Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell's Gambit. Does it pay off and how it relates to 2015 Draft

Man. Yall are ruthless on here. I think the team goes 7-9 this year, but strike up the band next year fellers because it's superbowl or pitchforks in 2016.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Only thing that worries me right now with Dave are the lack of impact from our 1st and 2nd rounders the past two years. We have gotten more out of our late rounders which seems odd to me.

Joeckel, bortles, cyprian, lee, and Robinson all have to come on much stronger for our rebuild to become more than just an annual crapfest

Agreed. If we had Coughlin drafting our first rounders, Shack getting the 2nd rounders, and Dave getting rounds 3-7 we would be in great shape lol.

So now Bortles is a borderline bust? Along with ARob and Lee...
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

[Image: amWAfd6.jpg]

Caldwell said in the season ends press conference he was surprised we even won 3 games. That = mailing it in. Im also not saying hes wrong here. Im just asking everyones opinion on his very obvious Gambit.

He could've kept some vets and steered us to 5-6 win seasons instead of 2-3 but that doesnt help us when it matters (Year 3+). Basically, Would you rather your seasons look like this:

2013 - 4-12

2014 - 3-13

2015 - 7-9

2016 - 10-6

Or this:

2013 - 6-10

2014 - 7-9

2015 - 8-8

2016 - 9-6

All theoretical but shows my point.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Be honest; you just wanted to use the word gambit.

It's not much of a "gambit", just Shad signing off an a multi-year build from scratch not often seen in the modern NFL.  He knows Jacksonville is hungry for a winner.  I'm sure he feels the same way most fans do.  Shad has shown patience with Dave & Gus, and the fans have shown a lot of patience, too.  There's a lot to be said about doing things right and not taking shortcuts. 

Dave make a safe pick in his first draft, stunned most people in his second draft by keeping quiet about his interest in Bortles, and I think he will stay fairly safe at #3 this draft.  I think if Gus believes any of the top pass rushers are a perfect fit for his system, then that's who Dave will take.  A disruptive edge rusher would give this D a different flavor.  It's a good year for it, there are several interesting prospects, and I trust Gus to ID the right guy.  There's always a risk in taking a pass rusher high.  This is a key pick for this regime. 

I think Dave may very reinvest in his QB by picking Amari Cooper.

Quote:Basically, Would you rather your seasons look like this:

2013 - 6-10

2014 - 7-9

2015 - 8-8

2016 - 9-6
What happened to the 16th game in 2016? Did the team jet miss a left turn at Albuquerque?

Caldwell has to see some reward this year from the moves he has made. If there is more regress then progress then its a good chance he will be gone and so will Gus! And regress would be winning 3,4 or 5 games... 6 games could get him till next season,if Khan is that patience..

Caldwell did mail in the first 2 years, which was the correct strategy given the position the team was in when he took over. He actually said the 7 wins exceeded his expectations of the first 2 years. 

But yes that 2 year grace period is up. Need at least 7 wins this year to keep faith. 6 wins with a bunch of VERY close loses might do as well. 

Quote:What happened to the 16th game in 2016? Did the team jet miss a left turn at Albuquerque?

Maybe that 16th game got "mailed in".

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I don't think the OP or Jinjo knows what 'mailing it in' means. It means not putting forth any effort and being apathetic to the task at hand. He's worked diligently to overhaul the roster to fit the current regime's scheme and goals they had when initially hired.

If Dave was mailing it in, he would've kept the former players on the roster and just kept treading water.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

We will know if it pays off this year
All I need is Jaguars football and my dogs

I like most of Caldwell's decisions. He's only made a few poor ones. Cut the dude some slack, he's much smarter than the ones who criticize him.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:Caldwell said in the season ends press conference he was surprised we even won 3 games. That = mailing it in. Im also not saying hes wrong here. Im just asking everyones opinion on his very obvious Gambit.

He could've kept some vets and steered us to 5-6 win seasons instead of 2-3 but that doesnt help us when it matters (Year 3+). Basically, Would you rather your seasons look like this:

2013 - 4-12

2014 - 3-13

2015 - 7-9

2016 - 10-6

Or this:

2013 - 6-10

2014 - 7-9

2015 - 8-8

2016 - 9-6

It does?

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

BassX97...

I don't know how old you are, but if you could, could you apply your analysis to the Jimmy Johnson era Cowboys and show how the analysis is different with the current Jaguars approach?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:BassX97...

I don't know how old you are, but if you could, could you apply your analysis to the Jimmy Johnson era Cowboys and show how the analysis is different with the current Jaguars approach?

Caldwell didn't trade MJD for a boatload of high draft picks.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Been thinking about Caldwell's moves lately. This is a GM who admitted he mailed it in the last 2 seasons. Stripped the team of useless non-ascending players and Scheme misfits despite some of them being better than their rookie replacements. Caldwell has repeatedly sacrificed the short-term decisions for Long-term ramifications. Lets take a look at few

Cuts nearly half the team in 2 years? For what? Make room for better scheme-fits and rookies that can ascend. Oh yea, Years 1 and 2 doesnt matter.

Drafts a raw QB in year 2 instead of a more pro-ready QB? For what? Year 2 doesn't matter.

Goes into year 2 with all Rookie WRs virtually? For what? Year 2 doesn't matter to him.

His sacrifices for the greater good as earned him the fanbases disdain and a leash that is alot shorter than it was in 2013. Hes placing all his cards into Years 3 and 4. Does it pay off?

This relates to the 2015 draft because Caldwell has a decision to make. He can make moves to get (Cooper or White) and (Gurley or Gordon) which would risk busting and/or terrible value. He can also simply take the best defensive linemen which value-wise looks to be the best move but by doing this, He has to put faith in the idea that he has done enough for his QB to earn him one more season. So do we see one more Gambit by Caldwell? Sacrificing the BAP for a completely re-hauled offense?

[Image: 2gtwz831.gif]

Quote:Caldwell said in the season ends press conference he was surprised we even won 3 games. That = mailing it in. Im also not saying hes wrong here. Im just asking everyones opinion on his very obvious Gambit.

2013 - 4-12

2014 - 3-13

2015 - 7-9

2016 - 10-6

Or this:

2013 - 6-10

2014 - 7-9

2015 - 8-8

2016 - 9-6

You need to rewatch his end of year press conference because you got it wrong bro.

;

;