Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do you expect out of Bortles?

What I'd like to see from Bortles this year (assuming no major injuries, and no missed playing time):

3400 yards

20 TDs

Under 16 INTs

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My expectation is to improve mechanics. Improve deep ball connects consistently and accuracy overall. Improve reads and blitz identifications. 

Statistically, I would expect something around

26 TD's

3800 yards

61% completion 

7 ypa

8-12 ints

I feel most of his trouble came from the team as a whole being too young rather than just his ability alone. I think his natural progression coupled with the progression of the other young players will have an exponential increase on his production. Plus with the additions on offense such as Thomas and Parnell should improve 2 spots better than anything we've have in the last 15 years. 

The line gave up 70 sacks last year. If we can get that number down to 35-40 which is still too to high but a dramatic decrease from what we gave up last year; i think we can compete offensively much more often. 

On thing I do expect to see from Bortles is to run the ball much more this year as well. A have no problem with him relying on his athletic ability to help him succeed in his young career. Even Rodger being 31 will still tuck and run. His mobility is a major part of his game and I expect him to incorporate that more into his playing style to help him succeed.  

I expect Bortles to cut back on the INTs. That's first and foremost. Realistically, with him and the same receivers heading into year two with a new coordinator already bothers me a bit. Caldwell is going to have to find a RB in this year's draft, possibly two as I am not sold on Robinson yet. Otherwise he's going to struggle again. Pass protection should be better. I think that's a given. But I expect Bortles to finish with a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, maybe close out the year with 20 passing TD's on the dot. Flirt with 3800 - 4100 yards passing to be completely honest as well in that department. I still think he's going to run a bit here and there. Probably get 300 or more yards on the ground. Few TD's.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:28

Lol. So playoffs then? You're going to be disappointed. Bottles will get a few hundred rushing yards which will come off the passing total that u expect. He will be vastly improved, but still...

If you scroll down 11 threads below this you will see a Bortles expectation thread! Smh! But we should expect 20td and 10 ints imo at min..

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2015, 04:28 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Well I think 2:1 TD:INT has no chance of happening, so I will give my realistic improvement:

1.5:1 TD:INT - this would be a pretty big leap from a guy who had way more INT than TD last year (17:11 is above a 1.5 INT:1 TD Ratio).

Less Pick 6's- below 2 would be good for the season IMO

20 TD's - I think in a pass oriented league and with our weak sauce rushing game this is a more than reasonable expectation.

60%+ completion - He was doing this easily early on, but then his completion percentage took a nose dive the last 8 games.

3600 + Yards

6.8 + YPA (he was down to 6.12 YPA last year, that's getting dangerously close to Gabbert level (i.e. <6)

So here is my goals summarized

Thrilled level:

20:13 TD:INT ratio, 60%+ completion, 6.8+ YPA, 3600 yards.

Satisfied/okay level:

Anything over 3000 yards with a positive TD:INT ratio and a higher completion percentage.

Worried/need to move on:

Similar or worse performance to last year

Blake didn't set the bar too high last season, so I see no reason he can't have improvement pretty easily. He is thankfully, a much better prospect than Gabbert, but I will not anoint him the franchise savior till he does a whole lot better than last year.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Looking for 3400 yards, 23 TDs and 17 picks.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Greatness
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Winning games. Don't care about stats.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015, 11:00 AM by jagfanthrutherottenyears.)

Just for comparison:

Age                     GP   CMP   ATT   CMP%  YDS    AVG   TD  LNG   INT   FUM  RAT  Sacks    Sacks per GP

23 Carr               16      348     599   58.1     3270   5.46    21    77     12     4       76.6     24           1.5

22 Bortles           14      280     475   58.9     2908   6.12    11    63     17     4       69.5     55           3.93

22 Bridgewater   13      259     402   64.4     2919   7.26    14    87     12     3       85.2     39            3

The Jags O-line was the worst in league in pass protection last year by far. They gave up the most sacks at 71, with Washington in second place at 58. That's 13 more sacks than the second worst line, which is just under 1 extra sack per game. Minnesota was 5th with 51 sacks given up and Oakland was 27th with 28 sacks given up.

By comparison, Gabbert was sacked 40 times his rookie year (2011 in 15 games for 2.67 sacks per game) and Henne/Gabbert combined for 50 sacks over the entire season in 2012.

“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson

To be fair, Bortles didn't take all 71 sacks. He did take most of them though, and it was hard to watch. Pretty upsetting to me that Dave and Gus didn't stick to their guns and play henne all year, especially since Bortles took a beating AND the OC was fired at the end.

