Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Embarrassment to Epiphany

One of the dark moments in Jaguars history was the loss in the 1999 AFC Championship game to tje tacks.  There was additional salt in the wounds when that loss was put in context of the rap song "Uh oh" that some members of the team put out earlier in the year (note: the idea of a TC coached team putting out a rap song sounds like a SNL skit).

For those of you too young to remember, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYSlGaQsC8I

But as I look at that video and think back to those times, I realize as disappointed as we all were, we didn't realize how good we had it.

I remember sitting next to a guy in the stands at a game and he was complaining about how conservative the team was, yada yada yada.  My dismay barely masked, I reminded him we were TEN AND ONE (10-1) at the time.  The season was not quite 3/4th of the way done, and we were sitting at ten wins.  Even though I knew we had it good, and I knew bad times were sure to come, I didn't know how bad it would get.  We have NINE wins combined over the past three years.

No, that team didn't reach the Super Bowl, and I am still sickened by that loss.

But we had a blast during those days.

I long for the days when this team can be a reasonable replica of that team.

I think if we have another draft like we had last year, I think we can.

But it sure seems a long way away.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ugh 1999 damn you bullseye now my day is ruined.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

you never know how much you'll miss her, until she walks out the door.

you never knew how good you had it, till you're not in the post season store.

the days that have gone by, were like a sweet, sweet lullabye.

and now you're in the cellar, with those wet post season dreams.

post season dreams, how they haunt you,

you wish they'd go away,

just because your football team,

didn't come to play.

their taking down the goal posts,

and locking up the gates,

all because your football team

didn't come to play.

yes, all because your football team

didn't come to play.

'Post Season Dreams' by muddylips

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

I've never understood why football fans enjoy complaining so much. 

Quote:I've never understood why football fans enjoy complaining so much.

Who's complaining? I don't see anybody complaining in this thread.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

No complaining at all.

Just some perspective.

I look at that clip and see guys who were decent to good players (Barlow, Stewart, Beasley Bryant) making big time plays for us.  At various times, I remember, despite the success, thinking Bryant did not become the shut down corner for us, or that Beasley was overrated by some.  Those guys I listed were not the "stars" of that team but were perhaps the second or third tier starters/contributors.

But looking at those clips and remembering that season, guys on that level of the team were still contributing in big ways to the cause.

I look at this team, and I realize that as much promise as last year's draft class seems to hold, as of yet they haven't ascended to star status such that the second and third tier starters/contributors can't really contribute as much as they could, or, looking more pessimistically, our second and third tier players don't equate to those guys.

When this team starts winning again-hopefully this year-I think Jaguars fans will be more appreciative.  Older ones like me who remember the "golden era" of the Jaguars, and the younger group whose Jaguars frame of reference begins in the JDR era-or later-who have never known a time of sustained Jaguars dominance, will cheer  louder, longer, and more enthusiastically when we start winning again because we have endured the dark ages.

Quote:Who's complaining? I don't see anybody complaining in this thread.

Quote:No complaining at all.

Just some perspective.

I look at that clip and see guys who were decent to good players (Barlow, Stewart, Beasley Bryant) making big time plays for us.  At various times, I remember, despite the success, thinking Bryant did not become the shut down corner for us, or that Beasley was overrated by some.  Those guys I listed were not the "stars" of that team but were perhaps the second or third tier starters/contributors.

But looking at those clips and remembering that season, guys on that level of the team were still contributing in big ways to the cause.

I look at this team, and I realize that as much promise as last year's draft class seems to hold, as of yet they haven't ascended to star status such that the second and third tier starters/contributors can't really contribute as much as they could, or, looking more pessimistically, our second and third tier players don't equate to those guys.

When this team starts winning again-hopefully this year-I think Jaguars fans will be more appreciative.  Older ones like me who remember the "golden era" of the Jaguars, and the younger group whose Jaguars frame of reference begins in the JDR era-or later-who have never known a time of sustained Jaguars dominance, will cheer  louder, longer, and more enthusiastically when we start winning again because we have endured the dark ages.

Quote:One of the dark moments in Jaguars history was the loss in the 1999 AFC Championship game to tje tacks.  There was additional salt in the wounds when that loss was put in context of the rap song "Uh oh" that some members of the team put out earlier in the year (note: the idea of a TC coached team putting out a rap song sounds like a SNL skit).

