Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marcedes Lewis to be traded?

Quote:What are you talking about? I said I forgot to list Thomas on the second lineup. Marcedes should never be in a lineup over Thomas, even if it's a power run formation. Thomas should be in on every down. What we're really doing is arguing over Marcedes being better or worse than having the 3rd WR on the field and a single back or having the 2nd WR on the field and a FB. In either case I'd say it's much more valuable to have the WR on the field than Marcedes unless it's a goal line definite power run situation.

OK, I misunderstood what you meant when you said you left him off.  But yes, we are debating whether a 3rd WR is more valuable than a 2nd TE. That's what we have to do if you're going to claim that Lewis has no place in this offense. Neither Julius nor Lee are good run blockers. Even if you look at it from the perspective of the defense being worried about the pass, from a match-up stand point, it's still not a good match-up for us.

Having Lewis in there along with Julius gives us a more balanced formation that should allow us to attack through the air or on the ground.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think I'm going mental maybe I'm thinking of football loan deals but can't you agree to pay a proportion of his salary as part of the trade or is that another sport?

I think we can negotiate to lower his cap figure. If we did that, then Lewis will have to agree to it (since I'm sure he wants his $6-7M this season), Saints will have to agree with it (since they'll be on the hook for it, and they are so close to the cap that the number will have to reduce significantly), and the Jaguars will have to agree to it. If the Jaguars are going to pay an upfront amount to make Lewis' salary fit NO's cap structure, then it will only increase the compensation that we'd want in return (you would think). In that case, NO may not want to do the deal at all.

Its just not a good fit given their circumstance.

Quote:OK, I misunderstood what you meant when you said you left him off.  But yes, we are debating whether a 3rd WR is more valuable than a 2nd TE. That's what we have to do if you're going to claim that Lewis has no place in this offense. Neither Julius nor Lee are good run blockers. Even if you look at it from the perspective of the defense being worried about the pass, from a match-up stand point, it's still not a good match-up for us.

Having Lewis in there along with Julius gives us a more balanced formation that should allow us to attack through the air or on the ground.

No, Lewis isn't a strong enough receiver to convince any teams to keep coverage players in just for him. The difference between having Lewis in and having Lee and Hurns in or Lee in is Lee/Hurns are legitimate receiving threats that keeps teams in nickle or dime and 6-7 guys in the box. By bringing in Marcedes you stop dictating the defensive coverage like you can if you play more spread out.

Quote:Yeah...I don't see Lewis going anywhere personally. The only possible trade would be Oakland based on cap space and Del Rio.
I dont see Raiders doing it because they are in a rebuild also and want the draft picks. What about a team like Atlanta or Arizona, teams that have had problems blocking and want to win now?

Quote:No, Lewis isn't a strong enough receiver to convince any teams to keep coverage players in just for him. The difference between having Lewis in and having Lee and Hurns in or Lee in is Lee/Hurns are legitimate receiving threats that keeps teams in nickle or dime and 6-7 guys in the box. By bringing in Marcedes you stop dictating the defensive coverage like you can if you play more spread out.

I guess we're not getting anywhere here, since you refuse to acknowledge what I'm trying to discuss. Which is...

It doesn't matter if the opposing team can only put 6 in the box when, Lee and Julius, both not good run blockers, are getting beat by their respective match-up (Lee vs. nickel corner, Julius vs. a LB) and allowing defenders to disrupt the play.

When contract talks come up he may end up being traded. They won't be keeping him at that price tag

He loves to drop the ball just drop him to show him what its like.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Quote:That trade caused a warrant to go out for Dave Caldwell's arrest with the charge of grand theft.

While that might not quite be true, I do believe the current downfall/freefall  of the Niners can be traced directly back to that Gabbert trade.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

O-Zone touched on it a bit today. Not really much insight - but he almost certainly won't be playing for the Jaguars at that salary next year.

Quote:Run blocking for TEs is severely overrated. The real advantage of having a TE like Thomas is that he forces the defense to play more coverage instead of loading up the box as has been the tradition for teams playing against the Jaguars.
No doubt you're correct about JT and the effect (we hope) he will have. I would also mention however that a large part of why other teams have habitually 'loaded the box' against us is that we've had an offensive line that was a 'sieve'. We've also had either a dramatically poor quarterback (gabbert) or a stone cold rookie (BB2) both of whom have issues when under pressure, again thanks to our o-line. If our o-line could be 'stiffened up' there would be considerably less interest in stacking the box against us, even without 'elite' level receivers.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Surely we can work a trade with the Saints since its a firesale going on over there.

Quote:Surely we can work a trade with the Saints since its a firesale going on over there.

Firesales generally happen so a team can rid themselves of horrible contracts, not take on more.

Quote:Firesales generally happen so a team can rid themselves of horrible contracts, not take on more.
Exactly.  We'd have better luck trying to work out a trade deal with Oakland, who is flush with cash and having a hard time finding enough bad contracts to eat up some of that cap space.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I dont see Raiders doing it because they are in a rebuild also and want the draft picks. What about a team like Atlanta or Arizona, teams that have had problems blocking and want to win now?
The Raiders would be a possibility strictly because they're having a tough time landing players with the kind of contracts they need to eat up some of that cap space. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I would take a 5th in a heartbeat. An extra 5th round pick provides more value than Marcedes production next year + his contract.

Quote:The Raiders would be a possibility strictly because they're having a tough time landing players with the kind of contracts they need to eat up some of that cap space. 

That would be a nice destination for him.

I still chuckle at the urgency some have to get rid of him.  So much energy wasted towards a player.  If he's traded, nice.  If he stays, no big deal.  If he's cut, oh well... nothing to lose any sleep over no matter what happens.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:It amazes me that anyone thinks another team would trade for a 30+ year old TE with a 6+ million dollar contract that doesn't offer anything as a receiver and whose blocking has regressed as he ages. There are some dumb front offices out there, but I don't think any of them are that dumb. Marcedes will either play for the Jaguars as a second line guy being overpaid, or he'll be released at some point before the season.

He went to a Pro Bowl and has legit film out there. He is superman as far as the Browns are concerned.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:Why would you want Marcedes on the field when you could have Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, or Marquis Lee on the field instead?

I'd rather have two pass-catching tight ends on the field in the red zone and in 3rd and short. Gives the defense more to think about. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote:That would be a nice destination for him.

I still chuckle at the urgency some have to get rid of him.  So much energy wasted towards a player.  If he's traded, nice.  If he stays, no big deal.  If he's cut, oh well... nothing to lose any sleep over no matter what happens.

Well, we can't all be numb to the situation now can we? Not on the Jags forum. There must be panic and chaos.

Quote:I'd rather have two pass-catching tight ends on the field in the red zone and in 3rd and short. Gives the defense more to think about.

Two pass catching tight ends? Say what!
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.