Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How do you grade this (probable) first wave of signings?
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Grade The Jags First Wave of FA *Signings (*unofficial)

Were any of these guys on your wish-list?  Is Dave doing enough to satisfy your expectations in free agency? 

Julius Thomas TE

Jermey Parnell OT

Dan Skuta     LB

Davon House  CB

Jared Odrick DE/DT

*Sergio Brown  FS

*late addition/edit

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Conservative me wants to wait until after 4 PM before I celebrate.  More precisely I will wait until after the signings of contracts before I celebrate.  I will say I am hopeful.

C+

Like the J.Thomas splash

Still needed another splash, but many players were extended by their team.

Young players with upside adding to the competition. Potentially several new starters.

Add Murray to the mix and I'd bump it to a B

Wish we got Suh, Houston, or McCourty, though maybe we dodged a bullet with that Suh contract

If we get Murry id give it an A.

Meh too many backup players
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

It's been as good as anyone realistically could have hoped for. No doubt to me Jags have won FA this year.

B-

Get Murray and you get an A-

Quote:Meh too many backup players
Yeah, who wants young, ascending players from stacked teams! 

I think there are one or two guys left in the first wave. Maybe ascending young guys, maybe Bryan Bulaga (a man can hope), but I don't think the team is finished with that group.

So far, compared to what this club is used to as opposed to FA?

A-

Add Murray? A+
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I like it so far.  Solid B from me.  I don't get the Murray love so much though, unless you guys are expecting him to play at a very high level for 3 years or more.  He's close to the age where RB's fall off a cliff so I wouldn't necessarily expect 3+ years of high level play which means he'll likely be done by the time we're supposed to be contending.  What's the point in that?

I guess if they want to do everything in their power to help Blake succeed, like giving him a legit running game, I can see the value in that.  Need O-line help for that though.

This class really alters the draft for us. Maybe not the first round but definitely after that.

Murray is a huge gamble. One im not sure we need to take since getting J. Thomas. Are we really convinced Shoelace isn't going to develop further? Even last year he did an alright job. The TE position was completely dead so I understood swinging for the fences there. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

too early for this but so far B. I say B because Pernell RT in my opinion got paid a bit more than I expected, especially if he hasn't played much. Also House signing was a great one but 6.25 million? I believe that the coaches believe that House can be a Sherman type player where locking him in at 6.25 mill a year is much better than signing him to a 8+ mill a year to be that guy. I like the singings but so far a B until we get a FS. FS, automatically A. 

Well Caldwell definately has a strategy in place, we'll have to see how it plays out.  His recipe is obviously go for young, ascending talent and hope it pans out.  I can't say i don't like this approach, as it makes a ton of sense for a building team, but i can't recall ever seeing an example of this philosophy and how it worked out. 

It will be a VERY interesting training camp, with all the youth and unknowns, especially after the draft.  This team is shaping up to have a very new look next year.  Hopefully it's a good one.

Right now, it appears that a lot of these guys are 2nd tier developmental hopefuls. It seems like the team is offering a lot of money for guys that aren't really very established players; maybe they'll be good... then again, maybe they won't and we just shucked out some big bucks for other teams cast off's, which would be kind'a sop for the Jags.

I remain hopeful until I have a confirmed reason not to be; but for now, all I can give is a C+.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Murray is a huge gamble. One im not sure we need to take since getting J. Thomas. Are we really convinced Shoelace isn't going to develop further? Even last year he did an alright job. The TE position was completely dead so I understood swinging for the fences there. 

I think it's more of a Toby replacement. We've seen a good bit from Denard to know he should have a bright future. But Toby showed nothing (not all his fault, but most was). He will either be our FB or maybe cut; or Johnson maybe.

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:C+

Like the J.Thomas splash

Still needed another splash, but many players were extended by their team.

Young players with upside adding to the competition. Potentially several new starters.

Add Murray to the mix and I'd bump it to a B

Wish we got Suh, Houston, or McCourty, though maybe we dodged a bullet with that Suh contract

I agrees! No Murray for me, I'd bump the grade down if we get Murray.

Quote:I agrees! No Murray for me, I'd bump the grade down if we get Murray.

You don't bump a grade down for signing an upgrade.. ever..That's stupid..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I'd like Murray here, but there are caveats. Carries last year. Has been injured in previous years. Played behind a mammoth line and a team that was a pass first offense the prior year. Pass offense kept the box from stacking up.

That being said, he would hopefully help our pass game if they did stack the box. Then having a healthy Toby as well can pay some huge dividends.

The money is there. Get him and this FA will be at least something to get excited about. But grading cant really be done until we see how the younger guys do. The "potential" guys. 

But so far, the tunnel light ain't the train coming at us...hopefully its the tail lights.

Blakes Life Matters