Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our history of trading up..

I was sitting in my truck before work listening to 1010 and I began to wonder. ..have we ever traded up and the draft pick work out. (First Round only)

Gabbert

Harvey

Blackmon

Remember we also trade away picks when this happens.

History tells us it hasnt been a good idea to trade up. This year it looks like we will sit and pick or go down in the draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fred Taylor
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Fred Taylor
That didn't come from a trade up per se.

That came from trading Rob Johnson to Buffalo for Buffalo's 1st and 4th in 1998.

We DID trade up in 1995 to acquire RB James Stewart.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I couldn't remember if we traded uo for ol fred or not. For a while it seemed like our 2nd round picks were better than our first rounders. And everytime we traded up it didnt work out.

Quote:That didn't come from a trade up per se.

That came from trading Rob Johnson to Buffalo for Buffalo's 1st and 4th in 1998.

We DID trade up in 1995 to acquire RB James Stewart.

I don't see how that's not trading back up into the 1st.

That's really picking nits...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Brandon Linder and Allen Robinson

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I was sitting in my truck before work listening to 1010 and I began to wonder. ..have we ever traded up and the draft pick work out. (First Round only)

Gabbert

Harvey

Blackmon

Remember we also trade away picks when this happens.

History tells us it hasnt been a good idea to trade up. This year it looks like we will sit and pick or go down in the draft.

Interesting timing --- this is the 1 year that there is virtually no chance of us trading up.   Unless of course we make that Blake / JJ Watt trade

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:I don't see how that's not trading back up into the 1st.

That's really picking nits...

This trade happened BEFORE the draft.

That's different from either:

1)  swapping multiple picks & players to move up in the draft (i.e. Derrick Harvey )

2) Having spent your first round pick, not having another pick until the second round at the earliest, then spending multiple picks to move back up into the first (i.e. Cleveland in 2007 trading p for Brady Quinn).

There was no swap of draft positions.

This a player for picks trade.

Quote:Brandon Linder and Allen Robinson
Yes.

These are two examples of trading up seemingly working for us.

The Original Post Stated 1st Round Only

Quote:The Original Post Stated 1st Round Only

whoops

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Trading up or down during the draft can mean a lot of different things.  Trading up could mean that through your scouting and evaluation, you've identified an ideal candidate that you believe others will covet as much as you and because you feel the candidate is so good and such a lock to be a productive player you are willing to give up additional picks to secure him.  It could also mean that you feel you are one player away as is the concensus about how the Jaguars felt when they traded up to get Harvey.  Trading up, especially in the 1st or 2nd round, risks the future fortunes of the franchise for the "right now".

Trading down on the other hand could mean that you've identified multiple ideal candidates that you would be equally happy to acquire and that because you have no real preference of which one it is, you'd rather accumulate more picks to have more opportunities to acquire good players in the later rounds or future drafts.  It could also mean that your scouting and evaluations haven't clearly identified any stand out candidates and that because you have no idea who to take you'd rather just get the additional picks until you figure it out with whoever is left when it's your turn to pick again.  Very few GMs, if any, who have identified the clear cut best player on the board would risk trading back even just a few spots with the thoughts of getting him later.  

There are positives and negatives to be gleaned from both trading up and trading down.  The bottom line is your scouting department better be good and your GM better make good decisions based on that scouting info.  I love the confidence in your evaluations that trading up exudes but not the effects of getting it wrong as we have endured since the Harvey trade up.  I love the extra picks that results from trading down, but what does it say about your scouting department or GM?  Were they not able to identify a clear cut best player at your original pick and if they did is your GM really risking not getting him by trading back?  If a draft day trade takes place that moves Cleveland up to 3 and the Jags take picks 12 and 19, has our scouting department really done enough to identify the best players in that range or were they working to identify top 5 talent with most of their time?

Whatever it is, get it right Dave.

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2015, 12:12 PM by Joe.)

We've barely had draft picks that worked out regardless.

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2015, 12:29 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Trading up or down during the draft can mean a lot of different things.  Trading up could mean that through your scouting and evaluation, you've identified an ideal candidate that you believe others will covet as much as you and because you feel the candidate is so good and such a lock to be a productive player you are willing to give up additional picks to secure him.  It could also mean that you feel you are one player away as is the concensus about how the Jaguars felt when they traded up to get Harvey.  Trading up, especially in the 1st or 2nd round, risks the future fortunes of the franchise for the "right now".

Trading down on the other hand could mean that you've identified multiple ideal candidates that you would be equally happy to acquire and that because you have no real preference of which one it is, you'd rather accumulate more picks to have more opportunities to acquire good players in the later rounds or future drafts.  It could also mean that your scouting and evaluations haven't clearly identified any stand out candidates and that because you have no idea who to take you'd rather just get the additional picks until you figure it out with whoever is left when it's your turn to pick again.  Very few GMs, if any, who have identified the clear cut best player on the board would risk trading back even just a few spots with the thoughts of getting him later.  

There are positives and negatives to be gleaned from both trading up and trading down.  The bottom line is your scouting department better be good and your GM better make good decisions based on that scouting info.  I love the confidence in your evaluations that trading up exudes but not the effects of getting it wrong as we have endured since the Harvey trade up.  I love the extra picks that results from trading down, but what does it say about your scouting department or GM?  Were they not able to identify a clear cut best player at your original pick and if they did is your GM really risking not getting him by trading back?  If a draft day trade takes place that moves Cleveland up to 3 and the Jags take picks 12 and 19, has our scouting department really done enough to identify the best players in that range or were they working to identify top 5 talent with most of their time?

Whatever it is, get it right Dave.

Dude, I thought I was reading Wikipedia when I ready paragraphs 1 & 2.

Quote:Dude, I thought I was reading Wikipedia when I ready paragraphs 1 & 2.

Thanks for reading at least.  When I hit submit I thought it was borderline TLDR and may very well have been for others.  I'm just indifferent when it comes to trading up or down and that's why.  Just gotta get it right, whatever the move is.

Not exactly a trade up, but kind of anyway was Byron Leftwich. Either way it didn't work lol.

just because the fail rate is high, shouldn't make you afraid to do it. You have to remember who was responsible for those trade ups.. not saying David Caldwell is perfect, because I don't like the way he handled his drafts so far, but they haven't been unremarkable. I don't think Calwell would have ever made the Harvery/Groves trades but I'm not certain he would have traded up for Gabbert (despite his PC comment about Gabbert being the #1 QB if he were drafted in 2013)

He meant from the first round only..

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM by Markulous.)

What if we traded up for Clady and Watt instead of Harvey and Gabbert? We would be singing a different tune. It's not the fact we traded up its the fact we did it to take crap players.

Quote:What I'd we traded up for Clady and Watt instead of Harvey and Gabbert? We would be singing a different tune. It's not the fact we traded up its the fact we did it to take crap players.

Bingo.

I don't care how you do it, just get it right.

All of the decisions become a wash if the player turns out, otherwise you're perceived as a fool.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!