Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
WWGD: What Would Gene Do?

After much careful study, I'd like to issue my crack at a WWGD draft, reflecting what could have been if Gene Smith were still the GM of this team, complete with "Gene's" thoughts on each pick. I welcome your comments.

Rd. 1: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin. The running back position was the thinnest in the draft, and the Jaguars need a star at that spot. Gene Smith liked Melvin Gordon, kind of like how he liked Maurice Jones-Drew. The problem is that the Raiders are coached by Jack Del Rio now, who also liked Maurice Jones-Drew, and therefore probably likes Melvin Gordon as well. Gene was offered three first-round picks, Mychal Kendricks, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Boykin and the hand of Chip Kelly's eldest daughter in marriage for this pick, but the chances of Oakland drafting Gordon at four were just too high for him to take that risk.

Rd. 2: Preston Smith, DE, Mississippi State. It's that time again--that one pick of Gene's draft that makes sense.

Rd. 3: Tray Walker, CB, Texas Southern. Diamond in the rough. Incredible coverage player who absolutely dominated his competition. No way could he be passed at this pick.

Rd. 3: Zach Vigil, ILB, Utah State. Holy cow, are you kidding? I had a first-round grade on this guy, and he's still there in three? It was totally worth giving up this year's four and next year's two for a hidden gem like this. No way he makes it to our pick in round four.

Rd. 5: DeAndre Carter, WR, Sacramento State. Anyone else we drafted here would have been a backup, but instead we got our starting punt returner. Carter is a weapon!

Rd. 6: La'el Collins, OT, LSU. How did this guy fall so far? No, seriously, someone explain to me how this guy fell so far. Did he kill somebody last week or something?

Rd. 7: Jean Sifrin, TE, Massachusetts. Obscure player from a lower level of competition who's five years older than the average draft prospect? Sounds like a perfect pick to finish off the draft!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This mock draft makes me wanna puke. This is EXACTLY what Gene would do.

Classic

Here goes my Jeans Miff draft:

Round 1 - Dale Earnhardt JR

He would have traded up in the 4th to grab that long snapper that NE took
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2015, 12:26 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Gene Smith 2015 NFL Draft:

Pick #3:  Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

Gene: The best pass rusher in the class, no doubt.  He was #1 on my board always.  I had him above the two QB's.  no lie.  

Pick #36: Ali Marpett, C, Hobart & William Smith

Gene: We gave up too many sacks last year, and luckily Marpett fell into our laps in round 2.  We need a good center.  

Pick #67: Neal Sterling, WR, Monmouth

Gene: With Blackmon gone, it's time to draft another WR, and this guy is just an absolutely amazing stud.  Look for him to be the #1 WR for the Jaguars next year.

Pick #68: (TRADE:  Jaguars trade 2016 2nd rounder to the Oakland Raiders for #68) Lorenzo Doss, CB, Tulane

Gene: We're getting this guy a year early.  CB's were flying off, and I wanted to get the best one left over. 

Pick #103: Tony Lippett, WR, Michigan State

Gene: We're set at WR now.  This guy is a really hard worker, and he's going to be great in the NFL

Pick # 139: Malcolm Agnew, RB, Southern Illinois

Gene: With MJD retiring, it's time to replace the RB position

Pick #180: DeAndre Carter, WR, Sacremento State

Gene: Kick return guy.  We need that.

Pick #220: Caushaud Lyons, DT, Tusculum

Gene: A real jar on the shelf.  Put him away, and in two years he'll wow you.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

The sad part is most of us fell for this every year Sad

Round 1.. Pick Nose

Round 2.. Scratch Genitals

Round 3.. Draft Punter

Rounds 4-7.. Wash, Rise, Repeat..

"Diamond in the rough"
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Punters are People Too!  LOL

I get Gene gets made fun of a lot but can we at least be realistic somewhat?

