Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles would have been the first QB taken this year

There's no doubt in my mind about that anymore. Looking at how the draft process played out, I am 100% certain Bortles would have ended up being picked by Tampa Bay at 1 if he had stayed at UCF. With the off field concerns Jameis had and the on field concerns of Mariota, teams would have looked at Bortles and clearly graded him as the number 1 quarterback and the best combination of on field talent and off field maturity. He has prototypical size even better than Jameis while being able to move well, would have played in a more pro style system than Mariota even if it had spread elements, a good head on his shoulders, and if he had stayed, it stands to reason his mechanics would have continued to improve and his on field production would have taken a jump as well. And he's still an in-state kid. I'm glad we got him last year because I definitely feel like he will end up being the better pro of the 3 and he will be able to show people why he went so high this year now that he will have an actual chance with an o-line that can block, a good running game, and receivers that have actual NFL experience now. Not to mention the experience he's had himself.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Maybe not ahead of Winston but I think he would have been picked ahead of Mariota. 

I've heard a number of scouts interviewed who said the same thing.

Dave always scouts forward to next year when picking players. He did the same when he picked Fowler citing a weak pass rushing class next year. So if Dave doesn't come away with a FS in this year's draft its probably because he's spotted better prospects in next year's draft.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Assuming same 3 teams at 1-2-3- they would have gone 1-2-3 in some order.  I wonder if 3 QBs have ever been picked with the top 3 picks.  Bright side..we're a year ahead in development.  

I was skeptical at first but I agree with you. Not only is he a much cleaner prospect than Winston, I think his game is just as good, though different. He creates more. In a way he's a mixture of Marcus and Winston- came from an offence that mixed pro and spread concepts, mobile but able to play from the pocket... glad he's ours.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Just ask yourself the question, if you were the Jags GM:

Which QB would you take, Bortles, Winston or Mariota, if all 3 were available to you at your spot, when you were drafting?

And of course you get to factor in everything you know, on and off the field, about all of them.

Well, who would it be?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Not a biased FSU fan but gimme Winston plus the baggage all day over Bortles. Not saying bortles was a bad choice but id rank them

Winston > gabbert (prospect) > bortles > mariota

@huttops what is your reasoning?

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:Not a biased FSU fan but gimme Winston plus the baggage all day over Bortles. Not saying bortles was a bad choice but id rank them

Winston > gabbert (prospect) > bortles > mariota

Do u also rate Ryan leaf (prospect)> Peyton Manning

Bortles left while the iron was hot. We don't have a clue of how his senior season would've turned out. He was a late-riser QB unlike the Winston and Mariota. The radar had been on those two for awhile.

Quote:Just ask yourself the question, if you were the Jags GM:

Which QB would you take, Bortles, Winston or Mariota, if all 3 were available to you at your spot, when you were drafting?

And of course you get to factor in everything you know, on and off the field, about all of them.

Well, who would it be?

Well, I was never fond of Mariota.  He could very well turn out to be another Tebow in my opinion.  Bortles vs Winston is more intriguing.  Honestly, I think I would have picked Winston of the two because of the level of competition. 

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Well, I was never fond of Mariota.  He could very well turn out to be another Tebow in my opinion.  Bortles vs Winston is more intriguing.  Honestly, I think I would have picked Winston of the two because of the level of competition. 
Bortles played against Baylor, South Carolina, Missouri, Penn St., Louisvllle,  and Ohio St.

Jaemis is better. Not even close.

Quote:Jaemis is better. Not even close.

What's your reasoning for this?

Quote:Jaemis is better. Not even close.

With his head, I'd say they are close. Both have the same upside. Winstons floor would be higher if he wasn't an idiot.

Bortles > either of the two taken this year and honestly I'm not sure it's that close.

Im a die-hard fan. He would have been the first qb taken... after the two at the top

He would've been after Winston but before Mariota.

and water is wet