Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Denard Robinson: I should be the Jaguars’ No. 1 running back

Quote:“I think I should be a No. 1 guy,” Robinson told the Florida Times-Union. “That’s how I have to look at it. But I have to show them that. Words don’t mean anything. It’s all about showing them.”

Although Toby Gerhart was signed to be the starter, Robinson was by far the Jaguars’ best running back last year: Robinson ended up leading the team in yards and touchdowns and averaged 4.3 yards a carry, while Gerhart averaged 3.2 and rookie Storm Johnson averaged 3.0.

“I want to show the team they can count on me. Last year, I showed growth so people could say, ‘That’s not the same Denard. It’s night and day.’ This year, I want them to say, ‘Man, Denard has grown even more,'” Robinson said.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/denard-robinson-i-should-be-jaguars%E2%80%99-no-1-running-back'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/denard-robinson-i-should-be-jaguars%E2%80%99-no-1-running-back</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He definitely showed some flashes last year. No reason to think he couldn't be an important piece of the offense this year.

Hope that Denard becomes a much better player and a guy who they simply can't take off the field, regardless of who we draft.  I would love that kind of improvement from everyone.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

That's the beauty of the NFL - you have to earn it. Dave and Gus are creating competition across the board and making them earn their playing time. That's the way it should be. Two years ago, there wasn't enough talent on the roster to even have much competition.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

I believe he was averaging around 5ypc during his stretch before he got hurt, I don't see why he couldn't be. I would still like Gurley or Ajayi, but I haven't listbany faith in DRob
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Denard is real good but imagin how good he could be if he ties his shoes!

I'm not comfortable with Denard starting until he proves to me he can pick up a good blitzing LB.

'02

Quote:I'm not comfortable with Denard starting until he proves to me he can pick up a good blitzing LB.

Then you should have the same reservations with Abdullah as his pass protection skills are questionable as well.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:That's the beauty of the NFL - you have to earn it. Dave and Gus are creating competition across the board and making them earn their playing time. That's the way it should be. Two years ago, there wasn't enough talent on the roster to even have much competition.

Adding to what you mentioned,   I looked at the current rosters of Tampa Bay and Oakland in the process of putting together a 3 Round Mock Draft.   The Jaguars roster is clearly better than both the Bucs and Raiders rosters.   I was amazed with how many glaring needs the Bucs and Raiders have at this point in time.    While the Jags need more impact players and more overall depth,   their overall roster has come a long way since last year at this time.  

I would hope he thinks that way

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

I think DRob could be an explose type of back, we saw flashes last season and that's pretty impressive given how bad the o-line was looking at points last season. We didn't get to see much of DRob behind a sturdy line.. The only question I have about him is, will he be able to take his time behind this line and let the holes develop? A lot of his runs last season, after the hand off, he looked like he was shot out of a cannon (albeit his line was pretty sporadic at providing holes to run through)

My ideal scenario, Drob/Gurley..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Given what the performance of the o-line has been like, it will be interesting (given the opportunity) to see what DRob can do if he has an improved line in front this year.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Then you should have the same reservations with Abdullah as his pass protection skills are questionable as well.

If he's not there already, I have no doubt he'll get there. Abdullah blew away all RBs at the combine in most all of the drills including the bench. He certainly has the agility and strength needed, so if there's any question it's just a matter of learning. Denard blocks like a quarterback... that is, he doesn't.

'02

He'll be backing up whoever the starter is when opening day arrives.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Let's take this at face value... He showed flashes last season. He'll have an entire offseason to earn the spot as the primary back, plus he has the drive and determination to do it.

Personally, I wouldn't want him to say anything less.

Other than a few teams, this is a RB by committee league.  DRob + [insert name here] will share the load.

I've been one of his biggest champions around here, and I don't intend to stop.  I don't think he's gonna be an annual 1500+ yd. bell-cow, but I think he can be very effective. 

I think he'd be most effective in a committee approach, but I love that he's taking this head-on attitude to asserting himself for the role. 

Until we have a featureback, it will be a committee.

Quote:He'll be backing up whoever the starter is when opening day arrives.
Only way I see that happening is if the running back that we inevitably draft breaks out in the preseason and Denard Robinson takes a step backwards.

It's his job to lose. I don't really see him losing it before week 1 though.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

As a HUGE Toby Gerhart fan, I agree with Denard.....he has proven coming into the season to be considered the #1 back. If Toby is the man and RB I believe his is, he too would agree and become even more determined to steal that position back from DRob. Should make for an interesting training camp.