Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell's Gambit. Does it pay off and how it relates to 2015 Draft

Been thinking about Caldwell's moves lately. This is a GM who admitted he mailed it in the last 2 seasons. Stripped the team of useless non-ascending players and Scheme misfits despite some of them being better than their rookie replacements. Caldwell has repeatedly sacrificed the short-term decisions for Long-term ramifications. Lets take a look at few

Cuts nearly half the team in 2 years? For what? Make room for better scheme-fits and rookies that can ascend. Oh yea, Years 1 and 2 doesnt matter.

Drafts a raw QB in year 2 instead of a more pro-ready QB? For what? Year 2 doesn't matter.

Goes into year 2 with all Rookie WRs virtually? For what? Year 2 doesn't matter to him.

His sacrifices for the greater good as earned him the fanbases disdain and a leash that is alot shorter than it was in 2013. Hes placing all his cards into Years 3 and 4. Does it pay off?

This relates to the 2015 draft because Caldwell has a decision to make. He can make moves to get (Cooper or White) and (Gurley or Gordon) which would risk busting and/or terrible value. He can also simply take the best defensive linemen which value-wise looks to be the best move but by doing this, He has to put faith in the idea that he has done enough for his QB to earn him one more season. So do we see one more Gambit by Caldwell? Sacrificing the BAP for a completely re-hauled offense?

Can't wait to see whats next. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Admitted he mailed it in?
Only a chump boos the home team!

You mad bro?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Say what?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

lol

;

;

Anyone watching the NBA playoffs?
Shock the world

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote: 

His sacrifices for the greater good as earned him the fanbases disdain...

Maybe it's earned the disdain of the two guys you talk to.   But the two guys I talk to think he's doing exactly the right thing.   So, according to me, the fanbase loves  him.  

Gene plays it too safe and Dave gambles too much. Right?

Lol wut?

Quote:Been thinking about Caldwell's moves lately. This is a GM who admitted he mailed it in the last 2 seasons. Stripped the team of useless non-ascending players and Scheme misfits despite some of them being better than their rookie replacements. Caldwell has repeatedly sacrificed the short-term decisions for Long-term ramifications. Lets take a look at few

Cuts nearly half the team in 2 years? For what? Make room for better scheme-fits and rookies that can ascend. Oh yea, Years 1 and 2 doesnt matter.

Drafts a raw QB in year 2 instead of a more pro-ready QB? For what? Year 2 doesn't matter.

Goes into year 2 with all Rookie WRs virtually? For what? Year 2 doesn't matter to him.

His sacrifices for the greater good as earned him the fanbases disdain and a leash that is alot shorter than it was in 2013. Hes placing all his cards into Years 3 and 4. Does it pay off?

This relates to the 2015 draft because Caldwell has a decision to make. He can make moves to get (Cooper or White) and (Gurley or Gordon) which would risk busting and/or terrible value. He can also simply take the best defensive linemen which value-wise looks to be the best move but by doing this, He has to put faith in the idea that he has done enough for his QB to earn him one more season. So do we see one more Gambit by Caldwell? Sacrificing the BAP for a completely re-hauled offense?

He didn't admit to mailing anything in.  He did what your title suggests. A Gambit Strategy.  

Like sacrificing pawns in a chess game to obtain an advantage to strike offensively three moves later.  

This is what "building through the draft" looks like.  

Yes he does have decisions to make in terms of needs and value in the draft, but we don't know that he doesn't see a convergence of the two at his top pick.  He may see need and value coinciding in a pass rusher or a WR in the first round.  We just don't know.  It has required a lot of patience to get to this point as a fan w/o losing faith in the new regime, but I sense it will begin to pay off and we won't see as much "sacrificing" this season. 

Yes - I think it pays off. 

Man if only we could have kept that 2012 roster intact.  sigh.

2011- 5-11

2012- 2-14

Yup, the players we had before Caldwell really were getting us the results we wanted! Half the roster is gone because the team sucked dude...like really really bad. Are you one of those fans thats still butt hurt over Dayrl Smith? 

This is what I'm talking about, people have ZERO PATIENCE. They gutted a really bad roster and have been slowly transitioning us into a different football team. It does not change overnight. They have a plan they are putting into place. What they are doing may be slow but its the right way to go about it. Drafting is what makes or breaks you, not Free Agency. Always build for your future.

Im sorry we are not winning the super bowl right now for you but if you actually, you know, wait for this season to be under way, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised with how the team looks. Or you can just be a pessimist. 

So essentially, in your eyes, rebuilding = mailing it in? 

[Image: 40213091922.jpg]

Quote:Been thinking about Caldwell's moves lately. This is a GM who admitted he mailed it in the last 2 seasons. Stripped the team of useless non-ascending players and Scheme misfits despite some of them being better than their rookie replacements. Caldwell has repeatedly sacrificed the short-term decisions for Long-term ramifications. Lets take a look at few

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by 'admitted he mailed it in the last two seasons'. I'm also not sure of how you would validate that he has 'earned the fanbases disdain'. I'm a fan, and speaking for myself I think that Dave has done what had to be done so that this team could move forward. I think it took a fair amount of intestinal fortitude for him to do that knowing what the probable short term results of it would be. I'm also uncertain of how you would determine that he has 'a leash that is a lot shorter than it was in 2013'. Perhaps you're aware of some communication from either Dave or Shad that says something to this effect that I'm just not aware of.

I do agree with you 100% about this however; Dave has been and to some degree still is playing the gambit. This season and next should start showing if it pays off... or not.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Besides that first sentence about mailing it in and the fans disdain part everything the OP says is right.

Quote:Besides that first sentence about mailing it in and the fans disdain part everything the OP says is right.

Not really

;

;

Quote:Been thinking about Caldwell's moves lately.  Stripped the team of useless non-ascending players

Sorry you're upset.  How many useless, non-ascending players do you think we need?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I <3 Dave

The picks he made in the past was to build a team that can win games. We've got a developmental QB, we have got 3 WR last year, maybe one more this year. We need the 2013 and 2014 draft class to play at a high level to bring the 2015 draft class along. We are missing LEO, RB, FS.. there are more holes to fill but these are the biggest ones. We need to be on top when it comes to FS and LEO. 

Only thing that worries me right now with Dave are the lack of impact from our 1st and 2nd rounders the past two years. We have gotten more out of our late rounders which seems odd to me.

Joeckel, bortles, cyprian, lee, and Robinson all have to come on much stronger for our rebuild to become more than just an annual crapfest