Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What Happens With Toby?

Quote:We're getting away from the fullback concept. We've entered the modern NFL.

Quote:Meanwhile Tennessee drafts one in the fourth round...

And also drafted a Spread/Read Option Quarterback.

Sometimes it felt like they were picking names out of a hat or something.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:And also drafted a Spread/Read Option Quarterback.

Sometimes it felt like they were picking names out of a hat or something.

I liked the fact they drafted right before us and each pick was noticeably better by us.

;

;

Quote:I liked the fact they drafted right before us and each pick was noticeably better by us.

Yep!

Oh, you got a Quarterback? We got a guy who is going to try and break him in half!

You got a fancy shmancy Wideout? Well we got a Running Back who is gonna keep him on the bench.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Keepers: Yeldon, Denard

Those that should be on the fence or have something to prove: Gerhart, Pierce, Storm, Grant.

I want to see Grant in action with our team.

Gerhart needs a head of steam to be anything near effective. Our line has to really  open up holes. 

I think Pierce will be the odd man out. Toby will be our short yardage/goal-line back. Might even have him as an H back type roll.

Yeldon will start with Denard being primary backup/3rd down back (he improved his hands last year).

Quote:Keepers: Yeldon, Denard

Those that should be on the fence or have something to prove: Gerhart, Pierce, Storm, Grant.

I want to see Grant in action with our team.
If Grant wins the KR job, all of a sudden he takes the roster spot of somebody else.

Quote:Toby will probably stay. You have to also remember - this team isn't just going to give up on any of their draft picks or high $$ free agents. The first ones to get cut are players from the previous regime or waiver wire pickups.

Like Red Bryant?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Who the hell am I supposed to set as FB in Madden now? Caldwell needs to THINK about these things.
It's ok, they'll probably plug Gerhart in there and have him be 90 OVR or something ridiculous like that.

Quote:Toby will probably stay.  You have to also remember - this team isn't just going to give up on any of their draft picks or high $$ free agents.  The first ones to get cut are players from the previous regime or waiver wire pickups.
Uhh... contracts were club favorable.

If for some reason Toby is bottom of the barrel, they'll cut him if they need to.

Same for Beadles.

They already canned Bryant. Clemons could be next.

BTW, all the RBs rostered are from THIS regime. 

Quote:It's gonna be Storm and Pierce fighting for a spot. Toby is safe this year.
Yup.  Gerhart isn't going anywhere.  Especially if what they were saying on 1010XL this morning about him is true and he played with an ankle injury that was far worse than anyone ever reported. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Like Red Bryant?
Red Bryant was a high priced free agent?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:If Grant wins the KR job, all of a sudden he takes the roster spot of somebody else.

That will be an interesting battle as well. It sounds like Dave wants DRob to do some KR duties this year.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Red Bryant was a high priced free agent?
I think his point was that Dave isn't afraid to cut his free agent pick ups.

Quote:I think his point was that Dave isn't afraid to cut his free agent pick ups.

I don't think Bryant would be considered a good example there because when he was signed, it was widely thought he was a 1  year band aid.  Plus, he didn't exactly command top free agent money coming here. 

Quote:I don't think Bryant would be considered a good example there because when he was signed, it was widely thought he was a 1  year band aid.  Plus, he didn't exactly command top free agent money coming here. 
True enough... but most of the contracts were structured in a way that any of them could be 1 or 2 year band aids.

I suspect if we cut a RB currently rostered it'll be Pierce.

But a cut of Clemons, Toby, or Ziggy would not surprise me.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about cutting high priced DFlo/Porter type guys.

Quote:True enough... but most of the contracts were structured in a way that any of them could be 1 or 2 year band aids.

I suspect if we cut a RB currently rostered it'll be Pierce.

But a cut of Clemons, Toby, or Ziggy would not surprise me.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about cutting high priced DFlo/Porter type guys.

Exactly.  We're not married to almost any free agents that the team acquired in '13 or '14 the way they structured the deals.  They've made a deeper investment this year with at least one guy, so there's at least the expectation of a long engagement.

I think Pierce was brought in as a "let's have a look" kind of thing, and as an insurance policy depending on what happened in the draft.  Odds are he winds up being that odd man out unless a guy like Johnson falls flat this year.  They gave him $555k guaranteed.  That's peanuts in the grand scheme of things. 

Pierce would REALLY have to show something to get a spot. Yeldon and D.Robinson are locks. Gerhart will be given a chance now that he is healthy. If we only keep 4 then Pierce would have to outplay Storm. I would believe if all things are about equal they would go with Storm. If they keep five maybe Pierce makes it, but I think they will take a chance on Grant. 

I think it's Toby at FB/HB, then Yeldon Denard with Storm and Grant on the bubble and Pierce gone.  I hope Grant makes a way on the field even as a gunner because of his speed.  But he also put up 22 reps of 225# and a good vertical.

Quote:Exactly.  We're not married to almost any free agents that the team acquired in '13 or '14 the way they structured the deals.  They've made a deeper investment this year with at least one guy, so there's at least the expectation of a long engagement.

I think Pierce was brought in as a "let's have a look" kind of thing, and as an insurance policy depending on what happened in the draft.  Odds are he winds up being that odd man out unless a guy like Johnson falls flat this year.  They gave him $555k guaranteed.  That's peanuts in the grand scheme of things. 
The Jaguars gave Pierce guaranteed money after claiming him on waivers?