Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do you expect out of Bortles?

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015, 10:31 PM by leopold332002.)

[quotthat costly winese name="P. Haze" post="461847" timestamp="1427674890"]That's not a poor excuse, it's a stupid comment. But he's the same idiot that said Khalil Mack wasn't good. Bortles had plenty of garbage time and still flamed out. If this guy can't throw for over 20 touchdowns this season then he's a problem. People make excuses for him but any other quarterback is supposed to make everyone around him better except for a #3 picked quarterback in the draft who's in his 2nd year. That goes for the line, receivers, and tight ends. I hope Bortles kills it because he comes from UCF but I'm not going in expecting nothing until he does it.[/quote]

guess what you're the same Chump that whines all the time like a five year old child.for once in your life at like a grown up.

[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015, 10:32 PM by leopold332002.)

Quote:That's not a poor excuse, it's a stupid comment. But he's the same idiot that said Khalil Mack wasn't good. Bortles had plenty of garbage time and still flamed out. If this guy can't throw for over 20 touchdowns this season then he's a problem. People make excuses for him but any other quarterback is supposed to make everyone around him better except for a #3 picked quarterback in the draft who's in his 2nd year. That goes for the line, receivers, and tight ends. I hope Bortles kills it because he comes from UCF but I'm not going in expecting nothing until he does it.
guess what you're the same Chump that whines all the time like a five year old child.For once in your life act like a grown up buddy.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Am I the only one that thinks that if Dave and Gus could call shenanigans on the whole 2014 season and do it all over again, that they wouldn't have played Bortles until week 8 at the earliest?

I know how bad Henne was at the time, but with 71 sacks, I don't think it was gonna be long before Henne was carted off and the kid was forced to start anyway. He took 10 sacks in week 2 alone lol.

Just a thought.

25 TDs, 3800 yrds, 9-14 ints

He has to improve from last year. Showing flashes last year, our team has already gotten better and will improve more after the draft this year. The stats arent important, IF HE GETS US TO THE PLAYOFFS then thats all that matters.

When you think about what caldwell and bradley has done since coming here, its great, we went from a terrible pass rushing team to one of the best last year. We got what could be a franchise qb, we got a great young group of recievers who i believe one will eclipse 1000 yrds this season (I believe Blackmon is gonna do it, if he plays the year; mark my words). Getting there with young "upside" DBs. Gotta work on OL, RB and a FS. We jus have a young energetic team and good things are coming! Go jags!

Quote:Am I the only one that thinks that if Dave and Gus could call shenanigans on the whole 2014 season and do it all over again, that they wouldn't have played Bortles until week 8 at the earliest?

I know how bad Henne was at the time, but with 71 sacks, I don't think it was gonna be long before Henne was carted off and the kid was forced to start anyway. He took 10 sacks in week 2 alone lol.

Just a thought.
I kind'a think that if they could call a 'mulligan' on last season they almost certainly wouldn't have started Bortles until later in the season. I'm inclined to think that Gus's hand was forced by a 'higher authority' to start Bortles when he did. Pure speculation, to be certain; but, it fits the situation like a glove.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:I kind'a think that if they could call a 'mulligan' on last season they almost certainly wouldn't have started Bortles until later in the season. I'm inclined to think that Gus's hand was forced by a 'higher authority' to start Bortles when he did. Pure speculation, to be certain; but, it fits the situation like a glove.

That "higher authority" was Henne sucking more than they ever imagined.

Quote:That "higher authority" was Henne sucking more than they ever imagined.
This.  I don't know why people have such a hard time getting this simple concept. 

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM by Teal Curtain.)

I Still expect Bortles TD/INT ratio to be pretty high.

He takes risks, that's what he does. And to be honest, i like that stuff. He doesnt get down on himself when he throws one either.

I belive his completion percentage will improve along with the amount of TD's and yards.

But I think the people who believe he will throw less than 10-12 pics are not being realistic.

If he can give me 3500 yards 20 TDs 14INTs I'd be content with because that would be an improvement.

Anything better than this I think will be icing.

I expect Bortles to eventually develop into a midtier QB who has a long career due to his durable looking big body.

Quote:This.  I don't know why people have such a hard time getting this simple concept. 

I've heard two theories; one says Caldwell knew we would suck regardless and stuck with Henne because he knew the system, and one group thinks someone forced Gus' hand to play Bortles. Who could have forced that decision? Khan and Caldwell are my only two guesses. I don't think it was Khan, because Caldwell supposedly made it clear the team would be bad with or without Henne, and I don't think it was Caldwell, because his seat was never really warm to begin with. 

