Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
WWGD: What Would Gene Do?

Quote:Yet others are still bitter that their hero was fired and also can't let go. This is evidenced by the fact that, after somebody posted a light hearted joke about Jean Smiff's hilarious obsession with Division 3 scrubs, you came rushing on in to defend your hero's honor. It is ok to let go. And if your heart still aches to watch small school players, you can always take a trip to North Central New Hampshire Polytechnic University and scout their college games.
Thanks for reminding me why I coined you and others as "bibbers" to begin with.  You need a bib to contain the drool when you're required to come up with an original thought. 

The fact that someone still needs to dredge up Gene Smith, or continue to use tired nicknames for him YEARS after he's gone shows just how incapable some of you are about to move on.   When you're called out for it, you resort to the tired old "Oh, he's your hero" nonsense when anyone with a functional IQ who has been on this board for long enough knows that's just more fabrication coming from the bib brigade.

Nowhere did I defend Smith in this thread, but you simply don't have the capability of recognizing that because you're so blinded by your unending obsession with Gene Smith.  It's sad actually.

Save yourself further embarrassment and move on.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He definitely deserves much of the blame, but at some point it's okay to move on. This team is so completely different from when he left here. Any bad ju ju he may have left behind has long since been exorcised.

I can get behind this.. Just might take longer for some of us..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Thanks for reminding me why I coined you and others as "bibbers" to begin with. You need a bib to contain the drool when you're required to come up with an original thought.

The fact that someone still needs to dredge up Gene Smith, or continue to use tired nicknames for him YEARS after he's gone shows just how incapable some of you are about moving on. When you're called out for it, you resort to the tired old "Oh, he's your hero" nonsense when anyone with a functional IQ who has been on this board for long enough knows that's just more fabrication coming from the bib brigade.

Save yourself further embarrassment and move on.

Ok. By the way, there's a huge game in the fall between Southeastern Delaware A&M and Central Rhode Island Tech. Apparently A&M has a backup long snapper that has 2nd round potential. If (when) you see Mr. Smiff there, tell him he is your hero and perhaps he will buy you an ice cream cone.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Ok. By the way, there's a huge game in the fall between Southeastern Delaware A&M and Central Rhode Island Tech. Apparently A&M has a backup long snapper that has 2nd round potential. If (when) you see Mr. Smiff there, tell him he is your hero and perhaps he will buy you an ice cream cone.

Like I said, it's sad how obsessed you are with the guy.  Borderline pathetic actually.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I can get behind this.. Just might take longer for some of us..
Clearly, some folks have thicker skulls than others.  Either that, or they've got pea sized brains and the thought is going to bounce around in their domes until it hits pay dirt.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015, 04:17 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

Quote:Any bad ju ju he may have left behind has long since been exorcised.
Not sure about this. We did just come off a 3-13 season. Start winning more games than we lose and the ghost of Gene can then be considered "long since excorcised."

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015, 04:17 PM by Joe.)

So if people think they are so mature and have "moved on" or that they don't " dwell on the past"... Why are you posting in this thread? Is it so hard to NOT read and put input into something?

Quote:Like I said, it's sad how obsessed you are with the guy. Borderline pathetic actually.

Relax guy. I'm sure Jeen Snuff appreciates you coming to his defense on the message board. He will be sure to sign you an autograph when you meet up to scout punter tryouts at Coney Island Community College. Maybe one of them will be worth a trade up in the 3rd round.

Quote:So if people think they are so mature and have "moved on" or that they don't " dwell on the past"... Why are you posting in this thread? Is it so hard to NOT read and put input into something?

Well, I've been entertained. The season can start now.

I'm sure once this team starts winning more than 3-4 games a season, that piece of dog excrement Gene will be a distant memory for sure..

The thing about Gene is that he wasn't just bad.  I mean I'm sure he was a hard worker as everyone touted him to be. Thing is... he barely left us with a modicum of talent.  Of his four drafts, only 4 players are left on the team.  Of which: 1 is a punter, and 1 is suspended indefinitely.  So no, he wasn't just bad.  He was Chip Kelly 2015 "I traded Nick Foles and a 2nd and 4th rounder for Sam Bradford" bad.  History has yet to judge Chip Kelly, but I have a feeling he's going to show that he just thinks he's the smartest person in the room.  Unfortunately for him, that's because he's the only one in the room.  Everyone else had to excuse themselves to go laugh in private at how ridiculous of a trade he made.

Gene rebuilt the wrong way from the beginning.  Trading a future second for a present third.  That was in his very first draft, and it was a move I never thought made sense when we were trying to rebuild.  

He had unfortunate luck with drafting Blaine Gabbert (not just drafting him, but trading up for him) but that alone wouldn't have been such an issue.  If more of his picks worked out, I think we'd be able to 'get over' Gene much easier.  Of course that'd be in part because Caldwell would have an easier time rebuilding, and we'd not have seen the last three years be some of the worst years in Jags history.  His hiring of Mularkey was a bunch of Malarkey, and something that most fans questioned instantly.  And with good reason  -- his track record in Buffalo was subpar.  

Caldwell basically inherited a disaster zone.   I think people will move on from Gene once the team has risen from the ashes of the fire that was Gene Smith.  We've had one of the youngest rosters in the NFL over the past couple of years in no small part thanks to Gene's tenure as GM.  That has led to inexperience on the field, and has led to mistakes.

I think worst of all was the way some in the media would tout Gene Smith as 'doing it the right way'.  We were told he was the hardest worker, and that he picked guys like MJD when Shack was here.  That Coughlin and everyone in the league thought highly of him.  His reputation looked to be nothing more than a myth.  We expected The Beatles, but we got Justin Beiber.  

When we start winning, Gene will be nothing more than a bad memory.  We'll be able to look at the Ex, and not even think about her.  But right now we're still waiting for our car to get repaired from when she took a hammer to it after we told her that dress absolutely did not make her look fat, to replace all of our old video games that she threw away because she didn't like them,  and repair friendships with the friends she alienated.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I'm sure once this team starts winning more than 3-4 games a season, that piece of dog excrement Gene will be a distant memory for sure..

Pretty much. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that folks continue to be critical of Gene, considering we are still suffering the consequences of his ineptitude.

Quote:The thing about Gene is that he wasn't just bad. I mean I'm sure he was a hard worker as everyone touted him to be. Thing is... he barely left us with a modicum of talent. Of his four drafts, only 4 players are left on the team. Of which: 1 is a punter, and 1 is suspended indefinitely. So no, he wasn't just bad. He was Chip Kelly 2015 "I traded Nick Foles and a 2nd and 4th rounder for Sam Bradford" bad. History has yet to judge Chip Kelly, but I have a feeling he's going to show that he just thinks he's the smartest person in the room. Unfortunately for him, that's because he's the only one in the room. Everyone else had to excuse themselves to go laugh in private at how ridiculous of a trade he made.

Gene rebuilt the wrong way from the beginning. Trading a future second for a present third. That was in his very first draft, and it was a move I never thought made sense when we were trying to rebuild.

He had unfortunate luck with drafting Blaine Gabbert (not just drafting him, but trading up for him) but that alone wouldn't have been such an issue. If more of his picks worked out, I think we'd be able to 'get over' Gene much easier. Of course that'd be in part because Caldwell would have an easier time rebuilding, and we'd not have seen the last three years be some of the worst years in Jags history. His hiring of Mularkey was a bunch of Malarkey, and something that most fans questioned instantly. And with good reason -- his track record in Buffalo was subpar.

Caldwell basically inherited a disaster zone. I think people will move on from Gene once the team has risen from the ashes of the fire that was Gene Smith. We've had one of the youngest rosters in the NFL over the past couple of years in no small part thanks to Gene's tenure as GM. That has led to inexperience on the field, and has led to mistakes.

I think worst of all was the way some in the media would tout Gene Smith as 'doing it the right way'. We were told he was the hardest worker, and that he picked guys like MJD when Shack was here. That Coughlin and everyone in the league thought highly of him. His reputation looked to be nothing more than a myth. We expected The Beatles, but we got Justin Beiber.

When we start winning, Gene will be nothing more than a bad memory. We'll be able to look at the Ex, and not even think about her. But right now we're still waiting for our car to get repaired from when she took a hammer to it after we told her that dress absolutely did not make her look fat, to replace all of our old video games that she threw away because she didn't like them, and repair friendships with the friends she alienated.

This is a perfect example why we should be able to +1, WAY MORE than just once..

Quote:Relax guy. I'm sure Jeen Snuff appreciates you coming to his defense on the message board. He will be sure to sign you an autograph when you meet up to scout punter tryouts at Coney Island Community College. Maybe one of them will be worth a trade up in the 3rd round.
Again, feel free to point out any sort of defense.  I'll wait for you to ring that bib out first.

Quote:The thing about Gene is that he wasn't just bad.  I mean I'm sure he was a hard worker as everyone touted him to be. Thing is... he barely left us with a modicum of talent.  Of his four drafts, only 4 players are left on the team.  Of which: 1 is a punter, and 1 is suspended indefinitely.  So no, he wasn't just bad.  He was Chip Kelly 2015 "I traded Nick Foles and a 2nd and 4th rounder for Sam Bradford" bad.  History has yet to judge Chip Kelly, but I have a feeling he's going to show that he just thinks he's the smartest person in the room.  Unfortunately for him, that's because he's the only one in the room.  Everyone else had to excuse themselves to go laugh in private at how ridiculous of a trade he made.

Gene rebuilt the wrong way from the beginning.  Trading a future second for a present third.  That was in his very first draft, and it was a move I never thought made sense when we were trying to rebuild.  

