Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do you expect out of Bortles?

Quote:This.  I don't know why people have such a hard time getting this simple concept. 
Actually, given how the rest of the season turned out, I've no reason to think that we did any better with Bortles than we would have if we had left Henne in. This is just speculation, of course; but what isn't speculation is the result of starting Bortles before we had a semblance of a decent o-line in front of him. The net end result of the season would've been about the same with either of these guys in there; but by starting Bortles when we did, we caused him to regress in his technique. Bottom line: we shot ourselves in the foot by not leaving Henne in there last season.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Actually, given how the rest of the season turned out, I've no reason to think that we did any better with Bortles than we would have if we had left Henne in. This is just speculation, of course; but what isn't speculation is the result of starting Bortles before we had a semblance of a decent o-line in front of him. The net end result of the season would've been about the same with either of these guys in there; but by starting Bortles when we did, we caused him to regress in his technique. Bottom line: we shot ourselves in the foot by not leaving Henne in there last season.

...or we gained Bortles valuable experience.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I want to see the long ball over the defender hitting receivers in stride with a soft pillow that drops in their hands.  (so often that defenses have to take it as a legitimate threat)

We should see very obvious improvements in every category really.  He has had his opportunity to catch up to the speed of the game.  Now, he needs to look like a capable commander on the field with an ability to outsmart even the best secondaries.  He should demonstrate an ability to anticipate blitzes, and make the quick pass or screen to alleviate the pressure on the o-line.

I desperately wish he would have better stats than Luck.

I'm tired of seeing him everywhere

The BLAKE BORTLES EFFECT shall consist of pure excitement for beloved fans as they watch in amazement with glee as he scores successfully with ease!

GO JAGS!

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2015, 12:26 PM by cland.)

*Edit: Man, this was laid out in a perfect table in the reply post, and it totally butchered it when posting.

Here are the stats pages I referenced:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id...ke-bortles

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id...ndy-dalton

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id...-tannehill

I think these are some real-world stats that Blake has to follow to prove he can be mid-level everyday starting QB. You'd like to see his pass attempts go up into the 329-355 range.  You'd like to his completion attempt to increase into the 60-62% range. And ideally his Passing per attempt yds go up into the 6.6yds.  His passing touchdowns should go way up into the 25 range, and INT should be about not quite as good as 2:1.  Finally, I think Blakes QB rating would have to be above the 80 mark.

The eye test is important as well, but way less reliable than recorded stats.

When reading an article a few minutes ago about Matthew Stafford and the Lions passing game,  I came across a stat regarding Blake Bortles that I certainly wasn't aware of.   As a rookie,  Bortles led the NFL in screen pass completions.   It's subjective whether this is a positive stat or not.  But it's something worth adding to the discussion about the QB's rookie season and him moving forward:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/li.../25681791/

The question is whether Stafford actually will use those receivers. Last year was his first season with two 1,000-yard receivers in Golden Tate and Calvin Johnson, but Stafford was among the leaders in throwing screen passes. According to Profootballfocus.com, his 68 attempts were second only to Jay Cutler's 73 and his 61 completions were second only to Blake Bortles' 62.

Funny, the masses around here would have you believe Derek Carr threw the most dinks and dunks, and that him throwing for 21 TDs (the Jaguars franchise record is 23 TDs in one season) was a fluke because of that. 

I could care less if Bortles is "dink and dunk".. As long as he's productive and leads this team to wins..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

A superbowl ring and a competitve team year in and year out.  A good QB will get you atleast one of those.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:<div style="margin:0px;font-weight:bold;font-family:arial, sans-serif;">Blake Bortles flashed more potential in Jacksonville than you remember
Blake Bortles had one of the worst statistical seasons of the last decade by a quarterback. Yet the more I watch him play, the more there is to like. Bortles rips off at least five "wow" plays per game that most starting NFL quarterbacks could not pull off. Eli Manning and Alex Smith were not doing that during their awful rookie seasons. 

Bortles was hampered by drops and an absolutely dreadful offensive line more than any rookie quarterback in 2014. His decision-making quietly improved as the season wore on and he is very athletic. Yes, I am projecting here. He needs to be more accurate. But his biggest problems (getting fooled by defenses, spotty decision-making) should be solved with experience. He can be a solid starter, which would be a massive jump after his unpleasant introduction to the league

</div>
--

Quote: 

<div style="margin:10px 0px 0px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-familyConfusedans-serif;font-size:16px;">

--

</div>

Wait... So who am I supposed to be enraged at about this? The names change so much that I get confused.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

This is what I hope to see from Bortles in 2015; when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter, he steps it up a notch and runs out the clock if we're in the lead, or puts together game winning drives. Too often in the past we've had to depend on the defense to stop the other team's comeback drives. The offense needs to take charge in the last 5 minutes of every game.

Just give me average QB play this year and ill be happy.

Quote:Funny, the masses around here would have you believe Derek Carr threw the most dinks and dunks, and that him throwing for 21 TDs (the Jaguars franchise record is 23 TDs in one season) was a fluke because of that. 
Depends on how you define dinks and dunks. It says Bortles led the league in screen completions. Carr was last in the league in YPA at 5.46 so he threw a ton of them.

Today I was in the Doctors office waiting room. Amazingly there was a pre-draft issue of a sports magazine. Since it was a doctors office mag, of course it was old, a 2014 pre-draft issue. Smile

It had an article on how Bortles would NOT be a bust, and that he had the lowest bust potential of the top 5 QBs.

As far as how well Bortles will do this season, I can only hope that the great promise he displayed in the preseason was a preview of how he ends up playing.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

3,000 Plus yards

2 to 1 td to int ratio

65% completion ratio +

respectable ypa.

[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

i've been reading Bortle's player page on Rotoworld. Is it me or do they really hate him?

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:i've been reading Bortle's player page on Rotoworld. Is it me or do they really hate him?

If Bortles played for another team, they'd be singin' his praises..

That makes me laugh..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Hahahahahaha

You guys remember this?

20tds 3000 yards

Safe to say he's exceeded all of our expectations. Yet some people still troll these parts
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS