Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do you expect out of Bortles?

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2015, 10:16 AM by Treestone Ice.)

Thinking about how bad the Jaguars passing attack has been for the greater part of the last decade - no 1000 yard receiver since 2005 for example, it makes me wonder what we can reasonably expect out of Bortles in 2015.

The fact that our record for passing TDs in a 16 game season is only 20 is embarrassing to me, which brings me to my question. With the signing of Julius Thomas and growth of our 2nd year WRS, do you think Bortles should be expected to break that record this year?

I think the answer is absolutely yes. Derek Carr, as a rookie, threw for more TDs last year than any passer in 20 years of Jaguars football. Yeah, that's pretty eye-opening.

If we don't have a 1,000 yard WR, and if Blake doesn't at least threaten the 20 TD mark in 2015, you'll have a hard time convincing me he's our franchise QB after the season.

So what's your opinion? Does Bortles need to throw 20 or more TDs for you to declare him a budding franchise QB? What does he have to do, in your opinions, to say he was successful at the end of the season?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it depends on the line more than it depends on Bortles.  He has the talent to do big things but not if he's on his back 60 times a game.  If the receivers stay healthy (which they didn't do last year) with the addition of Julius Thomas I think 20+ TDs should be expected.  But I really think it comes down to the line's ability to protect Bortles more than anything else.  You watch playoff games and the top QBs have all day to figure out what they want to do with the ball.

Quote:Thinking about how bad the Jaguars passing attack has been for the greater part of the last decade - no 1000 yard receiver since 2005 for example, it makes me wonder what we can reasonably expect out of Bortles in 2015.

The fact that our record for passing TDs in a 16 game season is only 20 is embarrassing to me, which brings me to my question. With the signing of Julius Thomas and growth of our 2nd year WRS, do you think Bortles should be expected to break that record this year?

I think the answer is absolutely yes. Derek Carr, as a rookie, threw for more TDs last year than any passer in 20 years of Jaguars football. Yeah, that's pretty eye-opening.

If we don't have a 1,000 yard WR, and if Blake doesn't at least threaten the 20 TD mark in 2015, you'll have a hard time convincing me he's our franchise QB after the season.

So what's your opinion? Does Bortles need to throw 20 or more TDs for you to declare him a budding franchise QB? What does he have to do, in your opinions, to say he was successful at the end of the season?
Derek carr got alot of those td's in garbage time aka chad henne

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:I think it depends on the line more than it depends on Bortles. He has the talent to do big things but not if he's on his back 60 times a game. If the receivers stay healthy (which they didn't do last year) with the addition of Julius Thomas I think 20+ TDs should be expected. But I really think it comes down to the line's ability to protect Bortles more than anything else. You watch playoff games and the top QBs have all day to figure out what they want to do with the ball.

This is key. Without the offensive line doing a good job, I would expect much of the same. I believe Bortles has the ability to be a great quarterback in the NFL. The real question should be what are the expectations for the offensive line. Honestly I was hoping that we would have pickled up at least 1 more quality OL in free agency. I'm not sure that we have adequately addressed the need there, and what is the strategy of the draft, if we are going to go after a lineman. If the current regime doesn't significantly improve as a whole, we will still be in the bottom 5 teams record-wise at the end of the season.

Quote:Derek carr got alot of those td's in garbage time aka chad henne

That's a poor excuse. The Jags have had plenty of garbage time over the years and still never had a guy throw for 21 TDs.

The Oline, like you guys said, is very important. I actually am not very hopeful in this current oline's ability to do an adequate job of protecting Bortles for a full season. That being said, Bortles drifted away from the mechanics he had focused on in preseason, and got to a point where he was blatantly missing wide open throws that were ten yards or less. Because of how much he was hit, I understand the lack of mechanics and clear regression Blake displayed at the end of the season, but I have the opinion that Blake is going to get hit a lot in 2015 as well. Not as much as last year, but I'm not a believer in our offensive line, and I don't think they're going to drastically improve on last years horrible performance.

Being that I really don't buy into a major improvement in our Oline, which I think will be a major point of emphasis in 2016 free agency, I have to temper my Bortles expectations a bit. I still expect him to at least sniff 20 TDs and have at least one 1000 yard WR, though.

Pretty fair assessment to me. Unless he gets injured, he should be around those numbers, at least.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

What do I expect? 

