Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Michael Bennett = steal of the draft

Quote:Only watched a couple games of his but was not overly impressed. Looks to be a decent disrupter but not overly stout at the point of attack. He slipped to the 6th round for some reason and it could have been he's just not as highly thought of in NFL circles compared to the internet draftniks.

I think he just got lost in the shuffle. I'm sure there were teams considering him in rounds two and three who passed due to a medical red flag, and then he just got overlooked with teams having different needs. Players occasionally just slip through the cracks. I'm sure a number of teams shied away simply from the fact that he was falling thinking there might be more to his medical condition than they knew. The Jaguars were quick to realize when they saw him sitting there in rounds five and six that even in a worst case scenario, he'd be ready to go by the start of training camp.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

From what I've seen and read it's just because he's a pure 3-tech so wasn't a fit for some teams. His agent had the Jags down as a perfect fit, and he totally is for our defensive scheme. Was an outstanding pick in the 6th. Had second round grades across the board.

Great pick in the sixth round, definitely has earlier round talent. He can play with more consistency as he looks to play in spurts. That could be from conditioning and getting lots of reps or maybe he just doesn't have the best motor. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Should be a perfect fit in the Jags rotation.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Conditoning seems to have been an issue... but here, he will probably start off as a situational player looking to be a disruptive force as a 3T, which is perfect for him.  We don't need him to be an every-down DT right now.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Conditoning seems to have been an issue... but here, he will probably start off as a situational player looking to be a disruptive force as a 3T, which is perfect for him. We don't need him to be an every-down DT right now.

True this is what I saw as well. He also looked to play better/harder in the bigger games (Wisconsin/Bama). If he can play like that in limited reps here, I think he can be a difference maker early.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

If JDR was here, you can bet anything that you'd see AJ Cann do the Oklahoma drill against Michael Mennett

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:If JDR was here, you can bet anything that you'd see AJ Cann do the Oklahoma drill against Michael Mennett

I do miss those Oklahoma's.. Bout it though..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Drafting him kind of makes up for not getting Williams

No it doesn't. We picked Dante Fowler because he fits our defense purrfectly and fills a need. Leonard Williams is like J.J. Watt - strictly a lineman, but can play outside or inside. Michael Bennett only plays inside, so he can't be compared to Williams, but becomes an instant starter because of injuries and future long-term fixture on the line.

Quote:Like I just said in the other thread, we just got a better 3T pass rusher than the Jets picked at 6 overall. Home run as long as the medicals aren't way way scarier than we know. 

I am sure the team did everything to figure out how bad the injury is, so it can't be way way scarier than we know.

Why do you think Bennett is a better 3T than Williams?

Quote:I think this is the best Jaguars draft I've seen in years....maybe best in their history

Could have multiple probowlers in this class
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:I like the pick you got an injured Marks & Miller needed Depth at the position and challenge the starters to start.

I hate it when people say a team needs to fill a position through the draft because a veteran tore his ACL. C'mon man, a draft pick is here at least 4-5 years, not the one season a veteran player is on PUP or IR. Why not think of Michael Bennett as a future fixture on the defensive line either as a rotational player or eventual long-term starter?

Quote:I think this is the best Jaguars draft I've seen in years....maybe best in their history

No way is it the best draft in history. We reached on T.J. Yeldon in Round 2. I read we got a strong safety, not a free safety, which is obviously a bigger need. But we got some good guys so I can't complain.

Quote:On NFL Sirius Network at the time of the pick, they said something medical may be an issue. They didn't know for sure but praised the pick pretty hard.

If they don't know, it is not an issue.

Quote:The best value since Brewster was an UDFA?

Thinking about former Buckeyes, huh? That really is the only comparison because Mike Brewster was a backup and eventually cut.

Quote:I hope he introduces himself to Andrew Luck.

Oh man, wouldn't it be awesome if that is his first sack or forced fumble.

Quote:Ziggy Hood. You're on notice as well.

.... i was slightly optimistic last season thinking that he wasn't fit for the Steelers 3-4 defense.   Now after watching him in the 4-3 defense, I'm thinking he needs to transition over to the Arena and help the Sharks out.

Quote:Yeah...since...last year.  :teehee:
:woot: ...why...you're right!

Seems to me like Dave's doing a pretty good job as GM. If it turns out that we can't even break at least 6 wins this season then I have to start thinking that it's not a problem with a lack of fundamental talent on the field. Let's see...

we have a top tier owner

we have what has proven to be a top tier GM

we have awesome facilities

we have a fan base who is loyal beyond any rational given our record

we have a pretty good over-all roster

We're rapidly running out of excuses to be a bottom dwelling laughing stock in the NFL. I'm ready to see this team turn the corner this season. :yes:

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...