Harvin, & Randall Cobb all have a substantial amount of KR's.

Devin McCourty returned kicks early in his career as well. As did Adrian Peterson in his rookie year.

*Harvin has a lot of injuries, not solely from kick returns*

Fact is, I think we would love to have a threat back there who can take it to the house. Lee gives you that.

Quote:1. Lee is young. Plenty of WR's have returned kicks early in their careers. Jimmy Smith even had some experience returning kicks.

2. Hes not our top WR, that theory is thrown out the window.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Percy Harvin, & Randall Cobb all have a substantial amount of KR's.

Devin McCourty returned kicks early in his career as well. As did Adrian Peterson in his rookie year.

*Harvin has a lot of injuries, not solely from kick returns*

Fact is, I think we would love to have a threat back there who can take it to the house. Lee gives you that.

I think last year, the Jaguars didn't want to throw too much into the rookies. Remember that the team tried to throw the kitchen sink at Denard, having him learn RB, WR, PR, and KR and it proved too much. They likely didn't want to repeat the same mistake, not to mention that both him and ARob were in and out of the lineup with injuries last season.

Now, he's our top WR (according to Gus) so I understand why they wouldn't want him returning kicks.

Quote:I think last year, the Jaguars didn't want to throw too much into the rookies. Remember that the team tried to throw the kitchen sink at Denard, having him learn RB, WR, PR, and KR and it proved too much. They likely didn't want to repeat the same mistake, not to mention that both him and ARob were in and out of the lineup with injuries last season.

Now, he's our top WR (according to Gus) so I understand why they wouldn't want him returning kicks.
All valid points SpeedyG. However I would counter with, is KR really that much (mentally) to handle? In Lee's defense, he did start slow with learning the playbook/injuries. But i'm not even sure they gave Lee a shot in the preseason.

Sidenote question: Do you have a link where Gus said Lee is our top WR? Or are you going by him lining up at X this season? 

Quote:Because getting your top receiver killed by a 240-lb. linebacker running full speed straight at him is poor management of your players.
So what you're saying is, we need Stacey Mack back
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote: 

Did you go to the draft party NYC?

Ended up working that evening. Been very busy of late.  

Excited to see what this new crop of players brings to our Jags, though! 

Quote:Hearing Bradley talk about Lee moving into Cecil's "x" position makes me a little nervous. This of course is the #1 WR role on most teams, aka the "split end" position, which is by far the most demanding position in terms of talent where guys are up against the league's top CBs. I just don't see Marquis drawing double teams like many of the WRs around the league who man this position. I recall back several seasons when we were all gung ho for Jason Hill to man this spot, and he simply flamed out when the games started. Is Marquis truly ready for this? Now if he is, I'm stoked because it allows the other WRs to do what they do best, but if he can't hang as the x it sort of throws a wrench in the offensive works.
I thought that wouldve been WR Allen Robinson at X?

Quote:All valid points SpeedyG. However I would counter with, is KR really that much (mentally) to handle? In Lee's defense, he did start slow with learning the playbook/injuries. But i'm not even sure they gave Lee a shot in the preseason.

Sidenote question: Do you have a link where Gus said Lee is our top WR? Or are you going by him lining up at X this season? 

I don't know how much it takes, but I don't think its as easy as we think. We've seen plenty examples of good college returners that couldn't translate it to the Pros.

As far as my usage of "top WR", I just mean that he's our starter. So I don't think Gus would want to risk him in the return game when we have little proven depth behind him

Quote:Ended up working that evening. Been very busy of late.  

Excited to see what this new crop of players brings to our Jags, though! 

I uh, I don't really "remember" the last ten picks or so of the First Round...

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

To my understanding with WR its sometimes has more to do with the way the guy is built (frame), speed, how he catches (physical able to out strength the defender), jump height etc in which position to place him as WR.

Some consider the (Z) Flanker role as the best on the team amongst WRs, and others see it as the (X) Split, but with teams that have a TE/WR like Thomas might see it as the slot...

as long as they are moving the chains who cares what order they are in?

Idk cause Hurns seamed like he had it his first two tds. BUt lee could be real good if stays healty
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags