Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What Happens With Toby?

Quote:The Jaguars gave Pierce guaranteed money after claiming him on waivers?

IIRC if you select a player off the waivers then you must honor the contract terms that he had.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When looking at a potential depth chart at the RB position, and considering how Caldwell is saying we probably keep 5 RBs since there's no longer a FB position, I'm wondering who those five will be. Now the easy answer might be Yeldon, DRob, Gerhart, Pierce and Storm with Corey Grant possibly on the Practice Squad. However, I suspect the team might covet Grant's speed enough to keep him on the roster, and if they do, it's a tough call on who do you cut. I think they like how Storm is young and might develop into something special, so I imagine they'd turn their attention to the two veteran bruisers. It could very well come down to a choice between keeping Toby Gerhart or Bernard Pierce while letting the other walk. Who would you keep and why?
Yeldon and Gerhart for sure since they fit the offensive profile of Olsen better. DRob since he said he wants to be the #1... let him prove it on the field. Pierce and Grant are both worthy. Storm, while fast, isn't very big and in Olsens type running game just doens't seem like a fit.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Gerhart is not going anywhere, he is basically our Full Back

It'll be Yeldon, DROB, Gerhart, then Pierce/ Storm

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:Red Bryant was a high priced free agent?

And Gerhart was high-price?  Your point?  I'd say Bryant was certainly higher-priced.  So yeah, in comparison to the player referenced, he was high-priced.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Didn't Coach Olson use Marcel Reese as an h-back and move him around? I imagine between Gerhard and Pierce it will be whoever can best fill that same role will get to stay.

denard deserves the start imo, then yelden, put tobey at "fb"

Quote:Slowby might go to FB team doesnt have a clear one unless Yeldon will do that with Shoelace as the hB?
Theres no way they keep all of them, plus that kid from Auburn is intriguing, dude ran like a sub 4.27 at his pro day!!! Im not ready to give up on Storm either, i think in his limited role, he played solid. Id rather have him than Toby. Maybe Pierce and Toby fight it out for the fullback/ H back whatever it is. Yeldon is a bruiser so its not like they would take him out in goal line situations for Toby. Yeldon actually scores. 

Quote:And Gerhart was high-price?  Your point?  I'd say Bryant was certainly higher-priced.  So yeah, in comparison to the player referenced, he was high-priced.
Bryant's contract was pretty much market standard for that position. We have very different definitions for "high priced" free agents.

Quote:Gerhart is not going anywhere, he is basically our Full Back

It'll be Yeldon, DROB, Gerhart, then Pierce/ Storm

I think you're right that Gerhart isn't going anywhere.  I disagree that he's going to somehow turn into a fullback. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Bryant's contract was pretty much market standard for that position. We have very different definitions for "high priced" free agents.

Lord...go to the post/poster I replied to for a little context. Sheesh.

Quote:Theres no way they keep all of them, plus that kid from Auburn is intriguing, dude ran like a sub 4.27 at his pro day!!! Im not ready to give up on Storm either, i think in his limited role, he played solid. Id rather have him than Toby. Maybe Pierce and Toby fight it out for the fullback/ H back whatever it is. Yeldon is a bruiser so its not like they would take him out in goal line situations for Toby. Yeldon actually scores.

I agree with this. I think you can get out of Yeldon and Pierce whatever you would ask from Toby. I believe Pierce has the speed advantage over Toby, and has only been in the league a couple of years. If it has to either Toby or Pierce, I'm in favor of keeping Pierce. I don't see the benefit to keeping Toby on the team. Seems like a great guy, but his speed is appearing to be gearing down (pun intended)

I love the fact that there is all this talk revolving around our running game but for me at least........Yeldon, Smeldon..............it matters very little because IMO...........as far as Toby Gerhart is concerned, it's HIS to lose. Meaning, his place on this team. And, all this talk of moving him to FB...........that would be the kiss of death.........unless Olson intends on going to a two back offense of equal or close to equal amount of carries for the FB and RB. I say this because there is NO WAY Toby Gerhart will a move to the FB position again unless he is promised touches. Gerhart is a running back and has been from the time he stepped onto a football field as a youngster. Just because he's a brute size wise does not automatically spell FB. HE IS A RB............pure and simple. So, to wrap it up thee ONLY way he would agree to a move to the FB position is being "promised significant carries" or he has "sold out" for the money and no longer dreams of being a big time feature back. Personally, I don't believe it's in his DNA to sell out to anything like that. Said before on other threads, training camp at the RB position sure is gonna be interesting with or without DRO or Yeldon or Johnson or whoever else they might want to throw in the mix. Don't be surprised when all the smoke clears, if Toby Gerhart is the starter.

Quote:Don't be surprised when all the smoke clears, if Toby Gerhart is the starter.
Actually, this would greatly surprise me. Toby will have a role, but Yeldon will be the starter short of his right leg falling off.

I hope they dont keep him for short yardage. He has failed on multiple attempts to get one or two yards.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Actually, this would greatly surprise me. Toby will have a role, but Yeldon will be the starter short of his right leg falling off.

So we're OK if his left leg falls off? Smile

Quote:So we're OK if his left leg falls off? Smile
Yeah, he can hop at a 4.8 clip on his right leg. He'd have to shift to a two-down role, but there's no reason to believe he couldn't still be a productive player.

I think Gerhart gets another chance for three reasons.

We don't need to cut him

We need to see what he can do when fully fit and behind a better OLine

And because he offers something different to the shifty Yeldon and the speedy Robinson.

Quote:I think Gerhart gets another chance for three reasons.

We don't need to cut him

We need to see what he can do when fully fit and behind a better OLine

And because he offers something different to the shifty Yeldon and the speedy Robinson.

Logical, concise and accurate. Thank you.

Quote:Yeldon automatically is the starter, period. Denard is our change of pace guy. You have Toby, Pierce and Storm fighting for two spots? Or is Toby the Fullback? I said last year he should of been a fullback. Or maybe we draft a fullback later in the draft. 

Toby will be on the roster.  He's cheap so it doesn't make sense to cut him.  Dave said they won't have a fullback on the roster.  That means they'll probably be running a lot of 11 and 12 personel formations.  I'm good with that.

As for Toby, he's still better than the bottom of the chart guys.

I heard them talking about this situation with the Dline on Jaguars Today a couple days ago.  Last year's starters are shaping up to be this year's backups for a few spots.  That's a good thing.  That means we're getting better.  Toby would count as one of those positions where he was a starter last year that is depth this year.  You're only one injury away from playing your backups, so you don't cut your depth.