I see Bortles taking a slight step forward and throwing for around 3600 yards - 18 TDs  - 12 INTs  - and running for about 450 yards. 

Obviously the line will have to play a bit better to make this happen.  I think they will  - though I expect they'll be inconsistent.  

I also think Allen Robinson will eclipse 1000 yds receiving yards if he's healthy all season. 

20 TDs isn't asking for a lot. 1.25 passing tds per game..... He should be able to hit the 25 mark.

A lot of people are comparing Blake to Tannehill. In Tannehills second season, he threw for 3,900 yards and 24 tds to 17 ints. I would expect something like this.

Quote:20 TDs isn't asking for a lot. 1.25 passing tds per game..... He should be able to hit the 25 mark.

A lot of people are comparing Blake to Tannehill. In Tannehills second season, he threw for 3,900 yards and 24 tds to 17 ints. I would expect something like this.
I would be ecstatic with Tannehill's 2nd season numbers.  They would show real growth and potential.

Quote:What do I expect? 

I see Bortles taking a slight step forward and throw for around 3600 yards - 18 TDs  - 12 INTs  - and running for about 450 yards. 

Obviously the line will have to play a bit better to make this happen.  I think they will  - though I expect they'll be inconsistent.  

I also think Allen Robinson will eclipse 1000 yds receiving yards if he's healthy all season. 
 I would even be pretty happy with these numbers, especially if our running game begins to get going.  Or should I say goes at all.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2015, 12:10 PM by FHLusk.)

Quote:Derek carr got alot of those td's in garbage time aka chad henne

That's not true at all.  Go back and look at drive charts, you can say 6 tds at the most came during garbage time.  15 tds came while the Raiders were in competitive parts of games.  Let's stop just making up stats.

If Blake is only throwing 18 tds... We most likely won't win many games.

Not gonna say anything till I see his preseason. Biggest thing im looking for (as with the rest of us) are mechanics. He clearly has some great tools, most unteachable. But unless he corrects many things he will continue being inaccurate. 

Quote:That's not true at all.  Go back and look at drive charts, you can say 6 tds at the most came during garbage time.  15 tds came while the Raiders were in competitive parts of games.  Let's stop just making up stats.

I don't think it's a stretch to say the Jags had a way better WR corps either. Even more, Derek car had a shoddy running game until they figured out Latavius Murray was their best RB. The big difference is how many times each guy was sacked. Carr didn't get hit a whole lot last year, which is why I kinda liked the Greg Olson hire.

I'm not saying Carr is better, yet, but I think he was easily the most impressive rookie QB last year. I don't think Bortles was even second best. That spot is for Bridgewater, who also had no Oline and no WRs or running game, but still put up mediocre stats.

I'm expecting a big jump from Blake, even though the Oline concerns me. I think we will have a pretty good idea if he's the guy or not after this season; I think he has the ability to be the best of last years bunch and more, but we gotta start seeing it now.

Stats would be nice like a positive TD to INT ratio with a reduction in pick sixes.  Most importantly, is that I want Bortles to be a catalyst for the offense.  If he can make plays in the passing game such that the running game opens up or attack weaknesses of a particular defense, he will justify the high draft position.

I don't expect a 2 td to int ratio or him to consistently attack the defense's weaknesses, but against a lower quality D he should begin to thrive.  Entering his 4th year he should grow in these regards.

Quote:The fact that our record for passing TDs in a 16 game season is only 20 is embarrassing to me, which brings me to my question.

Garrard threw for 23 TDs in 2010 (franchise regard) in 14 games.

Quote:If Blake is only throwing 18 tds... We most likely won't win many games.

18 passing TDs would be a nice step forward for this offense  -  and I only expect around 7 wins anyway.  

18 TDs through the air is plenty for that number of wins.  

The 'hawks won 12 games with only 20 passing TDs.  (yes- I know our run game doesn't compare - but we're talking 5 less wins)

Avg QB that gets carried by the D and never comes through in the clutch
"Get Better Everyday"

Quote:Garrard threw for 23 TDs in 2010 (franchise regard) in 14 games.

Yeah, but we also had a ground game that consisted of Fred Taylor and MJD.

Quote:Avg QB that gets carried by the D and never comes through in the clutch

Uh...

I would love for 20+ TDs and I really hope that our Oline can keep Blake up right for him to have time to find someone open, I also hope someone gets open.