Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talent Lacking or talent Unproven?

Talent Lacking or talent Unproven?

I read a comment on another site today.  While predicting wins, the author wrote….” I think the coaching is good, but the talent on the team is still sorely lacking.”

This made me think….

3 years ago the talent on this team was sorely lacking.  But is it now?  Or is the talent merely unproven at this point?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think the individual talent is there for most positions, or will be after the draft (FS, RB, Pass Rusher)

This is the year where they need to start performing as a unit working and continuing to grow together
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It is a little bit of both.

Talent was and may still be lacking.  I'd say the 3 year plan could have been closer to being met but we didn't get Alex Mack, Reggie Cobb, and a solid RB as desired.  I'd have to say 4 years is more reasonable and 5 years is a solid Yes.  The PLAN should have been revised to say we need 3 draft classes + 2 years after that for the team to gel.

Gus is unproven.  He sounds good in the offseason but his adjustments leave a lot to be desired thus far.

Talent and playmakers are still young and raw.  A few more years will give this upcoming draft class time to make this a very competitive team (8-10 wins).

I think there's a lot of unproven talent on this roster just because the team is so young.  We'll have a better sense this year for where we're at talent wise. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think it's unproven.  With the Wiz/Brennan Williams signings to go along with Paz the O-Line now has depth that has starting experience.  The D-Line has depth behind the front four(Jones, Hood, Davis, Branch).  The receivers are young but showed they have potential, ditto with the RBs.  With the additions of House and Colvin coming back even stronger, Gratz can slide to a back up role.  Given what Caldwell inherited 3 years ago to today, the roster is a HUGE improvement.  However, the potential has to be tapped and it has to show up on the field.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I agree. The team is so young, it's still unproven to see just how talented most of these guys will/won't turn out to be.

Both.

Unproven:

Blake Bortles  - (you could just stop there since its the QB)

Cyprien

Marqise Lee

Allen Hurns (somewhat)

Toby Gerhart (who knows what we see from him this season?)

Joeckel

Parnell  - (hard to be certain just yet)

Lacking:

FS

DT depth/injury concern

Leo  - No standout stud there

RG  LG - Beadles will have to be better or face replacement

O-Line depth -  At this point its Bowanko and a banged up Pasztor as the cream of the depth crop

Slot Receiver/ Kick returner

Quote:Talent was and may still be lacking.  I'd say the 3 year plan could have been closer to being met but we didn't get Alex Mack, Reggie Cobb, and a solid RB as desired.  I'd have to say 4 years is more reasonable and 5 years is a solid Yes.  The PLAN should have been revised to say we need 3 draft classes + 2 years after that for the team to gel.

Gus is unproven.  He sounds good in the offseason but his adjustments leave a lot to be desired thus far.

Talent and playmakers are still young and raw.  A few more years will give this upcoming draft class time to make this a very competitive team (8-10 wins).

Not sure how effective Reggie Cobb would be after being cut in 1995.

Huh

The talent is definitely there, the players just need to mature and gel together. Most of them are still very young.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:Not sure how effective Reggie Cobb would be after being cut in 1995.

HA !!   Thanks -- that was good.  Can't believe we couldn't sign a dude that got cut in 1995.  You'd think he'd be dying to get back into the NFL !!!

Quote:Both.

Unproven:

Cyprien

Marqise Lee

Allen Hurns (somewhat)

Joeckel

Lacking:

FS

DT depth/injury concern

RG - Beadles will have to be better or face replacement

O-Line depth -  At this point its Bowanko and a banged up Pasztor as the cream of the depth crop

Gerhert needs his own category.  "When healthy, has the potential to be an adequate role player"

Unproven:

Cyprien

Marqise Lee

Allen Hurns (somewhat)

Joeckel

Lacking:

FS

DT depth/injury concern

Beadles plays LG; Linder plays RG. Is Pasztor still banged up or is he participating in the conditioning program with the rest of the team?

Somehow I get the feeling Gerhart isn't in the team's long-term plans. Perhaps Oley pulled Gus aside on his first day in the building: "Gus, I know Dave invested heavily in this guy, so we can't cut him in training cap." Gus: "I hear ya - what kind of role do you see for Slowby 'cos water boy is already taken." Oley: "I was thinking a special role - we'll call it S-back (code for plays sparingly)." Gus: Nods head, before heading to his daily self-affirmation watching Stuart Smalley tapes. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2015, 02:36 PM by Deacon.)

Unproven:

Cyprien

Marqise Lee

Allen Hurns (somewhat)

Joeckel

Lacking:

FS

DT depth/injury concern

I like this list! One category that I would like to add though is "underutilized".

Granted, a lot of that may be due to the Youth on the Offense, but it seems like a lot of guys weren't really putting their strengths to the best use last season.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Beadles plays LG; Linder plays RG. Is Pasztor still banged up or is he participating in the conditioning program with the rest of the team?

Somehow I get the feeling Gerhart isn't in the team's long-term plans. Perhaps Oley pulled Gus aside on his first day in the building: "Gus, I know Dave invested heavily in this guy, so we can't cut him in training cap." Gus: "I hear ya - what kind of role do you see for Slowby 'cos water boy is already taken." Oley: "I was thinking a special role - we'll call it S-back (code for plays sparingly)." Gus: Nods head, before heading to his daily self-affirmation watching Stuart Smalley tapes. 
Yeah. Just a mental slip on the guard positions there. Meant LG. 

Pasztor is likely in the building for conditioning - but to expect him to be 100% week one is probably a stretch.

I was watching some old stuff the other day looking for some Denard gifs to grab and he clearly re-injured the broken hand after a few games back - before eventually tearing his hamstring a few weeks later.  Hopefully he's not forced into duty.

Regardless - I don't feel even slightly weird stating there's little depth behind this unproven O-line. 

The Toby conundrum is an issue.  I expect that the actual staff of this team feels  much more confident in his ability to contribute than anyone calling him cute nicknames on this board.  Remember Olie tried  repeatedly to insert an obviously slowed-down MJD into the line-up in Oakland. So -  I doubt he's nearly as down on Gerhart as you seem to believe. Still - it's clear Gehart will desperately need to show something to earn his place in a committee approach.

Personally - I think that we'll see a Denard/Toby committee approach - with the possibility of B.Pierce or Storm - or a Mid-round Rookie fighting for snaps. Any of which is a real possibility. 

I also think that the above approach could easily be a solid mid-tier rushing attack behind a moderately improved line.  We'll see if Marrone/Olson can make that happen. 

The Jaguars talent seems noticeably improved since this time last year.   The current regime has done a good job in upgrading the team's talent.   Experience and exposure should go along way in the development of the team.  

The one key thing the Jags lack enough of other than experience is enough impact players.   While one or more of the current players on the roster have the potential to become impact players,   the next couple of drafts are critical in coming up with more players that can regularly change the complexion of games.  

Jaguars have a lot of talent but so far not much qb and the rest seems less because of that.

I think this year will surprised people!

Quote: 

Oley: "I was thinking a special role - we'll call it S-back (code for plays sparingly)."

Very Creative !! :thumbsup:

I think it's a little premature to say we're 'lacking talent'. Perhaps we are at some positions; but for the most part, I think it's more a case of not yet fully developed talent which remains to be proven. I see this team as having more 'potential' talent than we had three years ago; so I'm hoping that we start 'seeing it on the field' this season.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...