Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marcedes Lewis to be traded?

Quote:Sure, I just think Marcedes finding a team that thinks he's got what they need is very unlikely. He just doesn't have a modern NFL TE skill set.
I'll agree on that.  My most realistic best-case scenario with him is that he is healthy and provides above-average blocking making him have a decent role in our offense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Why would you want Marcedes on the field when you could have Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, or Marquis Lee on the field instead?

You could have all of them, in theory.

It gives us options.... unless you think Harbor>Lewis ?

2 wide 2 TE, 3 wide 2 TE, 1 wide 2 te 2 back with Toby and Drob (or Gurley, or Gordon, or any draft pick)

And I realize these sets can be run with Harbor (and if we keep 3TEs, which is likely we still could run some packages with Harbor)

but I think Lewis is a blocker and pass catcher, and his drops were over exaggerated and his opportunities have been slim. In the RZ he is still a threat. And we've seen a few times when he has made a play for Blake or Chad.

Hold on for a second.  I'm going in to change his Wikipedia page to state that he graduated from Oregon.

We may be able to get a 2 rounder from Philly.

There is zero trade value.  Too old and too expensive.  Any team interested in Lewis will simply wait to see if the Jags release him.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:There is zero trade value.  Too old and too expensive.  Any team interested in Lewis will simply wait to see if the Jags release him.
You think rumors are drummed up TRYING to get a bite?

Or is it just filler free agency bs?

Quote:You could have all of them, in theory.

It gives us options.... unless you think Harbor>Lewis ?

2 wide 2 TE, 3 wide 2 TE, 1 wide 2 te 2 back with Toby and Drob (or Gurley, or Gordon, or any draft pick)

And I realize these sets can be run with Harbor (and if we keep 3TEs, which is likely we still could run some packages with Harbor)

but I think Lewis is a blocker and pass catcher, and his drops were over exaggerated and his opportunities have been slim. In the RZ he is still a threat. And we've seen a few times when he has made a play for Blake or Chad.

You can have all of them on the field, but not with a RB in the backfield, which negates the only thing that Marcedes has been able to do reasonably well during his career, which is run block. As a pass catcher I'd much rather have Harbor out there, if the team wants to do multiple tight end sets, but with what the Jaguars rookie triplets showed in 2014 I think it's going to be a lot more likely that Marcedes sees very limited time in action if he even makes the team.

Quote:You think rumors are drummed up TRYING to get a bite?

Or is it just filler free agency [BAD WORD REMOVED]?

Oh, I'm sure teams have called to get a sense for what the Jags are going to do with Lewis.  I doubt any of the callers has been serious about anything but putting feelers out to get an idea of whether the Jags intend to release him or not.  The price tag is too high, and the player is too old for any serious discussions about trades. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If there was a serious trade offer, I'm sure they could arrange a contract renegotiation along with the deal.  Similar thing was done with the Brunell to Washington deal.

That would be a team that would want first shot at him before hitting the open market.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2015, 03:20 PM by Etdavis2006.)

You never know we may can get a 3rd or even a second the way some of these teams are throwing around picks and players this year. Lewis and a 4th could possibly fetch a 1st from Cleveland or the Pats to get Brady more protection these last few years. 

It took Jimmy Graham and a fourth for an an all-pro center and a first. Lewis and a fourth maybe third could solidify a late first round with the veteran reputation Lewis has in the media. 

I will take some rocks or a 7th round pick

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2015, 03:28 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:I will take some rocks or a 7th round pick
This is the expected value even proper trade lol 

Quote:I don't see anyone trading for Lewis unless he agrees to a huge pay cut.
I'm inclined to agree. It's not that Mercedes isn't without value; he has been useful as a blocker (when he doesn't 'whiff') and he has (at times) caught passes thrown to him. It's just that he hasn't proven to be worth what we pay him. So if he was willing to restructure his contract to more closely resemble his productivity, then I could see teams possibly being interested in him. And remember... for all of Julius Thomas's ability to catch the football, he isn't known for being of any use as a blocker. Unless I'm mistaken (and I often am) I'm under the impression that our new offensive coordinator is a 'run first' guy, so a TE with blocking ability is valuable. 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:I'm inclined to agree. It's not that Mercedes isn't without value; he has been useful as a blocker (when he doesn't 'whiff') and he has (at times) caught passes thrown to him. It's just that he hasn't proven to be worth what we pay him. So if he was willing to restructure his contract to more closely resemble his productivity, then I could see teams possibly being interested in him. And remember... for all of Julius Thomas's ability to catch the football, he isn't known for being of any use as a blocker. Unless I'm mistaken (and I often am) I'm under the impression that our new offensive coordinator is a 'run first' guy, so a TE with blocking ability is valuable. 

Run blocking for TEs is severely overrated. The real advantage of having a TE like Thomas is that he forces the defense to play more coverage instead of loading up the box as has been the tradition for teams playing against the Jaguars.

Marcedes is due $6.6m in base salary this year, and a $150k workout bonus (that may have already been paid).  The $8.2m cap hit includes prior signing bonus amortization that a new team would not have to expense or spend.  His new team would be on the hook solely for the $6.6m salary.   Given the recent FA contracts, I do think there is likely a team that would trade for him.  I don't think the value would be much, but, remember, teams have traded for Blaine Gabbert and even Mike Thomas.

Quote:Marcedes is due $6.6m in base salary this year, and a $150k workout bonus (that may have already been paid).  The $8.2m cap hit includes prior signing bonus amortization that a new team would not have to expense or spend.  His new team would be on the hook solely for the $6.6m salary.   Given the recent FA contracts, I do think there is likely a team that would trade for him.  I don't think the value would be much, but, remember, teams have traded for Blaine Gabbert and even Mike Thomas.
The difference being neither of those guys had hefty price tags attached to their contracts. 

Quote:If there was a serious trade offer, I'm sure they could arrange a contract renegotiation along with the deal.  Similar thing was done with the Brunell to Washington deal.

That would be a team that would want first shot at him before hitting the open market.

The only team I could honestly see making any sort of legitimate trade offer would be Oakland.  They need to find guys with bloated contracts so they can spend some of that cap money. 

Oakland seems pretty sketchy in their FA dabbling.  There's a target.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:The only team I could honestly see making any sort of legitimate trade offer would be Oakland.  They need to find guys with bloated contracts so they can spend some of that cap money. 

The additional JDR component might also work in the Jaguars favor in getting a late round pick.

I'd take a 6th or 7th round pick for Lewis.  McCray was drafted late and the 6th or 7th round is an ideal spot to find a punt/kick returner...or just some more ammo to move up in a round. I'm all about getting anything possible for Lewis.  He's past 30 and obviously isn't in this team's future. 

BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

Quote:I'd take a 6th or 7th round pick for Lewis.  McCray was drafted late and the 6th or 7th round is an ideal spot to find a punt/kick returner...or just some more ammo to move up in a round. I'm all about getting anything possible for Lewis.  He's past 30 and obviously isn't in this team's future. 

I think Caldwell would gladly take a conditional late round pick for him at this point. He plays good poker, though, so you'll never know just how little he really thinks of the guy as anything other than filling a roster spot until he's been cut.