Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell's Change in Approach?

Not sure if it's a change in approach as much as it is change in situation.

By no means do we have Pro Bowlers at every position, but most positions are spoken for (for the most part.)

That hasn't been the case in the last couple years.  We had dire OL need, and no QB.  So, the last two picks were easy to make (LT, QB.)  When you're picking that early for such premium positions, the need and BAP will likely be the same (luckily, we aren't needing an LT in this weak draft.)  QBs and top LTs, etc., elite prospects at premium positions, are always off first.

That played into our favor the last two years.

This season is different.  We've got more depth than in the past.  So, there's no pressing need to try and match a hole with the first pick if there's no such marriage as with the last two drafts.

We have the luxury of drafting a premium prospect at a premium position regardless of need.

To me, that would suggest we go for the higher rated player, say Williams, in favor of forcing a LEO pick with a lower rated player for the sake of drafting that position.

So, that's no change in philosophy as much as it is a change in our circumstances.

In essence, he's saying in the current state need isn't as big a factor.  Need is always factored in.  It's just not as big a factor with the largest of past holes already "satisfied."

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

...to add to my previous thought, I also think this means he feels more free to trade up/down as they feel necessary.

I don't think they feel compelled to have to pick at 3.  The last two seasons, there wasn't likely a trade that would have been worth as much as the pick was to us given our needs.

This season, I feel trade is more attractive than in the past vs staying put.

Ditto stockpiling picks.  Before, we coveted extra picks.  If there's a guy we want to move up for or get back into one of the first three rounds, it won't be as much a sacrifice as in the past, where we've been trying to get starter/competition out of later rounds where that talent isn't usually found.  I think they're more open to moving up to get additional round picks or move up for a target while sacrificing those picks in the later rounds now.

They can play more loose, and not feel so "tight" with the picks.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Caldwell is a ninja  Ninja

Quote:...to add to my previous thought, I also think this means he feels more free to trade up/down as they feel necessary.

I don't think they feel compelled to have to pick at 3.  The last two seasons, there wasn't likely a trade that would have been worth as much as the pick was to us given our needs.

This season, I feel trade is more attractive than in the past vs staying put.

Ditto stockpiling picks.  Before, we coveted extra picks.  If there's a guy we want to move up for or get back into one of the first three rounds, it won't be as much a sacrifice as in the past, where we've been trying to get starter/competition out of later rounds where that talent isn't usually found.  I think they're more open to moving up to get additional round picks or move up for a target while sacrificing those picks in the later rounds now.

They can play more loose, and not feel so "tight" with the picks.

Would a Julio Jones type trade surprise you?

The prospect troubles me.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Would a Julio Jones type trade surprise you?

The prospect troubles me.

Trading down to a late 1st, gaining a 2nd, next year's 1st, and other picks? There are some good players down there, but no great ones. A lot depends on which picks and which team. What's the expectation for the 2016 slot, and how strong is the 2016 draft compared to this one?
 At least Caldwell is better than the Browns GMs.

I'm very much hoping for a trade down with the Jets, picking up their 2nd (a 3rd plus a 3rd next year would make it worthwhile). We'd still get the LEO we need at #6.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2015, 12:36 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:When need meets value (Vic Beasley), what we have is a toss-up

Definitely applies now that they have him forceasted to be taken in the 2nd round.

Quote:Trading down to a late 1st, gaining a 2nd, next year's 1st, and other picks? There are some good players down there, but no great ones. A lot depends on which picks and which team. What's the expectation for the 2016 slot, and how strong is the 2016 draft compared to this one?

I'm very much hoping for a trade down with the Jets, picking up their 2nd (a 3rd plus a 3rd next year would make it worthwhile). We'd still get the LEO we need at #6.

It would take very little to induce me to trade down with the Jets, because if you assume two QBs will go in the top 3, that leaves 4 picks of which we will get one: Williams, Fowler, Cooper, White.   Or Beasley if you are so inclined.    That's why it would take very little to get me to move to 6.   Maybe just a 2nd round pick this year.   But that's just me.   I know the value is more than that.   But I wouldn't be stubborn.   Because I would be almost just as happy with any one of Williams, Fowler, Cooper, White, whether I picked him at # 3 or picked him at # 6.  

A lot of people see the Redskins drafting Vic Beasley as an attempt to replace Oranknopoo

DL Leonard Williams or Dante Fowler will be the Jaguars #3 of course they swore that K. Mack would be the Jaguars pick last year so we'll have to wait and see

Quote:It would take very little to induce me to trade down with the Jets, because if you assume two QBs will go in the top 3, that leaves 4 picks of which we will get one: Williams, Fowler, Cooper, White.   Or Beasley if you are so inclined.    That's why it would take very little to get me to move to 6.   Maybe just a 2nd round pick this year.   But that's just me.   I know the value is more than that.   But I wouldn't be stubborn.   Because I would be almost just as happy with any one of Williams, Fowler, Cooper, White, whether I picked him at # 3 or picked him at # 6.  

That's my thoughts on this.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Trading down to a late 1st, gaining a 2nd, next year's 1st, and other picks? There are some good players down there, but no great ones. A lot depends on which picks and which team. What's the expectation for the 2016 slot, and how strong is the 2016 draft compared to this one?

I was thinking more about future drafts, and the prospect of trading multiple picks to move up and get a coveted player. That happened during Caldwell's time with the Falcons.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

If Leonard Williams makes it to 3 we're taking him I guess. The change in approach must be associated with the lack of production from previous drafts. The team needs to draft a Pro Bowl player regardless of position.

No pain, no gain.