Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
FB Bradie Ewing cut, no fullbacks on roster now

Quote:Gentlemen, things have changed.

1) Gerhart is now a fullback.

2) The Jaguars are about to have Todd Gurley, Jay Ajayi, Cameron Artis Payne, or David Johnson. One of those four. Maybe even David Cobb. Seems almost definite they'll draft somebody at RB to complement DRob and maybe even shoulder more carries since DRob is skinny.

Those are the same rbs I like in this draft
"Get Better Everyday"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:An interesting sidebar here. At the North Dakota State Pro Day, the Jags worked out Kyle Emanuel who is a DE/Otto LB candidate. The interesting thing was the Jags worked him out as a Fullback.
Interesting.

Quote: <b>North Dakota State</b> 
Kyle Emanuel was the hot property at North Dakota State's pro day as the small-school star, who sat on his combine numbers and just did position drills, was worked out at three separate positions. 

Besides doing defensive line drills, the Philadelphia Eagles worked him at linebacker drills. The team feels Emanuel can line up on the outside or in the middle of their scheme. 

The Jacksonville Jaguars put Emanuel through fullback drills. 

Emanuel has an official visit set up with the Pittsburgh Steelers and will be working out for the Minnesota Vikings on Monday.  

walterfootball.com ^

Quote:Interesting.

walterfootball.com ^

Thanks.

I won't even begin to speculate on what's going on in the minds of the Bradwell trust.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

If Emanuel could play FB as well it would be an interesting way to have an extra pass rusher available.

Could you imagine a FB trotting out on defense on 3rd and long? Seems like something Belicheck would do.

Quote:Thanks.

I won't even begin to speculate on what's going on in the minds of the Bradwell trust.

If I had to guess  -- It's Olson wanting someone that's built like Marcel Reece at FB and this kid looking good catching the ball in DE coverage drills at the combine. 

Quote:If I had to guess -- It's Olson wanting someone that's built like Marcel Reece at FB and this kid looking good catching the ball in DE coverage drills at the combine.

Hey, if they draft him as a fullback and it doesn't work out he would still be decent depth as a OTTO/LEO. I just hope this isn't Caldwell's "smartest man in the room" move. Gene Smith did enough of those to last this franchise a lifetime.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Hey, if they draft him as a fullback and it doesn't work out he would still be decent depth as a OTTO/LEO. I just hope this isn't Caldwell's "smartest man in the room" move. Gene Smith did enough of those to last this franchise a lifetime.

It seems virtually impossible that he's drafted before the late 5th round (if at all) so I don't see much risk.  would definitely be an interesting move. 

Emmanuel is one of my top late round picks on my personal Jags draft board

He'd make a great fit at the Otto

Jags were at fsu pro day yesterday. They could get my boy Lonnie Pryor who participated in drills again for scouts!

I have no problem with moving Slowby, he doesn't need many if any touches. 

Good. we have $22m invested in tight ends on the roster. We have a HB on the roster for $3m. We don't need a FB.

The FB Position is done.

Just look at the recent super bowl teams --> Patriots don't use a FB --- Seahawks mostly run out of the 1 RB formation

If you google a teams depth chart, you'll find a lot of teams like the Packers and Patriots don't even list a FB on the depth chart.

Because they realized they made a mistake when they cut him the first time?

Quote:Jags were at fsu pro day yesterday. They could get my boy Lonnie Pryor who participated in drills again for scouts!

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote:The FB Position is done.

Just look at the recent super bowl teams --> Patriots don't use a FB --- Seahawks mostly run out of the 1 RB formation

If you google a teams depth chart, you'll find a lot of teams like the Packers and Patriots don't even list a FB on the depth chart.

I thought the last several teams to win a SB actually used a FB. It was in a tweet about the Eagles 'toughness'.

Quote:Because they realized they made a mistake when they cut him the first time?

Well to be fair they didn't cut him. He was on the practice squad and the Bucs offered him a contract. We offered to match and promote him to the active roster but he chose the Bucs instead.

Well...they cut him in the preseason and signed him to the practice squad.  So he WAS cut by the team.  But now we're just splitting hairs.

Quote:Well to be fair they didn't cut him. He was on the practice squad and the Bucs offered him a contract. We offered to match and promote him to the active roster but he chose the Bucs instead.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

FWIW  ---  This morning - Oehser echoed my thoughts  from earlier in the thread when asked about Gerhart at FB.

Quote:My thoughts are that I asked Caldwell about this at the NFL Annual Meeting. To paraphrase, he said Gerhart indeed could play a fullback role in certain situations – i.e., when the Jaguars were running some West Coast-based schemes where the fullback moved and caught the ball out of the backfield as an H-back, etc. While the Jaguars don’t currently have a fullback on the roster with the release Tuesday of Bradie Ewing, it’s probably a stretch to think that Gerhart would be turned into a true slam-the-line-of-scrimmage blocking fullback.

Jags probably have scoured a few fullbacks that would do a good enough job as Undrafted rookie free agents. Those free agents will likely come here when they see that they literally have No other fullbacks to compete with.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I don't think there's an aversion to FB that's widespread among the league.

I believe it's more of an evolution.

The role is being absorbed by other players who aren't designated as full time FB.

At the same time, if you do carry FBs, you're probably asking them to contribute in ways other than just that particular position.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Jags probably have scoured a few fullbacks that would do a good enough job as Undrafted rookie free agents. Those free agents will likely come here when they see that they literally have No other fullbacks to compete with.
Very insightful, i agree with this.