Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Prince Amukamara...how much?

Quote:Ok.. he made $5.5 mil. My bad... I swear that first five looked like a 6.

We'll see if his injury history continues to hold him back in terms of getting paid, but the market value is up there for good CBs, which he is. $7 mil per year is possible if they manage to low-ball him, but my guess is that he makes $9 mil with an additional $2 mil per year in active roster incentives to help ensure he stays healthy.

The transition tag, btw, represents the average of the top 10 cap hits from the past season, and for this year it's $12.4 mil for CBs. Looking at 2017 salaries, the #10 overall cap hit is $11 mil, but keep in mind this does not include any UFA CBs. In other words, when the season starts, $11 mil won't even be a top 10 cap hit. There are currently 16 CBs with cap hits equal to $9 mil or more for 2017, and 25 CBs with cap hits of $7 mil or more.

You also have to keep in mind the nature of free agency and how they tend to get more. For instance, top free agents are often made the most expensive player at their position even if there are plenty of players better than him. Moreover, consider that I'm merely talking about his average salary per year being $9 mil. You see, contracts are typically back-loaded with the higher salaries toward the end meaning that even with this average, his cap hit next year would only be around $7 mil. I sort of feel like you're confusing his 2017 cap hit with his average yearly cap hit.

I understand everything you stating, the question is do you believe he is worth it?? I understand how contracts work, just in my opinion I don't believe his worth is that high but I can see why he would get that much ...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I just can see him for what he is worth..
He's worth more than you think.

We'd all like to keep him around for two more years for peanuts, but the jags have tons of space under the cap. And a couple of other teams will be willing to overpay as well. 

They can offer him a front loaded contract at 8 mil per year - cut him in year three with no guaranteed money left to pay out - and by then they'll have a younger, cheaper and better player ready to go.

I don't see any issue there.

If you are mad about Amukamara potentially being overpaid for two seasons then you need a remedial course on NFL free agency.

If they aren't going to draft and start a player like Conley or White in the first or second - they need someone to play opposite Ramsey.

Quote:I understand everything you stating, the question is do you believe he is worth it?? I understand how contracts work, just in my opinion I don't believe his worth is that high but I can see why he would get that much ...

I would like to see more picks and plays made on the ball to help justify the expense, however, just watching him play such tight coverage makes him worth it in my book provided he can stay healthy. It's that last part about him staying healthy where my biggest concerns lie which is why I'd like to see some of the money in the form of active roster bonuses.

As for his game...

Think about how often we've yelled at House and Gratz for getting flat out beat. Now think about how often we've yelled at Prince for the same thing. With Prince, we rarely ever have. The guy just doesn't get beat like that, and moreover, what I really like is how WR after WR fails to get any real separation on him. What does kill me is how often I see his hand right up in the WRs face looking to knock down a pass, but the WR still makes some incredible play to come down with it. I don't know if this is just coincidence, but with Ramsey we actually see the ball getting knocked down or intercepted. That's the main thing separating the two right now in addition to Ramsey being so much more physical as a player.

'02

Quote:Yeah I know... but if you guys are saying Prince is worth 10 mill.. And that's top 10 cb money.. What will Ramsey get? 15 -20 mill?

Maybe...

Josh Norman this year has a $20 mil cap hit.

BTW, the following are the CBs with a 2017 cap hit ranging from $8.5 mil to $9.5 mil. Let me know if you can say that any of these names are flat out better than Prince...

• Sean Smith - Raiders

• Chris Harris - Broncos

• Kareem Jackson - Texans

• David Amerson - Raiders

• Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Giants

• Byron Maxwell - Dolphins

• Buster Skrine - Jets

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017, 11:50 PM by wg171.)

2016 interceptions

Ramsey - 2

Gipson - 1

Smith - 2

Poz - 1

Yannick - 1

Total - 7 (4 by non-db's)

This must change...big time

Quote:2016 interceptions

Ramsey - 2

Gipson - 1

Smith - 2

Poz - 1

Yannick - 1

Total - 7 (4 by non-db's)

This must change...big time

I'd hoping Josh Johnson gets more of an opportunity to see the field next year. He strikes me as a younger player who can get the INTs if given a shot. As for the rest of them, including Prince assuming he stays, hopefully the new position coaches do the trick. Obtaining a first round S should also help.

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2017, 12:10 AM by jessepeck1213.)

Quote:Maybe...

BTW, the following are the CBs with a 2017 cap hit ranging from $8.5 mil to $9.5 mil. Let me know if you can say that any of these names are flat out better than Prince...

