Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell's Change in Approach?

Is it possible that Dave is saying this to put pressure on the other potential teams that we could trade with? Maybe just to encourage a trade before we pick the BAP out from underneath them?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Is it possible that Dave is saying this to put pressure on the other potential teams that we could trade with? Maybe just to encourage a trade before we pick the BAP out from underneath them?
He has stated all along that drafting need in early rounds was a temporary situation dictated by the rebuild.  We are just leaving that stage of the process. 

I mean, we can line up tomorrow for a game no problem but there is always an upgrade to any position in the NFL unless its an elite player like Watt or Brady!!! So I'm sure we can use an upgrade with LEO, RB, and FS! and many other positions. 

To me this seems pretty logical.  The first two drafts/seasons the team was in a rebuild stage and had holes to fill, hence that's why the team was starting so many rookies.  As it stands right now, rather than "holes" they should be looking at "upgrades" or as Vic used to put it "jars on the shelf".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think he is being honest about how deep this draft is at WR and hinting that we wont take Amari Cooper in the 1st. It could be a feint, but I don't take it that way. We could always take Dorsett/Devin Smith in the 2nd at slot WR and take a pass rusher in the 1st.

Quote:Not to be dismissive at all - 'cause it's a discussion-worthy topic - but he talked about (predicted)  this eventually happening last year when pressed about "needs" drafting.

He talked about how it was necessary in the early rounds "at this stage in the process."  And he hinted that that wouldn't be the case as more talent was acquired.  He also made a statement a few weeks ago stating that they wouldn't be under so much pressure to draft immediate staters this year (which sort-of hints at the same sentiment.) 

It's a good sign. And I see it more as being in a new phase of a massive rebuild, rather than a shift in policy or philosophy.  Hopefully the roster truly is ready for it.

I missed where he said the needs based approach was temporary... Or alternatively simply forgot. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered...or would at least approach the topic differently. Link?

I hope you are right that the roster is ready for the next step.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I think he is being honest about how deep this draft is at WR and hinting that we wont take Amari Cooper in the 1st. It could be a feint, but I don't take it that way. We could always take Dorsett/Devin Smith in the 2nd at slot WR and take a pass rusher in the 1st.
I don't really want Devin Smith. I basically see him and Lee as the same type of player.

Quote:I think he is being honest about how deep this draft is at WR and hinting that we wont take Amari Cooper in the 1st. It could be a feint, but I don't take it that way. We could always take Dorsett/Devin Smith in the 2nd at slot WR and take a pass rusher in the 1st.

I could see them drafting Cooper and still maybe grabbing a slot/returner guy later (or whatever type of receiver).  We know we have Lee, Robinson, and Hurns.  The other 2-3 could be anyone.     

Quote:I don't really want Devin Smith. I basically see him and Lee as the same type of player.

I don't really see it like that.  Lee was used more as a run after the catch receiver.  Devin Smith was used more as a legit deep receiver.  He consistently burned defenses, tracked the ball and caught contested balls downfield and into the endzone.  What he did in college is exactly what we've been missing here all these years.  

All of this is just a smokescreen... Lets be smart here, Caldwell doesn't tip his hand..

Have to say, I really like Caldwell. I have full faith in him

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 07:22 PM by Eric1.)

Quote:I don't really see it like that.  Lee was used more as a run after the catch receiver.  Devin Smith was used more as a legit deep receiver.  He consistently burned defenses, tracked the ball and caught contested balls downfield and into the endzone.  What he did in college is exactly what we've been missing here all these years.  
I agree completely that Smith is the better deep threat, but Lee showed some flashes of it last year (even though it was a small sampling) while being a better inside threat than Smith.

They're both basically the same exact size and both have speed for days. I just think they'll both develop into a similar type of player in the NFL.

edit: Also, as we all know, we really didn't have many chances to go down field last year since Bortles was running for his life and picking himself up off the ground every 3rd play.

He is trying to sell the idea we will draft a WR.

Quote:All of this is just a smokescreen... Lets be smart here, Caldwell doesn't tip his hand..

It is lying season.

In 2013 Caldwell claimed to be a needs drafter. His very first pick was a LT, one of the two positions the Jags didn't need at the time.

Whatever he says on this topic is meaningless.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I think he is simply planting in teams head firmly the notion we could very simply take LW as opposed to DF or VB.

No one uses BAP since FA and the cap were implemented, and it didn't strike me as a philosophy change as much as, "it could very easily work out that way" type of deal.

BPA = Best Punter Available 

Twitter Follow: @jSp3nce

Quote:BPA = Best Punter Available

The Gene Smith plan of success
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 10:44 PM by knarnn.)

So I just watched both Bradley and Caldwell's interviews. I came away thinking that the pick is down to Cooper or Williams. Williams more so considering Caldwell's new shift to BAP as he doesn't fill a need with Odrick and Marks manning their respective positions.

Then again it could just be some elaborate smokescreen to make a team who really wants Williams to move up so he can get extra picks to slide back a few spots and get the player he really wants.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The Gene Smith<del> plan of success</del> fast track to the unemployment line.

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."