Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marcedes Lewis to be traded?

Quote:I think Caldwell would gladly take a conditional late round pick for him at this point. He plays good poker, though, so you'll never know just how little he really thinks of the guy as anything other than filling a roster spot until he's been cut.

Nothing Caldwell has said would give any indication that they'd be happy to see Lewis gone.  Quite the opposite actually.  I don't think they feel the need to get rid of Marcedes.  That's a fan thing. If a good offer was posed, I'm sure they'd consider it, but they're not dangling Lewis out there for trade. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Discussions probably have gone like this 

*ring ring*

Caldwell: Hello?

Other team GM: Hey, nice pick up in getting Thomas... we thought you might be interested in trading Lewis now?

Caldwell: I'm listening...

Other team GM: Well we were thinking a conditional 7th, that would become a 6th based upon playing time.

Caldwell: How about a 5th rounder?

*click*

I'm guessing it wasn't Philly or Oakland on the other line.

Quote:Nothing Caldwell has said would give any indication that they'd be happy to see Lewis gone.  Quite the opposite actually.  I don't think they feel the need to get rid of Marcedes.  That's a fan thing. If a good offer was posed, I'm sure they'd consider it, but they're not dangling Lewis out there for trade. 

Like I said, the guy plays good poker, but I don't think he's incompetent enough to not recognize Marcedes limited ability to contribute to the game. I don't expect to see a lot of two TE sets and I expect Harbor or some other move TE possibly not on the roster to be the immediate backup to Thomas so that the scheme can stay the same even when the backup is in. Marcedes contribution from here on out will likely be limited to certain packages. I don't expect Marcedes to make the regular season roster.

Marcedes Lewis for Jairus Byrd. Make it happen.

Quote:Like I said, the guy plays good poker, but I don't think he's incompetent enough to not recognize Marcedes limited ability to contribute to the game. I don't expect to see a lot of two TE sets and I expect Harbor or some other move TE possibly not on the roster to be the immediate backup to Thomas so that the scheme can stay the same even when the backup is in. Marcedes contribution from here on out will likely be limited to certain packages. I don't expect Marcedes to make the regular season roster.

I really wouldn't be too sure about two TE sets. Julius is not a good blocker, and with an already suspect line from last season, it might make it tough for us to run the football if he's the sole TE in the formation. Keep in mind that as of now, we have no FB on the roster. It's quite possible that the coaches are looking at singleback formations with 3 WRs or singleback formations with two TEs as our base offensive formations.

Quote:I really wouldn't be too sure about two TE sets. Julius is not a good blocker, and with an already suspect line from last season, it might make it tough for us to run the football if he's the sole TE in the formation. Keep in mind that as of now, we have no FB on the roster. It's quite possible that the coaches are looking at singleback formations with 3 WRs or singleback formations with two TEs as our base offensive formations.
FB is a dying position with so many "move-hybrid-Hback-TE" type players...

Quote:FB is a dying position with so many "move-hybrid-Hback-TE" type players...

Which would coincide with what I posted. I remember either Gus or Dave referring to Julius as our "move TE". So yeah, it's quite possible that we'll do a lot of formation with Lewis there for his run blocking and Julius as the "move" to keep the defense honest.

Quote:I really wouldn't be too sure about two TE sets. Julius is not a good blocker, and with an already suspect line from last season, it might make it tough for us to run the football if he's the sole TE in the formation. Keep in mind that as of now, we have no FB on the roster. It's quite possible that the coaches are looking at singleback formations with 3 WRs or singleback formations with two TEs as our base offensive formations.

The team can pick up a FB without problem at any point, draft or later in free agency. With the current talents of the team you're more likely looking at a lot of 3 wr with single back and single TE formations as the base offense. Which is the better lineup? Robinson, Lee, Hurns, and Thomas with a single back, or Robinson, Lee, Marcedes, and a fullback? We've seen for years what the second lineup leads to. The Jaguars signed Thomas for a reason, Caldwell recognizes that a downfield passing game is key to winning, and Marcedes isn't much of a contributor to that effort. If the Jaguars surprise people and take a WR high it'll be even worse for Marcedes.

Quote:Which would coincide with what I posted. I remember either Gus or Dave referring to Julius as our "move TE". So yeah, it's quite possible that we'll do a lot of formation with Lewis there for his run blocking and Julius as the "move" to keep the defense honest.
A lot of people want to get rid of Lewis... but he could be our TE/FB, motion to the backfield sometimes to lead block... with Thomas the "move" and Clay the "swing" backup that can probably do a lil of both.

If we agree to eat Lewis salary this year I reckon the saints would give us a 5th for him and caldwell seems to do well with his 5ths

but unless we had a blocking te lined up to replace him better to keep him around one more year considering Thomas is no blocker

Quote:The team can pick up a FB without problem at any point, draft or later in free agency. With the current talents of the team you're more likely looking at a lot of 3 wr with single back and single TE formations as the base offense. Which is the better lineup? Robinson, Lee, Hurns, and Thomas with a single back, or Robinson, Lee, Marcedes, and a fullback? We've seen for years what the second lineup leads to. The Jaguars signed Thomas for a reason, Caldwell recognizes that a downfield passing game is key to winning, and Marcedes isn't much of a contributor to that effort. If the Jaguars surprise people and take a WR high it'll be even worse for Marcedes.

Actually, you used the wrong lineup for comparison.

It should be:

Robinson, Lee, Hurns, and Thomas with a single back vs. Robinson, Lee, Thomas, Lewis with a single back.

The first line-up is a good passing formation. But Lee isn't a good blocker, and neither is Thomas. Can we be successful with this formation if we want to run the football? If we go with this formation, the defense likely plays nickel. If we run, we'd be at a disadvantage due to Lee and Thomas run blocking. If we pass, then we have the advantage of Julius vs. a LB.

