Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell's Change in Approach?

Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rollerjag" data-cid="473252" data-time="1429907349">
Oh, man. This debate again?
[Image: CDYsDSjUMAEpLGH.jpg]</blockquote>

When need meets value (Vic Beasley), what we have is a toss-up
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah I think williams or Cooper too but so hard to say what they will do.

If I was Caldwell I'd just say straight up exactly who I would pick.  Nobody would believe him anyway.  Then I'd randomly lie or tell the truth each following year after that, just for fun.  

haha!
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

This year the BAPs aren't going to fit the needs.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He should take the BAP regardless of position at 3 (Williams/Cooper) then take Harold with the second pick, or consider trading up if Ray/Gregory fall into the mid twenties

When Caldwell became the GM this team had many holes to fill. They now have players to plug in and margin of depth, so taking the BAP is a more simpler approach. Time to draft a star player.

I think the change is more of a reflection of the reality of the roster over the past few years.

Remember, Caldwell does scout ahead and there's no doubt in my mind that he perceived Monroe as trade bait in order to get him more pieces in the '14 draft class. The more I think about it, the more I think that was a rather significant reason for drafting Joeckel.

And we saw him essentially rebuild the defensive backfield (with the exception of FS) in that one draft. Essentially attacking the group all at one time.

Now, as he has his QB, and he has a decent WR corps around him, he needs to fill in talent.

To me, it's a natural progression and I am pleased that he seems willing to react to situations in a forward thinking manner instead of simply sticking to some catchphrase linked philosophy.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I think what he was saying was, "Blah Draft Blah Good Blah Players Blah""

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:I think what he was saying was, "Blah Draft Blah Good Blah Players Blah""

IMO, drafting the BAP rather than for need gets you marginally better players, all other things being equal. But correctly evaluating players is WAY more important than philosophy.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:If I was Caldwell I'd just say straight up exactly who I would pick.  Nobody would believe him anyway.  Then I'd randomly lie or tell the truth each following year after that, just for fun.  
Good strategy. Would mess with the goofy sportswriters, who must produce one story a day even if they have nothing to write about. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote:I missed where he said the needs based approach was temporary... Or alternatively simply forgot. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered...or would at least approach the topic differently. Link?

I hope you are right that the roster is ready for the next step.

I can't find the one from last year (might have heard him on a radio interview) but he talked about it this year at the combine. 

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...7cd67e13ab

^ Oehser references it early in that one ^ - clearly talking about a response Caldwell had for a reporter earlier on the topic - but I don't have time to hunt that down ATM. 

He also mentioned it last year after some reporter published something negative about his "needs" approach to the draft.  He attempted to clarify his approach in a subsequent interview.  Wish I could find it.

Here's a quote from Feb. 2014.  

Quote: "Last year, we had no margin for error. The guys we drafted had to start. Ideally we can get some guys in free agency to help and then the draft picks won't have to come in and start right away. That's where we were last year. We had no choice. Now we have some, but we're far from where we need to be."

cbs  - prisco ^

Quote:He is trying to sell the idea we will draft a WR.

That is what I got out of it too. Like an early "sorry if you don't like my decision" to the fans.
Signature goes here.

Quote:IMO, drafting the BAP rather than for need gets you marginally better players, all other things being equal. But correctly evaluating players is WAY more important than philosophy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We can try to read the tea leaves all we want.

In the end, I just wait for the Commish.

Go Jags

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

If the best available player is also a team need (and chances are it's a need), then we will take that person. But, the coaching staff reserves the right to say at a later time who they thought was BAP at the time of their pick.

Quote:That is what I got out of it too. Like an early "sorry if you don't like my decision" to the fans.

I interpret as him trying to sell Williams. He's the BAP that wouldn't fill a perceived need.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I don't think the overall philosophy has changed much but the strategy can change depending on the state of the roster.  I look at this flexibility (and more the willing to admit the need for flexibility) to be a positive in the GM. 

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We can always draft a LEO high next year. It isn't like there is a gun to their heads. Grab Wlliams or Cooper and ride that star for a year. We need a sure thing.

Quote:We can always draft a LEO high next year. It isn't like there is a gun to their heads. Grab Wlliams or Cooper and ride that star for a year. We need a sure thing.

Or not. QBs and passing games are what win championships. You need a lot of great players on defense to compete, you have to get really lucky in the later rounds and then you'll still need a QB that can manage the game and win at the end.

If Cooper is a real #1 (which I don't think he is) then take him. If there is a true impact player at another position always take that guy instead of a guy that isn't an impact player.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">What do you think about this?

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Is this part of a larger smokescreen?

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Is this a legitimate change in approach?

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Given how successful last year's draft seems to have been, should he change the approach?

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Does it matter?

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I'd say...

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">not much

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">could be

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">maybe

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">why not?

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">not to me.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...