Hopefully the experience will help Blake, but we damn near David Carr'd him last year I thought.

Quote:To be fair, Bortles didn't take all 71 sacks. He did take most of them though, and it was hard to watch. Pretty upsetting to me that Dave and Gus didn't stick to their guns and play henne all year, especially since Bortles took a beating AND the OC was fired at the end.

Hopefully the experience will help Blake, but we damn near David Carr'd him last year I thought.

I didn't say he took all 71. In my post, it actually says he took 55, which is almost 1 sack per game more than Bridgewater and 2.5 sacks per game more than Carr.

I just don't think all the handwringing over Bortles is timely yet, especially given the record-setting horribleness of our o-line. If Bortles doesn't really improve, then this time next year, I'll join line for the Modis Semi-Monthly Leap.

“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Rooster, on 28 Mar 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:<a class="" href='http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=461550'>[Image: snapback.png]</a>

Quote:I think it depends on the line more than it depends on Bortles. He has the talent to do big things but not if he's on his back 60 times a game. If the receivers stay healthy (which they didn't do last year) with the addition of Julius Thomas I think 20+ TDs should be expected. But I really think it comes down to the line's ability to protect Bortles more than anything else. You watch playoff games and the top QBs have all day to figure out what they want to do with the ball.
"This is key. Without the offensive line doing a good job, I would expect much of the same. I believe Bortles has the ability to be a great quarterback in the NFL. The real question should be what are the expectations for the offensive line. Honestly I was hoping that we would have pickled up at least 1 more quality OL in free agency. I'm not sure that we have adequately addressed the need there, and what is the strategy of the draft, if we are going to go after a lineman. If the current regime doesn't significantly improve as a whole, we will still be in the bottom 5 teams record-wise at the end of the season. "

I have to roll with these two opinions. I think he has the 'X' factor that we've been missing in our quarterbacks since Brunell, but he also has the issues with his mechanics. I think that a lot of that problem would be solved with better play from our o-line. He does have a little experience under his belt now, along with our receiver corps. The addition of Julius Thomas will hopefully add a dimension to the offensive attack that has been all but missing for years now. Still... so much of our hope for BB2 rides with the improvement of our o-line, and I'm another one who isn't positive that the need there has been adequately addressed during the off season. Considering that careers are at stake, I would've thought that the o-line would be the absolute top priority.

One things for certain; there will be no more excuses if our offensive LT gets pushed around again this season.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

I expect 27 TDs, 15 interceptions, 3,745 PYDS, And 3 rushing touchdowns.

Quote:If you scroll down 11 threads below this you will see a Bortles expectation thread! Smh! But we should expect 20td and 10 ints imo at min..
If you bothered to read the thread you are referring to, you would know that there is very little discussion in it about Bortles.

Quote:I expect 27 TDs, 15 interceptions, 3,745 PYDS, And 3 rushing touchdowns.

What does the "P" stand for?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Pazillion.

Or, just a guess, passing.

Better decision making. Become the dynamic guy he was when he first came in for Henne last year, but with less TOs

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015, 08:29 PM by P. Haze.)

Quote:That's a poor excuse. The Jags have had plenty of garbage time over the years and still never had a guy throw for 21 TDs.

The Oline, like you guys said, is very important. I actually am not very hopeful in this current oline's ability to do an adequate job of protecting Bortles for a full season. That being said, Bortles drifted away from the mechanics he had focused on in preseason, and got to a point where he was blatantly missing wide open throws that were ten yards or less. Because of how much he was hit, I understand the lack of mechanics and clear regression Blake displayed at the end of the season, but I have the opinion that Blake is going to get hit a lot in 2015 as well. Not as much as last year, but I'm not a believer in our offensive line, and I don't think they're going to drastically improve on last years horrible performance.

Being that I really don't buy into a major improvement in our Oline, which I think will be a major point of emphasis in 2016 free agency, I have to temper my Bortles expectations a bit. I still expect him to at least sniff 20 TDs and have at least one 1000 yard WR, though.
That's not a poor excuse, it's a stupid comment. But he's the same idiot that said Khalil Mack wasn't good. Bortles had plenty of garbage time and still flamed out. If this guy can't throw for over 20 touchdowns this season then he's a problem. People make excuses for him but any other quarterback is supposed to make everyone around him better except for a #3 picked quarterback in the draft who's in his 2nd year. That goes for the line, receivers, and tight ends. I hope Bortles kills it because he comes from UCF but I'm not going in expecting nothing until he does it.