Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our history of trading up..

Quote:I was sitting in my truck before work listening to 1010 and I began to wonder. ..have we ever traded up and the draft pick work out. (First Round only)

Gabbert

Harvey

Blackmon

Remember we also trade away picks when this happens.

History tells us it hasnt been a good idea to trade up. This year it looks like we will sit and pick or go down in the draft.

Not comperable due to being prior GM's.  Our current GM's success rate at trading up includes Robinson and Colvin (iirc).  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I was sitting in my truck before work listening to 1010 and I began to wonder. ..have we ever traded up and the draft pick work out. (First Round only)

Gabbert

Harvey

Blackmon

Remember we also trade away picks when this happens.

History tells us it hasnt been a good idea to trade up. This year it looks like we will sit and pick or go down in the draft.

Feb. 13, 1998 -- Jaguars trade Rob Johnson to Bills for 1998 1st (9th overall), 1998 4th (101st)
Last August, the Patriots traded Ryan Mallett to the Houston Texans for a conditional 2016 seventh round pick. If this were the '90s, New England might have been able to secure a lot more for a guy with Mallett's resume.

In '98, the Buffalo Bills traded the ninth overall pick and a fourth rounder to Jacksonville for their backup QB based on one good start. Literally one start over three years and a few nice preseason appearances. The Bills signed him to a $25 million contract based on that alone.

By the middle of his first season in Buffalo, Johnson had lost the starting job to Doug Flutie. He finished his career with 30 touchdown passes.

With the ninth pick, the Jaguars drafted Fred Taylor.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/117...d-johnso_1

-----------------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jac...raft_picks

The Jaguars used to be great at picking guys in the 1st round thanks to Tom Coughlin's  (best Jaguar HC ever!!)

Then after he left they've all been busts with the exception of Monroe whom we traded.

Quote:We've barely had draft picks that worked out regardless.
So true and pathetic

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Trading up or down during the draft can mean a lot of different things.  Trading up could mean that through your scouting and evaluation, you've identified an ideal candidate that you believe others will covet as much as you and because you feel the candidate is so good and such a lock to be a productive player you are willing to give up additional picks to secure him.  It could also mean that you feel you are one player away as is the concensus about how the Jaguars felt when they traded up to get Harvey.  Trading up, especially in the 1st or 2nd round, risks the future fortunes of the franchise for the "right now".

Trading down on the other hand could mean that you've identified multiple ideal candidates that you would be equally happy to acquire and that because you have no real preference of which one it is, you'd rather accumulate more picks to have more opportunities to acquire good players in the later rounds or future drafts.  It could also mean that your scouting and evaluations haven't clearly identified any stand out candidates and that because you have no idea who to take you'd rather just get the additional picks until you figure it out with whoever is left when it's your turn to pick again.  Very few GMs, if any, who have identified the clear cut best player on the board would risk trading back even just a few spots with the thoughts of getting him later.  

There are positives and negatives to be gleaned from both trading up and trading down.  The bottom line is your scouting department better be good and your GM better make good decisions based on that scouting info.  I love the confidence in your evaluations that trading up exudes but not the effects of getting it wrong as we have endured since the Harvey trade up.  I love the extra picks that results from trading down, but what does it say about your scouting department or GM?  Were they not able to identify a clear cut best player at your original pick and if they did is your GM really risking not getting him by trading back?  If a draft day trade takes place that moves Cleveland up to 3 and the Jags take picks 12 and 19, has our scouting department really done enough to identify the best players in that range or were they working to identify top 5 talent with most of their time?

Whatever it is, get it right Dave.

Tyson Alualu.

Gene was offered a trade down from SF. He turned it down because he was afraid of losing Tyson Alualu to Miami. Miami traded down and took Jared Odrick. Had Miami taken Alualu the Jags could have made that same trade and had Odrick five years ago.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jac...raft_picks

The Jaguars used to be great at picking guys in the 1st round thanks to Tom Coughlin's  (best Jaguar HC ever!!)

Then after he left they've all been busts with the exception of Monroe whom we traded.

Coughlin picked two excellent player in Boselli and Taylor, and some good players in Hardy, Darius, Stroud, and Henderson. He also picked Wynn, Bryant, and Soward, two mediocre players and a bust. And Coughlin wasn't very good after the 1st round.

Harris was terrible in the 1st round, but got a lot of 1st round talent in the 2nd round.

Gene Smith was way over his head.

So far, Caldwell appears to have had an excellent draft in 2014, and an average draft in 2013. Supposedly a lot of scouts were replaced between those two drafts. We still don't know about Caldwell's first round picks. So far they haven't impressed.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Coughlin picked two excellent player in Boselli and Taylor, and some good players in Hardy, Darius, Stroud, and Henderson. He also picked Wynn, Bryant, and Soward, two mediocre players and a bust. And Coughlin wasn't very good after the 1st round.

Harris was terrible in the 1st round, but got a lot of 1st round talent in the 2nd round.

Gene Smith was way over his head.

So far, Caldwell appears to have had an excellent draft in 2014, and an average draft in 2013. Supposedly a lot of scouts were replaced between those two drafts. We still don't know about Caldwell's first round picks. So far they haven't impressed.

My only worry is that in 2014, after the 2013 season, we thought DC had a solid first draft.  Then the players dropped off in their sophomore season.  I'm hoping his 2014 draft class doesn't do that (fingers crossed).

People forget that Coughlin tried and thankfully failed to trade with the Bears to draft Curtis Enis. Coughlin lucked into Fred Taylor.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Trade up, trade down or don't trade at all, it doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is picking the right players.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:People forget that Coughlin tried and thankfully failed to trade with the Bears to draft Curtis Enis. Coughlin lucked into Fred Taylor.

WOW !!!   I totally forgot about that !!  As much as the past decade sucked, We did have a good initial decade --- the time periods should have really been reversed.

Quote:Tyson Alualu.

Gene was offered a trade down from SF. He turned it down because he was afraid of losing Tyson Alualu to Miami. Miami traded down and took Jared Odrick. Had Miami taken Alualu the Jags could have made that same trade and had Odrick five years ago.

Quite interesting.  We would have also had another pick in that deal as well.