Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Great Perspective on Football and Life

Quote: 

Another thing you miss after you leave the game is the structure. Imagine driving through a long, narrow tunnel. The road is laid out for you and the walls keep you from straying off course. The path is clear. That’s what your football career is like. Your goals and objectives are clearly defined, and so is the path to reaching them, and every decision you make in your life is made within the parameters of that tunnel with the ultimate goal of being the best football player you can be. Now imagine retirement as a giant, open field at the end of that tunnel. No more walls or road to guide you. No parameters. No rules. There are unlimited decisions and directions and limitless possibilities, but you don’t know the way. You don’t even know the destination. You’re on your own. For 11 years, my life operated on the football clock. I had weekly meetings and weekly goals, and every decision I made in my life — what to eat, when to sleep — was based on football. Suddenly, I didn’t have any direction when I woke up. I didn’t have that purpose. I didn’t know what I was supposed to be doing.

“In theory, freedom sounds great. We all want more freedom. But when I retired and I had all the freedom in the world, the only thing I craved was that structure. It was all I knew. Adjusting to the lack of structure and schedule is one of the biggest challenges of retirement because the real world moves much slower than the football world. Football is week-to-week, and everyone in the real world is working on the fiscal year. You have to slow yourself down because it’s not a sprint. You can’t attack every day like you do in football. You have to pace yourself and find balance. That’s a new concept for me.”

—Former Chargers center Nick Hardwick, who retired at 33 in February after an 11-year career, all in San Diego, in an
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/30/extra-poin...l-draft/3/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/30/extra-poin...l-draft/3/
Totally feel this. I can relate after being a college athlete to not going pro.

It does give you the "what now or where do i go" feeling.

Solid post!

It's this aspect that really creeps me out about a lot of these College coaches that are big time recruiters only to hit the bricks once things get dicey and the NCAA watchdogs start snipping at their heels. These people are trained to do one thing and to go about it in a very specific way; keep working, keep your head down, and just focus on football, everything else will take care of itself. Now, you're in an environment where you cannot just focus on one thing, but lots of things in order to maintain your health and well-being.

I know that this can be seen as a stretch on my part, but I can't help but think that a lot of these organizations are built with the athlete first, and the person second. I'm not so sure that that's the best way to be.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I guess in some regard its similar to the military. I was in the ARMY from Oct 01' to Oct 04' and it can be pretty hard to adjust from a hostile environment back to life as a civilian.... it was for me at least. It seems that there's a parallel between the two in the sense of structure and overall lifestyle. It just takes time to adjust after the initial shock he's going through wears off. Some have no problem and can "shut it off" almost instantly , some take years, and some never do.
"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne