Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tesla Launches Powerwall Home Battery

I'm very interested in this product, looks like it works as a better option for battery reserve for both grid and solar power systems.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-launche...58174.html

http://www.teslamotors.com/presskit/teslaenergy

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015, 11:36 AM by rollerjag.)

I read about the Tesla battery, and am also intrigued. I'm not looking to get off the grid, but would like a reliable, seamless backup system for when power in my rural location goes out. One company offers a lease option - $1500 down and $15 per month for 10 years, after which the battery is reclaimed. It's unclear what one does after the lease period expires.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I read about the Tesla battery, and am also intrigued. I'm not looking to get off the grid, but would like a reliable, seamless backup system for when power in my rural location goes out. One company offers a lease option - $1500 down and $15 per month for 10 years, after which the battery is reclaimed. It's unclear what one does after the lease period expires.

I wouldn't lease it but I'd buy it. I think it's going to eventually replace the generators everyone has in their garage. Even for people in urban area's once the price is a little more affordable. It'll become standard to mount one and let it charge off your electricity, then when the power runs out, you still have emergency power.

I'm interested in integrating it with a solar system we're trying to design. I'd like to eliminate the need for the utility company all together on our homestead but that requires lots and lots of research and then some significant money.

I did structural design work on the Gigafactory these will be built at. I love all things Tesla/Musk and not that it matters much in the overall product but that is the hardest client I have ever worked for. 

Quote:I did structural design work on the Gigafactory these will be built at. I love all things Tesla/Musk and not that it matters much in the overall product but that is the hardest client I have ever worked for. 

I have a deep respect for Musk he's brilliant and I'm not surprised at all to hear this.

Quote:I wouldn't lease it but I'd buy it. I think it's going to eventually replace the generators everyone has in their garage. Even for people in urban area's once the price is a little more affordable. It'll become standard to mount one and let it charge off your electricity, then when the power runs out, you still have emergency power.

I'm interested in integrating it with a solar system we're trying to design. I'd like to eliminate the need for the utility company all together on our homestead but that requires lots and lots of research and then some significant money.
One other way it could work (which is mentioned in the article) is to serve as storage for solar power when there is little demand but lots of sun. It can then discharge when demand is high and little sun. It would make the process of expanding solar capacity so much easier because right now, trying to fit solar panels onto the existing grid in terms of demand and capacity is a right pain in the backside. 

Quote:One other way it could work (which is mentioned in the article) is to serve as storage for solar power when there is little demand but lots of sun. It can then discharge when demand is high and little sun. It would make the process of expanding solar capacity so much easier because right now, trying to fit solar panels onto the existing grid in terms of demand and capacity is a right pain in the backside. 

yup I've been waiting for this to come out so I can research it more, I read a small article about them coming out with something back in January. As it is before this technology I would need roughly 45 - panels on my roof to go full time solar which is just an astronomical task. Hopefully this can help me to adjust that number down a little but I gotta look into it more.

Quote:I have a deep respect for Musk he's brilliant and I'm not surprised at all to hear this.
It wasn't even him. He was barely involved but I imagine the people he hired for the company were hired for there qualities in that regard, 

My power bill isn't too crazy, but I love the thought of this as a backup.

Quote:My power bill isn't too crazy, but I love the thought of this as a backup.

I think that's what it's really designed for. To replace the modern day gas powered generators.

Quote:I think that's what it's really designed for. To replace the modern day gas powered generators.

We should strive to get off the grid entirely. Companies like JEA will eventually be the thing of the past.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015, 05:05 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:We should strive to get off the grid entirely. Companies like JEA will eventually be the thing of the past.

This kind of technology might make that possible one day soon. You already have crazies like me that are hell bent on off grid self sufficient living but other then that the average sub-urban or city home isn't really contemplating off grid electricity because of the significant cost.

For example right now to achieve 900 kwh you would need 45 - 200watt panels mounted with 4.5 hours of sun light to keep the system charged during the night and lower sunlight days.

But if this battery can improve the storage of energy during sunlight hours you might only need 20-200watt panels mounted with 4.5 hours of sun light.

Right now the battery backups have a huge loss, I'm curious to see if these new telsa systems are really more efficient and able to better store the energy. This is exciting stuff.

How sturdy are the panels? Can they be disassembled and stored in case of an emergency? I'm thinking hurricane, when you would need the panels and battery after the storm.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 06:24 AM by EricC85.)

Quote:How sturdy are the panels? Can they be disassembled and stored in case of an emergency? I'm thinking hurricane, when you would need the panels and battery after the storm.
The powerwall battery works as a backup for low periods or outages so you wouldn't want to take it down and put it back simply because if you wait for an outage the battery isn't charged.

It also requires an electrician to install so I'm assuming it's more a permenant structure. As for size as stability I read it's about 4ft x 4ft and weighs under 100lbs.

Jag86fan another thought you where asking about the panels I'm assuming you mean solar panels? They don't come with the powerwall unit however you don't need solar to use it as a reserve power source. This unit would tie into your normal electric grid and throttle usage (charge during low periods discharge during high use periods) in addition to store reserve power.

I want one!