For those of you too young to remember, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYSlGaQsC8I

But as I look at that video and think back to those times, I realize as disappointed as we all were, we didn't realize how good we had it.

I remember sitting next to a guy in the stands at a game and he was complaining about how conservative the team was, yada yada yada.  My dismay barely masked, I reminded him we were TEN AND ONE (10-1) at the time.  The season was not quite 3/4th of the way done, and we were sitting at ten wins.  Even though I knew we had it good, and I knew bad times were sure to come, I didn't know how bad it would get.  We have NINE wins combined over the past three years.

No, that team didn't reach the Super Bowl, and I am still sickened by that loss.

But we had a blast during those days.

I long for the days when this team can be a reasonable replica of that team.

I think if we have another draft like we had last year, I think we can.

But it sure seems a long way away.
It's right there!  Am i losing it or something?!?

Perspective is a two-edged sword; on the one hand, as one of those who remember the 'glory days' of the Jags, it tends to make our current situation particularly painful because I remember what it was like when we had Jimmy, Keenan, Fred, Tony, Mark, Leon, TC, and the like. We should have made it to the SB that year. I remember all too painfully that dropped punt...

I have to agree with you that compared to the 'glory days', I just don't see anyone who really shines like those early guys did. Of course, we happened to be the beneficiaries of what almost a 'dream team' situation back then. Bosselli LT, Searcy RT, Brunell QB, Taylor RB, J. Smith and K. McCardell WR's. We just didn't realize how good we really had it at the time, and practically right from the get go of the franchise.

Glory days... when will we see them again?

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM by Bullseye.)

Gotcha Jags 32250.

As I recall, the guy was a Gator fan.  I can only assume he was a relatively new NFL fan.

At the time, the Gators were riding high and that was his football frame of reference.

I don't get into this to bash Gators fans-Tebow cultists aside. I think anyone whose football frame of reference starts with a team with an insanely explosive offense-especially in the college ranks- was liable to see TC's offense in the NFL as something of a step down.

But it was a fun offense to watch.

We NEED 3 things to happen.

1) Someone to step up on offense, (Julius/Lee/RB/Blackmon/someone)

2) Blake needs to come into his own

3) Consistent pressure causing more turnovers

We can fill a few of these holes through another strong draft if Dave can work his magic. The good news, is that a) we can only get better, and b) our team is extremely young. Lets hope and pray boys.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Not soon enough, Muddylips

I forgot all about that song...lol.

Someone might as well link the Matt Jones one for a good laugh too!
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2015, 10:14 PM by knarnn.)

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!!!! I know Greg Williams and company had our playbook in '99. I hope the tacks toil in the cellar of the AFCS for another 10 years as retribution.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:It's right there!  Am i losing it or something?!?

My apologies Jags 32250, I'm an a**.

Sadly, I don't even have the memories that some of you older fans do. As a kid I watched the 62-7 blowout of the Fins but I was still a brainwashed Steelers fan. Funny thing is during those years when the Jags were on TV because they were good, I really liked the Jags logo and secretly started rooting for the Jags. Right around 01-02 I broke my old mans heart and officialy became a Jags fan and its been mostly a rough ride since then.

I wouldn't change it for the world though. I believe deep down this team is on the rise and it is going to be that much sweeter when it eventually gets a Lombardi Trophy.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Those were the days that hooked me as a Jagger for life. At the time I thought there was no way we would have losing seasons. Boy was I wrong. Can't wait for the good times to roll again. I will not take it for granite this time,

Thanks for the link. Watched a few others too like espn coverage of the Dolphins loss 62 to 7 in 99 and the Colt's 44 to 17 loss when we had 79 yards passing and 375 yards rushing with Taylor and MJD tag team.

I refuse to watch that video. Can't relive the pain, although that was a magical time to be a jaguars fan. We have been teased with returns of the glory days. I'm just here waiting for it to be constant again
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:We NEED 3 things to happen.

1) Someone to step up on offense, (Julius/Lee/RB/Blackmon/someone)

2) Blake needs to come into his own

3) Consistent pressure causing more turnovers

We can fill a few of these holes through another strong draft if Dave can work his magic. The good news, is that a) we can only get better, and B) our team is extremely young. Lets hope and pray boys.

And a pass coverage.

Quote:WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!!!! I know Greg Williams and company had our playbook in '99. I hope the tacks toil in the cellar of the AFCS for another 10 years as retribution.

you left two "0" off 1000?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]