Now, let's look at the 2nd formation. Is it as dynamic passing the football? The substitution of Lewis for one of the receivers makes it not so. But the dilemma for a defense with that line up is...how do you defend it?

Do you play nickel? If you do, you'll get caught with a dback against Julius. Yeah, he's not a great blocker, but he's still 6'5 250 going against a DB who will likely be 5'10/5'11 180 lbs. That's an advantage to us running the football. So say you don't want that risk, and you go base formation (either 3-4 or 4-3) and stick a LB on Julius. Well, then you have a mismatch if we throw the ball to Julius (similar match-up if we go 3 WR/1 TE).

It allows us to create formation problems for the defense, which IMO is why Lewis will stick barring a tantalizing offer (I'd say 4th round or higher).

Quote:If we agree to eat Lewis salary this year I reckon the saints would give us a 5th for him and caldwell seems to do well with his 5ths

but unless we had a blocking te lined up to replace him better to keep him around one more year considering Thomas is no blocker

The Saints are purging salaries. They will not want Lewis' 6-7M on their books.

Quote:The Saints are purging salaries. They will not want Lewis' 6-7M on their books.
Exactly.  The only team that would be happy to absorb his salary is Oakland. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Actually, you used the wrong lineup for comparison.

It should be:

Robinson, Lee, Hurns, and Thomas with a single back vs. Robinson, Lee, Thomas, Lewis with a single back.

The first line-up is a good passing formation. But Lee isn't a good blocker, and neither is Thomas. Can we be successful with this formation if we want to run the football? If we go with this formation, the defense likely plays nickel. If we run, we'd be at a disadvantage due to Lee and Thomas run blocking. If we pass, then we have the advantage of Julius vs. a LB.

Now, let's look at the 2nd formation. Is it as dynamic passing the football? The substitution of Lewis for one of the receivers makes it not so. But the dilemma for a defense with that line up is...how do you defend it?

Do you play nickel? If you do, you'll get caught with a dback against Julius. Yeah, he's not a great blocker, but he's still 6'5 250 going against a DB who will likely be 5'10/5'11 180 lbs. That's an advantage to us running the football. So say you don't want that risk, and you go base formation (either 3-4 or 4-3) and stick a LB on Julius. Well, then you have a mismatch if we throw the ball to Julius (similar match-up if we go 3 WR/1 TE).

It allows us to create formation problems for the defense, which IMO is why Lewis will stick barring a tantalizing offer (I'd say 4th round or higher).

I left the back and Thomas out of my second list. I don't think the Jaguars will run the second lineup as base, they'll likely run the first lineup as base because it allows the most talented players onto the field. I also think the team will do a better job running the ball when the defense is looking pass than the team will do passing the ball when the defense is looking run.

Quote:Exactly.  The only team that would be happy to absorb his salary is Oakland. 

Oakland would be a good possibility. They have money that they need to spend, and IIRC, JDR has always had good things to say about Lewis. Marcedes might even be willing to renegotiate and get a contract extension since he's a Cali guy.

Quote:Oakland would be a good possibility. They have money that they need to spend, and IIRC, JDR has always had good things to say about Lewis. Marcedes might even be willing to renegotiate and get a contract extension since he's a Cali guy.

That might be the only way a team trading for Marcedes would make sense. A team literally trying to waste money.

Quote:I left the back and Thomas out of my second list. I don't think the Jaguars will run the second lineup as base, they'll likely run the first lineup as base because it allows the most talented players onto the field. I also think the team will do a better job running the ball when the defense is looking pass than the team will do passing the ball when the defense is looking run.

Which is the wrong mindset. You said the goal is to put the most talented players on the field. You can't even remotely say that right now because 1) Thomas is valued higher than Lewis (so no reason why you have Lewis in there instead of him) 2) we don't know who our FB is because we don't have one.

The comparison you have of Robinson, Lee, Lewis, and a FB is not a good comparison. The one I presented of 2WR/2TE is a much better comparison, for the reasons I stated. So, as I framed from my previous post...

We line up with Robinson and Lee split wide. Julius in the slot as our move, and Lewis as a traditional TE.

You're the Defensive coordinator of the opposing team. What formation do you run?

Go.

Quote:The Saints are purging salaries. They will not want Lewis' 6-7M on their books.

I think I'm going mental maybe I'm thinking of football loan deals but can't you agree to pay a proportion of his salary as part of the trade or is that another sport?

Quote:Which is the wrong mindset. You said the goal is to put the most talented players on the field. You can't even remotely say that right now because 1) Thomas is valued higher than Lewis (so no reason why you have Lewis in there instead of him) 2) we don't know who our FB is because we don't have one.

The comparison you have of Robinson, Lee, Lewis, and a FB is not a good comparison. The one I presented of 2WR/2TE is a much better comparison, for the reasons I stated. So, as I framed from my previous post...

We line up with Robinson and Lee split wide. Julius in the slot as our move, and Lewis as a traditional TE.

You're the Defensive coordinator of the opposing team. What formation do you run?

Go.

What are you talking about? I said I forgot to list Thomas on the second lineup. Marcedes should never be in a lineup over Thomas, even if it's a power run formation. Thomas should be in on every down. What we're really doing is arguing over Marcedes being better or worse than having the 3rd WR on the field and a single back or having the 2nd WR on the field and a FB. In either case I'd say it's much more valuable to have the WR on the field than Marcedes unless it's a goal line definite power run situation.

Yeah...I don't see Lewis going anywhere personally. The only possible trade would be Oakland based on cap space and Del Rio.