Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell's Change in Approach?

Jaguars' GM Dave Caldwell was on 1010XL earlier today (and Frangie just announced they will air the interview again later this afternoon), and he said something particularly interesting today.

Specifically, he has indicated his approach to the draft will change this year.

He said in the past couple of drafts, he took a needs based approach to picking players.

But this year, he said the team will take more of a BAP approach to the draft.

Now of all the things he could have said and actually said, I did not expect this at all.

In the seemingly countless debates on this board regarding BAP vs. Needs based drafting, I think the paradigm among those of us on either side of this debate was that BAP vs. Needs was pretty much a constant philosophy within a given organization.  In other words, absent a change in the people running the drafts, teams are either needs based or BAP based, and they don't deviate from the approach.  At least that's the assumption I made.

Caldwell's statements today indicate the drafting philosophy could change from year to year.

I know GMs give a whole bunch of smokescreens this time of year, and know GMS don't read message boards, but somehow I can picture him chuckling over the prospect of us debating this change, imagining our collective heads exploding. 

What do you think about this?

Is this part of a larger smokescreen?

Is this a legitimate change in approach?

Given how successful last year's draft seems to have been, should he change the approach?

Does it matter?

To me, as long as he is evaluating the players properly and drafting accordingly, it doesn't matter.

But it is interesting to see this shift.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am not that shocked about the potential change in philosophy. The team was lacking so much in talent that Caldwell was essentially forced to implement a needs drafting strategy. This year, they were pretty active in free agency and were able to address some holes and we have gotten some pretty good play from some of Caldwell's draft picks which can allow him to go BAP this year. 

Quote:I am not that shocked about the potential change in philosophy. The team was lacking so much in talent that Caldwell was essentially forced to implement a needs drafting strategy. This year, they were pretty active in free agency and were able to address some holes and we have gotten some pretty good play from some of Caldwell's draft picks which can allow him to go BAP this year. 
But that could also go the other way, too.

Now that the needs have been narrowed, he could focus on those needs he hasn't addressed.

It should change because we were rebuilding and were transitioning, just like how the FA strategy changed.  I think the whole need vs BAP thing is pointless.  In the end, you pick players based on how much they would improve the team. You can do that picking need or BAP.  If you're picking strict BAP, your roster is probably either completely stacked or completely devoid to the point where BAP and need are the same thing.

He mentioned this earlier also. He said we could line up right now on both sides of the ball if there was a game tomorrow. BAP is the best way to go.
Shock the world

I think that's a positive thing to hear! It means they don't have as many pressing needs and have the luxury of taking the true BAP, as long as that holds true. For some reason all of our past GM's would say it, but then not do it.

Regardless of whether you're a "needs" drafter or "BAP" drafter, you're looking to get value. The thing I find interesting is that Gene Smith claimed to be a BAP drafter yet his draft picks appeared to be the exact opposite. Then Caldwell came in and claimed to be a needs drafter and has pretty much been a BAP drafter. Yes, he's addressed some needs in the past two drafts but the needs were all over the place. He's gotten a ton of value and that's at the heart of the BAP philosophy.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Oh, man. This debate again?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Oh, man. This debate again?
Yes this debate again.

BTW, sorry for the loss of your dog. 

I don't think any good GM is a "needs" drafter or a "BAP" drafter. if the best player available is a QB you're not going to take him a year after taking a QB etc.

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 04:37 PM by The Real Marty.)

This all sounds suspiciously like Gene Smith's "The team is finished, I have no more holes to fill, so I'm going to take a punter in round 3."  

We were 3-13 last year.   We have no needs?  

God, I hope this isn't deja vu all over again. 

Anger could use some good competition...

Quote:This all sounds suspiciously like Gene Smith's "The team is finished, I have no more holes to fill, so I'm going to take a punter in round 3."

We were 3-13 last year. We have no needs?

Use some judgement man. What do you think?
Shock the world

Quote:I don't think any good GM is a "needs" drafter or a "BAP" drafter. if the best player available is a QB you're not going to take him a year after taking a QB etc.

Exactly. I think every good GM is a bit of both. Indy isn't going to take Winston if he fell to their pick.

Let's say you have AP in his prime and Chris Clemons right now but your draft choices are Gurley or Dupree who fell to the second. You take the pass rusher even though Gurley is technically BAP.

BAP vs Need is relative. You usually take BAP at your biggest need, and if you're truly going straight BAP, its not long until you're forced to draft Need.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I think for Caldwell the difference between BAP and Need comes in the ranking of players.

For example:

In Needs Based, players at positions of need might get bonus points.

While in BAP they wouldn't.

I think next year is the year Caldwell expects to be competitive.  I think most of us feel the same.  Bortles will have to step his game up significantly, but if he does, then I think it'll happen.

For Gene Smith I think BAP meant "Player I like the most without regard to value"

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:This all sounds suspiciously like Gene Smith's "The team is finished, I have no more holes to fill, so I'm going to take a punter in round 3."  

We were 3-13 last year.   We have no needs?  

Sorry to break this to you, but I just went to the future and 2015 is exactly the same as 2012.  It's uncanny.  Sorry bout that.

Makes sense, the team has less pressing needs now and should be able to go BAP more often.

Quote:Exactly. I think every good GM is a bit of both. Indy isn't going to take Winston if he fell to their pick.

Let's say you have AP in his prime and Chris Clemons right now but your draft choices are Gurley or Dupree who fell to the second. You take the pass rusher even though Gurley is technically BAP.

BAP vs Need is relative. You usually take BAP at your biggest need, and if you're truly going straight BAP, its not long until you're forced to draft Need.

Spot on

Quote:Oh, man. This debate again?

[Image: CDYsDSjUMAEpLGH.jpg]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Jaguars' GM Dave Caldwell was on 1010XL earlier today (and Frangie just announced they will air the interview again later this afternoon), and he said something particularly interesting today.

Specifically, he has indicated his approach to the draft will change this year.

He said in the past couple of drafts, he took a needs based approach to picking players.

But this year, he said the team will take more of a BAP approach to the draft.....

What do you think about this?

Is this part of a larger smokescreen?

Is this a legitimate change in approach?

Given how successful last year's draft seems to have been, should he change the approach?

Does it matter?

To me, as long as he is evaluating the players properly and drafting accordingly, it doesn't matter.

But it is interesting to see this shift.
Not to be dismissive at all - 'cause it's a discussion-worthy topic - but he talked about (predicted)  this eventually happening last year when pressed about "needs" drafting.

He talked about how it was necessary in the early rounds "at this stage in the process."  And he hinted that that wouldn't be the case as more talent was acquired.  He also made a statement a few weeks ago stating that they wouldn't be under so much pressure to draft immediate staters this year (which sort-of hints at the same sentiment.) 

It's a good sign. And I see it more as being in a new phase of a massive rebuild, rather than a shift in policy or philosophy.  Hopefully the roster truly is ready for it.