• Sean Smith - Raiders
  • Chris Harris - Broncos
  • Buster Skrine - Jets
Chris Harris and DRC are better than Prince. Skrine sucks. The rest are in the same group.

Quote:I'd hoping Josh Johnson gets more of an opportunity to see the field next year. He strikes me as a younger player who can get the INTs if given a shot. As for the rest of them, including Prince assuming he stays, hopefully the new position coaches do the trick. Obtaining a first round S should also help.
Johnson impressed me as well

I hope you are right about the staff

He's certainly not worth a King's ransom.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote: 

Maybe...

• Sean Smith - Raiders

• Chris Harris - Broncos

• Buster Skrine - Jets

Harris is one of the best in the game. He's better. DRC is all over the place but he was great this past season.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 07:16 PM by ATLjag.)

I would like Prince to stay, as he was not a liability (and I didn't yell his name with expletives often).  However, for starting 12 games, he only had 6 pass defenses and 0 interceptions.  Sure, it's nice that he had just under 50 tackles, but it's only part of the job.  I just don't see him being worth in the $10m range...he's not been a playmaker.

For this level of salary, give me AJ Bouye...more tackles, more pass defenses, and more interceptions this past season.  Also, gain a player and put a hole in a division rival. 

Quote:I would like Prince to stay, as he was not a liability (and I didn't yell his name with expletives often).  However, for starting 12 games, he only had 6 pass defenses and 0 interceptions.  Sure, it's nice that he had just under 50 tackles, but it's only part of the job.  I just don't see him being worth in the $10m range...he's not been a playmaker.

For this level of salary, give me AJ Bouye...more tackles, more pass defenses, and more interceptions this past season.  Also, gain a player and put a hole in a division rival. 
Bouye's gonna get like 14 mil. 

Quote:Bouye's gonna get like 14 mil. 

Agreed. Talk about a career year, he'll be coming from around 1-2 million to your prediction.

Spotrac is showing Bouye with a market value of $11.2 mil, or just slightly more than what is says for Prince. The difference is that I don't see them taking Prince's injury history into account. That is to say, Bouye probably will get $11 mil per in a contract whereas Prince may be held down to say $9 mil per (plus possible active roster bonuses as incentives to stay healthy).

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 08:53 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

All I care about is Prince with us next year or not?   His pay is his business.  Imagine if everyone at every job.  Had the public to criticize how much they are paid?  

Well John......  Only was on the forklift 90% of the time.  And the rest was using pallet jacks. So not worth 12 bucks an hour.  His company should only pay him $9.50.

Cause spends some time using a pallet jack, rather than a forklift. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 09:32 PM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:All I care about is Prince with us next year or not? His pay is his business. Imagine if everyone at every job. Had the public to criticize how much they are paid?

Well John...... Only was on the forklift 90% of the time. And the rest was using pallet jacks. So not worth 12 bucks an hour. His company should only pay him $9.50.

Cause spends some time using a pallet jack, rather than a forklift.
His salary relates to the team so yeah this does concern us. Salaries directly affect the construction of the roster which relates to the team thats out on the field, which is kind of what were here for.

Quote:His salary relates to the team so yeah this does concern us. Salaries directly affect the construction of the roster which relates to the team thats out on the field, which is kind of what were here for.
We have a ton of cap room and have for a long time. When your team isn't doing very well and you dont play in the huge and desirable market, you tend to pay a bit more for talent. It is possible that we overpay for Prince a bit but it isn't like we don't have the cash, and he is proven commodity. Could we spend the same amount and get a better player in FA? possibly, but there's a good chance we bring someone in who was better somewhere else and they stink up the joint. The secondary was pretty good last year, why do we need to mess with it, aren't there enough question marks on this team already?

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:We have a ton of cap room and have for a long time. When your team isn't doing very well and you dont play in the huge and desirable market, you tend to pay a bit more for talent. It is possible that we overpay for Prince a bit but it isn't like we don't have the cash, and he is proven commodity. Could we spend the same amount and get a better player in FA? possibly, but there's a good chance we bring someone in who was better somewhere else and they stink up the joint. The secondary was pretty good last year, why do we need to mess with it, aren't there enough question marks on this team already?
i didnt say i didnt want to resign him

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017, 01:32 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:His salary relates to the team so yeah this does concern us. Salaries directly affect the construction of the roster which relates to the team thats out on the field, which is kind of what were here for.
The salary cap has nothing to do with individual ticket sales.

That is a rediculious theory.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

He's got you there Glock