1. Leonard Williams. He's the top rated guy in mocks, just like Gabbert was.

2. Eric Rowe. Glaring need at FS, so he takes Rowe.

3. Tevin Coleman. Indiana? That's close to Iowa right?

4. Jamison Crowder. big need at punt returner, and he went to Duke.

5. Davis Tull. DPR from Tenn-Chatannoga. That's got Gene written all over him.

6. Some division 3 guy

7. Neal Sterling

Quote:I get Gene gets made fun of a lot but can we at least be realistic somewhat?

1. Leonard Williams. He's the top rated guy in mocks, just like Gabbert was.

2. Eric Rowe. Glaring need at FS, so he takes Rowe.

3. Tevin Coleman. Indiana? That's close to Iowa right?

4. Jamison Crowder. big need at punt returner, and he went to Duke.

5. Davis Tull. DPR from Tenn-Chatannoga. That's got Gene written all over him.

6. Some division 3 guy

7. Neal Sterling

Most mocks I saw had Cam Newton or Nick Fairley on top in 11'

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Gene Smith 2015 NFL Draft:

Pick #3:  Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

Gene: The best pass rusher in the class, no doubt.  He was #1 on my board always.  I had him above the two QB's.  no lie.  

Pick #36: Ali Marpett, C, Hobart & William Smith

Gene: We gave up too many sacks last year, and luckily Marpett fell into our laps in round 2.  We need a good center.  

Pick #67: Neal Sterling, WR, Monmouth

Gene: With Blackmon gone, it's time to draft another WR, and this guy is just an absolutely amazing stud.  Look for him to be the #1 WR for the Jaguars next year.

Pick #68: (TRADE:  Jaguars trade 2016 2nd rounder to the Oakland Raiders for #68) Lorenzo Doss, CB, Tulane

Gene: We're getting this guy a year early.  CB's were flying off, and I wanted to get the best one left over. 

Pick #103: Tony Lippett, WR, Michigan State

Gene: We're set at WR now.  This guy is a really hard worker, and he's going to be great in the NFL

Pick # 139: Malcolm Agnew, RB, Southern Illinois

Gene: With MJD retiring, it's time to replace the RB position

Pick #180: DeAndre Carter, WR, Sacremento State

Gene: Kick return guy.  We need that.

Pick #220: Caushaud Lyons, DT, Tusculum

Gene: A real jar on the shelf.  Put him away, and in two years he'll wow you.
haha looks like a Gene draft 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

It looks like the Gene Whiff and his ( fill in the blank here with whatever bad word you can think of) Jags drafting will NEVER die.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

With the 3rd pick in the 2015 draft the Jacksonville Jaguars select Jim smith QB- Arkansas state community college university tech

He would of drafted the tackle out of Iowa in the 1st. I think the biggest thing that gets over looked with Gene is how he completely ignores value. He overdrafts players who he values highly, then gets frantic and trades up for them because he thinks he has outsmarted everyone else. Most people criticize Gene for the "small school signings", which i can see, but where you go to school does not matter. I mean McCray was a 7th round pick out of Appalachian State, now he's a starting CB in the NFL......

Another thing about Gene, he was a needs drafter. He probably would of drafted a linebacker or a Beasley clone in the 2nd, probably over drafts a safety in the 3rd that gets stupid over hyped. And day 3, it would of been his typical day 3 drafts, horrible value, over drafting and players he loves. He probably would of drafted some special teamer, specifically for punt returning or kick returning, like a Scotty McGee. Probably some division III player late in the draft that noone has heard about but he thinks he great. 

Quote:Most mocks I saw had Cam Newton or Nick Fairley on top in 11'

Its pretty well documented that it was between Gabbert and Cam for the #1 pick in Carolina. You also had "top analysts" that had Blaine the #1 QB

The best punter from Security Guard in Training University

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:The best punter from Security Guard in Training University

Paul Blart?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

"if in doubt, punt"    

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

LOL .... the only thing missing was the trade up to select a guy because we knew Belichick wanted him"

Gene Smith wasn't the best GM but his specialty was outsmarting Belichick in the draft.  :woot: