Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the draft now over, does everyone still feel like this team is a sub .500 team heading into the 2015 season?

Many of us were hoping that Caldwell and Co. would have a solid draft this year, but nobody else (except me) expected the draft to be this good. Caldwell brought in a lot of solid players with playmaking ability, add onto that a decent pool of free agents, as well as a dozen or so second and third year players, and we have a really good looking team right now. Obviously OTA's, training camp, and the preseason will give us a big glimpse as to how this team will perform; the regular season will show how serious the organization has been in trying to build a winning team. 16-0 anyone?

Keep it up Dave!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The talent level on this team is far and away the highest it's been since Gus and Dave took over.  The wins will come with it, I'm confident in that.

Quote:The talent level on this team is far and away the highest it's been since Gus and Dave took over.  The wins will come with it, I'm confident in that.
I feel the same. Best roster in years.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

A .500 team right now would be a blessing.. Excellent draft, but I think these guys are gonna need a year to gel.. Hope I'm wrong and they take off immediately though..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Many of us were hoping that Caldwell and Co. would have a solid draft this year, but nobody else (except me) expected the draft to be this good. Caldwell brought in a lot of solid players with playmaking ability, add onto that a decent pool of free agents, as well as a dozen or so second and third year players, and we have a really good looking team right now. Obviously OTA's, training camp, and the preseason will give us a big glimpse as to how this team will perform; the regular season will show how serious the organization has been in trying to build a winning team. 16-0 anyone?

Keep it up Dave!

If the offensive line is middle of the league or better the team gets to .500, and I believe that wholeheartedly. The o-line was terrible last year and Bortles tried his hardest but couldn't make up for all of it. If the season sack total is cut in half or better the record will improve significantly.

That's still to be seen. As of now no. We still have a long way to go. But if Bortles actually plays like someone who was drafted 3rd overall... Lookout Colts.
-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

The depth and talent along the offensive line alone is reason for optimism.

I have a dinner wager with a Bills fan who asserts the Jaguars will once again lead the league in sacks allowed.

I see no way that happens with the new guys on the team, with a new OL coach, a new offense with a coordinator that stresses protection, an experienced QB and experienced receivers, and a new RB.

I can see 3-4 starters coming out of this draft by midseason at the latest.

Fowler

Yeldon

Cann

Sample

With at least three other contributors

Koyack

Bennett

Greene

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:If the offensive line is middle of the league or better the team gets to .500, and I believe that wholeheartedly. The o-line was terrible last year and Bortles tried his hardest but couldn't make up for all of it. If the season sack total is cut in half or better the record will improve significantly.

I agree.  Blake tried the best he could, resulting in a lot of bad play by him.  He was doing all he could but it just wasn't going to happen.  Some of the sacks were on him but I feel those were equaled out by the sacks he avoided due to his ability.

If the sack numbers can get towards the 30s, the wins will come.  Blake cannot get hit as much as he did last year.  If he does, it may be the end of him.

I said it in another thread but I think the OL makes a turnaround with all the improvements in talent, coaching etc.  I think they go from a weakness to a strength.  That's a lot to ask for but I see it happening. 

These guys need to not have pressure on them to be great this year. I would rather say they need a year before most of them start flashing. But on paper, this looks like the strongest class in a decade.

Quote:I agree.  Blake tried the best he could, resulting in a lot of bad play by him.  He was doing all he could but it just wasn't going to happen.  Some of the sacks were on him but I feel those were equaled out by the sacks he avoided due to his ability.

If the sack numbers can get towards the 30s, the wins will come.  Blake cannot get hit as much as he did last year.  If he does, it may be the end of him.

I said it in another thread but I think the OL makes a turnaround with all the improvements in talent, coaching etc.  I think they go from a weakness to a strength.  That's a lot to ask for but I see it happening. 

I think I recall reading somewhere that half of Watt's sacks in 2014 were against the Jaguars or Titans. I look forward to the NFL talking heads talking about what a down season he's having come late next season.

So Catfanatic,

You think this class is actually stronger than last year's?

I like this class too, but I don't know if I am prepared to say that.

I know I like Bennett better than I liked Bowanko at this point last year.

I think I like Cann better than I liked Linder at this point last year (but I really like Linder now).

But better than last year's class? 

That's a good question.

Quote:The depth and talent along the offensive line alone is reason for optimism.

I have a dinner wager with a Bills fan who asserts the Jaguars will once again lead the league in sacks allowed.

I see no way that happens with the new guys on the team, with a new OL coach, a new offense with a coordinator that stresses protection, an experienced QB and experienced receivers, and a new RB.

I can see 3-4 starters coming out of this draft by midseason at the latest.

Fowler

Yeldon

Cann

Sample

With at least three other contributors

Koyack

Bennett

Greene

Agree on all counts, Bullseye.

I think Bennett gets some good playing time early.  

Cann might be my favorite pick based on value alone.  I think there is a real chance he ends up starting week 1.   If not week 1 then sometime early on in the season. 

Weldon is a better all around back than the Jaguars have had since MJD was in his better years.  He's an instant starter.

Denard is going to be given KR duties from what I've read and I think that's a job that fits him well.  He's got good skills for that and I look forward to seeing how he handles it.

I love the energy from Fowler.  I was a Fowler guy early on, then switched to Beasley.  Listening to Fowler after the draft and what Gus and Dave has to say about him, I can see why they picked him.  He's going to have a lot of jobs across the defense this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Koyack takes over for Lewis sooner rather than later.  Underrated pass catcher too.  I like the value and could see that turning into a similar pick to McCray in the 7th.

Quote:I think I recall reading somewhere that half of Watt's sacks in 2014 were against the Jaguars or Titans. I look forward to the NFL talking heads talking about what a down season he's having come late next season.

I just went and looked...14 of his sacks came against the AFC South.  Wow.

6 against the Jags and 4 each against the Titans and Colts

I think if Yeldon can approximate James Stewart, he will help ease the burden on Bortles.

I think a reasonable expectation for him is somewhere between Stewart and MJD in terms of quality.

Quote:I just went and looked...14 of his sacks came against the AFC South.  Wow.

6 against the Jags and 4 each against the Titans and Colts

Wow that's crazy. Maybe he can have a pretty good year with the colts giving up 10, then.

This is without question the deepest the roster has been in recent memory.  Injuries will happen but it doesn't seem like we'll have to worry about just throwing bodies at voids like recent years.  That isn't to say there aren't some remaining roster worries but all in all I like how it's shaping up.

Problem is the other 31 teams are also improving.  As terrible as the team has been recently there's no question in my mind that they'd be a playoff caliber squad 20 years ago.

Every team will have a few positions where the dropoff in talent will be substantial but at least it's closer to resembling an NFL roster now. 

Quote:A .500 team right now would be a blessing.. Excellent draft, but I think these guys are gonna need a year to gel.. Hope I'm wrong and they take off immediately though..
think u may be right....a year to gel...

but I do expect much improved offense this year

Yes. Five wins tops, unless we get a bunch of lucky bounces our way, which never happens.

I'd be ecstatic with 7 or 8.

If Bortles develops, then I think the team can win several games.

If he doesn't, then we'll be in the dumpster again.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Not sure how our entire draft compares to AFCS rivals