So what made the team desperate enough to start the rookie one week after Henne took 10 sacks behind an obviously bad offensive line and after spending an offseason saying he wasn't ready?

We will never know all the answers, but I know my opinion is I wish Bortles had not played at all last year. 

Quote:I've heard two theories; one says Caldwell knew we would suck regardless and stuck with Henne because he knew the system, and one group thinks someone forced Gus' hand to play Bortles. Who could have forced that decision? Khan and Caldwell are my only two guesses. I don't think it was Khan, because Caldwell supposedly made it clear the team would be bad with or without Henne, and I don't think it was Caldwell, because his seat was never really warm to begin with. 

So what made the team desperate enough to start the rookie one week after Henne took 10 sacks behind an obviously bad offensive line and after spending an offseason saying he wasn't ready?

We will never know all the answers, but I know my opinion is I wish Bortles had not played at all last year. 
I think Caldwell probably wanted Bortles not playing, and Bradley is the one who decided to start him.  I think they thought Henne could at least play competently until they thought Bortles was ready, but that they soon realized that Henne was just flat out terrible.  It didn't help that Henne is a statue and our oline was trash last season. 

I am fine with sitting first round pick QBs, but you have to have someone who at least gives the team a chance to win, and the only thing Henne gives the Jags a chance for is about 17 points every other 10th start. 

Quote:I've heard two theories; one says Caldwell knew we would suck regardless and stuck with Henne because he knew the system, and one group thinks someone forced Gus' hand to play Bortles. Who could have forced that decision? Khan and Caldwell are my only two guesses. I don't think it was Khan, because Caldwell supposedly made it clear the team would be bad with or without Henne, and I don't think it was Caldwell, because his seat was never really warm to begin with. 

In light of the recent moves by the team in general, I feel like Fisch and his offense had more to do with this than may initially be thought.

Think about this scenario: with Fisch trying to outscheme the Defense at every turn, Henne kept being left in a spot where the young offense around him couldn't adapt quick enough. That meant  Henne was left to improvise, which is not one of his strengths. Since the Offense was already installed and there wasn't time to go back and reset, they had to play the guy who could improvise when the rest of the Offense couldn't Enter, Bortles.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Pazillion.

Or, just a guess, passing.

I figured it probably meant passing but I have never seen a "P" put in front of yds when it is typed out as a stat line, it's usually just "yds" not "pyds"

It just looked different  to me.

I wanted to make sure and not assume anything.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:In light of the recent moves by the team in general, I feel like Fisch and his offense had more to do with this than may initially be thought.

Think about this scenario: with Fisch trying to outscheme the Defense at every turn, Henne kept being left in a spot where the young offense around him couldn't adapt quick enough. That meant  Henne was left to improvise, which is not one of his strengths. Since the Offense was already installed and there wasn't time to go back and reset, they had to play the guy who could improvise when the rest of the Offense couldn't Enter, Bortles.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what Henne's strengths are.

Anybody?

I guess he can take a beating and still get back up, so maybe toughness is a strength, but is there anything Henne can do, on the field, that is considered a strength?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

5000+ yards and 50+ TDs or bust

I just want him to succeed and take us to the promised land. but tbh i never liked the pick and his mechanical problems predraft still persists but i expect him to be a in the top 15-25  qb range which is solid for a sophomore QB.

Quote:Am I the only one that thinks that if Dave and Gus could call shenanigans on the whole 2014 season and do it all over again, that they wouldn't have played Bortles until week 8 at the earliest?

Just a thought.
If they could go back knowing what they know now, you definitely keep henne in all season. Bortles doesnt get sacked 55 times and we probably ending up picking first and in position for a trade but we sacrifice Bortles getting real on field experience. I take that scenario 9/10

I expect Bortles to be more accurate throwing the football and to not throw pick sixes with the game on the line.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015, 08:31 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Quote:5000+ yards and 50+ TDs or bust
It just boggles my mind that you would waste your time to write something that wastes everyone's time. It's like you go out of your way to make people think you're a jackass.

I hope your predictions are accurate though.

I expect less 125 yard passing games and more 200+ yard ones. I still expect double digit INTs, maybe 12-13 (under 15 would be a success IMO) but I also expect many more touchdowns. Give him 18-22 passing TDs. Rushing production will be exactly the same, between 350-450 yards and a couple TDs.