He had unfortunate luck with drafting Blaine Gabbert (not just drafting him, but trading up for him) but that alone wouldn't have been such an issue.  If more of his picks worked out, I think we'd be able to 'get over' Gene much easier.  Of course that'd be in part because Caldwell would have an easier time rebuilding, and we'd not have seen the last three years be some of the worst years in Jags history.  His hiring of Mularkey was a bunch of Malarkey, and something that most fans questioned instantly.  And with good reason  -- his track record in Buffalo was subpar.  

Caldwell basically inherited a disaster zone.   I think people will move on from Gene once the team has risen from the ashes of the fire that was Gene Smith.  We've had one of the youngest rosters in the NFL over the past couple of years in no small part thanks to Gene's tenure as GM.  That has led to inexperience on the field, and has led to mistakes.

I think worst of all was the way some in the media would tout Gene Smith as 'doing it the right way'.  We were told he was the hardest worker, and that he picked guys like MJD when Shack was here.  That Coughlin and everyone in the league thought highly of him.  His reputation looked to be nothing more than a myth.  We expected The Beatles, but we got Justin Beiber.  

When we start winning, Gene will be nothing more than a bad memory.  We'll be able to look at the Ex, and not even think about her.  But right now we're still waiting for our car to get repaired from when she took a hammer to it after we told her that dress absolutely did not make her look fat, to replace all of our old video games that she threw away because she didn't like them,  and repair friendships with the friends she alienated.  

I agree with this.  The media tried to portray it like Gene was going to outwork everyone else because he spent so much time at the stadium.  The guy was a good scout.  That was never his issue.  Where he ran into trouble was he believed he was an exceptional scout who could identify talent that others missed, and he made it a point of emphasis to look at smaller schools.  That approach is fine if you're peppering your roster in the later rounds with these guys.  That wasn't the case with Smith.

In the end, he worked really hard.  He didn't work smart. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN4CQuKkr58

Caldwell spent the first  year he was here just digging the team out of a very deep hole that Gene Smith created.  The void of talent was incredible.  Granted, there were some quality players in the mix, but not enough to warrant retention.  I didn't envy the job Caldwell was tasked with, but I certainly respected the fact that he deserved our patience because he did indeed inherit a train wreck.  His approach to fixing this isn't orthodox, and it's certainly not what many fans here would have preferred.  It still hasn't shown results in more wins, but this is year 3 where we should expect to see him finally turn that piece around.  Let's hope he gets it right so we don't need to start over again in another year or two.

Quote:I agree with this. The media tried to portray it like Gene was going to outwork everyone else because he spent so much time at the stadium. The guy was a good scout. That was never his issue. Where he ran into trouble was he believed he was an exceptional scout who could identify talent that others missed, and he made it a point of emphasis to look at smaller schools. That approach is fine if you're peppering your roster in the later rounds with these guys. That wasn't the case with Smith.

In the end, he worked really hard. He didn't work smart.

Caldwell spent the first year he was here just digging the team out of a very deep hole that Gene Smith created. The void of talent was incredible. Granted, there were some quality players in the mix, but not enough to warrant retention. I didn't envy the job Caldwell was tasked with, but I certainly respected the fact that he deserved our patience because he did indeed inherit a train wreck. His approach to fixing this isn't orthodox, and it's certainly not what many fans here would have preferred. It still hasn't shown results in more wins, but this is year 3 where we should expect to see him finally turn that piece around. Let's hope he gets it right so we don't need to start over again in another year or two.
Still have a hard time saying someone was a good scout when they traded up for Blaine Gabbert... Or chose him over JJ Watt... Or chose a punter over a super-bowl winning QB... Or choosing Tyson Alualu over JPP... You get the point.

Quote:Still have a hard time saying someone was a good scout when they traded up for Blaine Gabbert... Or chose him over JJ Watt... Or chose a punter over a super-bowl winning QB... Or choosing Tyson Alualu over JPP... You get the point.

Being a good scout and making good personnel decisions are two very different things. 

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015, 05:29 PM by Joe.)

Quote:Being a good scout and making good personnel decisions are two very different things.
Not when that is 90% of your job.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015, 06:05 PM by TJBender.)

Hi, OP here. For what it's worth, I was over Gene the day we fired him. He set the team back, yeah, but he's done and gone. My goal posting this was to get a few cheap laughs. Clearly I did in the intended way, and also by getting to watch a bunch of you act like children over whether Gene stealing your lunch money all those years ago is something to be forgotten or a lifelong grudge. So, from the bottom of my heart, thanks for that. Nothing beats turning on your phone after spending two and a half hours in the middle seat between two whales to see that your joke has whipped the same predictable crowd into a delightful, if unintentional, frenzy.

Quote:Again, feel free to point out any sort of defense. I'll wait for you to ring that bib out first.

Speaking of defense, I hear Northern South Dakota State has two linebackers that may be able to help us. They will probably be there in the 6th round, so we can just trade next year's 1st rounder to move back into the 6th and take both of them. It's like using a pick one year earlier!