Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Buccaneers didn't think Blake Bortles was an 'alpha male'

Apparently the Bucs claim that they would've passed on Bortles last year because they didn't think he has that "Alpha Male Personality".

Quote:The Bucs didn't draft a quarterback last year because they couldn't find the right match between personality and game film. Tampa Bay would have passed on Central Florida's Blake Bortles had he been there with the seventh overall pick because he didn't come across a "take-charge" personality kind of guy.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/4/20/8457387/nfl-draft-blake-bortles-buccaneers-alpha-male-jameis-winston'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/4/20/8457387/nfl-draft-blake-bortles-buccaneers-alpha-male-jameis-winston</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well I think we can put that idea to rest
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Seems like one of his strengths. Weird.

HA! Good luck to them picking between Winston and Mariota. Mariota has no personality at all and Winston has a big dog attitude...you just got to deal with the dumb that comes along with it. Give me Bortles every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Well I'd be concerned. Look how successful they've been with their player acquisitions and drafts the last few years.

Oh...wait...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Gotta love the evolution of today's journalism.

Tampa dude sitting home in mom's basement posts his thoughts that the Buc's would have passed on Bortles last year due to leadership abilities.   NO QUOTES.  JUST AN OPINION

Jag dude #1 sits at home in mom's basement and finds this article and posts to a website.

Jag dude #2 finds article posted by Jag dude #1 and posts link to Jaguars Message Board.

WOW .... SOUNDS LEGIT.  NOW I'M TOTALLY CONVINCED THE BUCS GM WOULD HAVE PASSED ON BORTLES FOR THE SPECIFIC REASON PROVIDED WITHIN THE ARTICLE  Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash

Quote:Gotta love the evolution of today's journalism.

Tampa dude sitting home in mom's basement posts his thoughts that the Buc's would have passed on Bortles last year due to leadership abilities. NO QUOTES. JUST AN OPINION

Jag dude #1 sits at home in mom's basement and finds this article and posts to a website.

Jag dude #2 finds article posted by Jag dude #1 and posts link to Jaguars Message Board.

WOW .... SOUNDS LEGIT. NOW I'M TOTALLY CONVINCED THE BUCS GM WOULD HAVE PASSED ON BORTLES FOR THE SPECIFIC REASON PROVIDED WITHIN THE ARTICLE Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash

I don't understand your gripe here. Its a message board. These are things that happen on message boards.

I don't think anyone agrees with the opinion posted by the author or the Bucs GM, but it is something to discuss during slow season on the team's message board if for nothing other that to laugh at how silly the Bucs FO is.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(we know what we are getting from bigcatcountry. this is only football, have fun with it)

So it's falls to me to declare bortles a bust then ?

my mom doesn't have a basement

if I use her laptop does it count.... It's pink?

This is nothing but a bunch of babbling from a fan-blogger with no evidence to support that anyone w/ the Bucs actually felt that way. 

Reads like a bunch of herp-derp to me:

Quote:For those Bucs fans that are fans of Mariota, you’ve probably had to defend the fact that he’s a quiet, docile quarterback by pointing out that Flacco and Eli Manning have similar, bland personalities and they have gone to Pro Bowls and won the Super Bowl. The only problem is that personality matters to the Bucs’ front office. The team puts a tremendous amount of weight on the personal interviews with quarterbacks because that player is the leader of the offense and the leader of the team.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">The Bucs didn’t draft a quarterback last year because they couldn’t find the right match between personality and game film. Tampa Bay would have passed on Central Florida’s Blake Bortles had he been there with the seventh overall pick because he didn’t come across a “take-charge” personality kind of guy.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Tampa Bay wants an alpha male quarterback with a type-A personality under center and in the huddle. After Licht and director of player personnel Jon Robinson spent time with Brady in New England, that’s the type of poised, charismatic leader they are looking for. Winston is a much closer fit to Brady than Mariota will ever be, especially in terms of personality, vocal leadership and charisma. Bucs fans that used to be jealous of Brett Favre and want a take-charge leader with a fiery demeanor will be happy with Tampa Bay’s selection of Winston.

Dave Caldwell after last year's draft:

Quote: 

(On Blake’s leadership skills) “Practice, command of the team in practice, command of the field, players rally around him. You see it in the field and I think Coach Bradley told me a quote throughout this process, not relating to Blake but it kind of stuck with me, ‘when somebody shows you who they are believe them,’ and this is a guy that every place he’s had a chance to compete he has competed. At Central Florida he took them to a BCS game and won it. That’s pretty impressive for any college, SEC, ACC, but this is a guy that did it at Central Florida. And then at the Combine, when was the last time a high rated quarterback did everything at the Combine? From the three cone to the short throw to the vertical jump to the broad jump, and he threw. He just competed every phase and that’s what we’re about so his leadership skills…people are going to gravitate to him and we believe that.”

Quote:I don't understand your gripe here. Its a message board. These are things that happen on message boards.

I don't think anyone agrees with the opinion posted by the author or the Bucs GM, but it is something to discuss during slow season on the team's message board if for nothing other that to laugh at how silly the Bucs FO is.

Hurricane might be drunk posting again

It's more of a have fun thinking another team is worse off than us, than a find hard evidence against a story that is a year old and is a moot point now anyways. 

...Bucs be crazy and Jags on the rise with Bortles!

You don't land Lindsay Duke without a little alpha in you.

Quote:I don't understand your gripe here. Its a message board. These are things that happen on message boards.

Bottom line, there is no substance behind the original BUCS article (i.e. NO QUOTE BY ANY BUCS FRONT OFFICE REP) so why would BCC copy it and post it into their own own Jaguars article like it is a fact?  That's a rhetorical question.

Quote:Hurricane might be drunk posting again

nah !!  just using common sense.   Where's the quote?  Where's the Bucs Front Office source?  

Quote:Hurricane might be drunk posting again

LOL .... the last time I got banned for drunk posting, I ridiculed the Alualu pick then followed it up that weekend with stating Gene had no idea what he was doing by drafting those 4 DLs with his 1st 4 picks in the draft !!!

... what was I thinking !!

Quote:Apparently the Bucs claim that they would've passed on Bortles last year because they didn't think he has that "Alpha Male Personality".

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/4/20/8457387/nfl-draft-blake-bortles-buccaneers-alpha-male-jameis-winston'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/4/20/8457387/nfl-draft-blake-bortles-buccaneers-alpha-male-jameis-winston</a>
Perhaps its from the same source who followed Blackmon to all of those bars?

Quote:Bottom line, there is no substance behind the original BUCS article (i.e. NO QUOTE BY ANY BUCS FRONT OFFICE REP) so why would BCC copy it and post it into their own own Jaguars article like it is a fact?  That's a rhetorical question.

Yep. ^ 

It was a dumb blurb from a fan-boy blog.  Not worthy of being quoted elsewhere - and certainly not worthy of our consternation here. 

The kid exudes confidence and several elder teammates have stated (without solicitation) that they are excited to play with him.  We know better than whatever this Bucs fan is trying to pin on Bortles after the fact. 

Have they seen his girlfriend? 

Quote:Perhaps its from the same source who followed Blackmon to all of those bars?

Quite interesting:  Big Cat Country must have renewed their subscription to the Bucs Message Boards.  It seems to be their primary source of information.