Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How do you grade this (probable) first wave of signings?
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Grade The Jags First Wave of FA *Signings (*unofficial)

Quote:I will say Caldwell definitely excels at structuring contracts.

Idzik is doing Cap Management.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:A link to the details of Odrick's contract. Very nicely structured. No signing bonus - all roster bonus. The Jags can walk away free and clear after 2016, or pay a $2 million roster bonus and his salary and keep him along.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/3/12/8...wn-jaguars

Something doesn't add up. I don't see a $22M guarantee on that breakdown.

Quote:Idzik is doing Cap Management.
Well, who did it last year and years prior? I thought Caldwell did them.

Quote:Something doesn't add up. I don't see a $22M guarantee on that breakdown.

Good catch. The first 2 years are guaranteed at $17M. Straightforward enough there. But after that, there's no combination of the numbers listed that gets you to $22.5. And there would have to be something guaranteed after years 1 and 2 for the contract to guarantee $22.5M.

Quote:Well, who did it last year and years prior? I thought Caldwell did them.
I'm sure Calwell gives the general parameters he want to spend for players, but he doesn't do the actual contract structure and stuff.

For a looooong time (I believe since inception actually) the Jags capologist was Paul Vance. He was fired a few years ago and it's been Sashi Brown since then. 

Prisco:

B+

Jacksonville Jaguars

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">They had a lot of money to spend, but they didn't go nuts. They landed their top three targets in tight end Julius Thomas, tackle Jermey Parnell and defensive end Jared Odrick. They love corner Davon House as well. They still have a ton of cap room, which could mean a player or two still might come aboard. What will they do with tight end Marcedes Lewis and his huge cap number now that Thomas is in the fold?

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete...only-one-a

Quote:Prisco:

B+

Jacksonville Jaguars

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">They had a lot of money to spend, but they didn't go nuts. They landed their top three targets in tight end Julius Thomas, tackle Jermey Parnell and defensive end Jared Odrick. They love corner Davon House as well. They still have a ton of cap room, which could mean a player or two still might come aboard. What will they do with tight end Marcedes Lewis and his huge cap number now that Thomas is in the fold?

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete...only-one-a

Lake Wobegon, where every team is above average.

Actually, there were several D's given out, but a lot more B's than D's. Since free agency is just a reshuffling of existing players, one would expect the number of winners and losers to balance out.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Lake Wobegon, where every team is above average.

Actually, there were several D's given out, but a lot more B's than D's. Since free agency is just a reshuffling of existing players, one would expect the number of winners and losers to balance out.

balance is about mass and location. If one team has a surplus of talent at a position and a backup for that team (viewed as starting quality) moves to a team lacking talent. The team gaining the player has moved the scale more in their favor than the team losing a player. I would consider D. House a great example of this.

Since every franchise in FA is trying to fill spots on their roster in a similar way, it isnt so crazy that more positive than negative grades are handed out.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015, 11:13 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

“There are still talented players out there,” Caldwell said Monday at the Arizona Biltmore, where owners and officials from all 32 teams gathered for the ’15 meetings. “When we get back at the end of this week and the beginning of next week we’ll regroup as a personnel staff and coaching staff, see what’s out there and where we can improve. …

This is a good list on what is left.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51...ree-agents

Quote:This is a good list on what is left.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents'>http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents</a>

Still good veteran depth out there

I'm surprised Barksdale and Wisniewski are still available, especially Wisniewski being a good, young center.

There must be something they know that we don't . Why would the raiders desperately want to replace him still questions me a bit .

Quote:if anyone is sick of hearing the manning references they should ask eric decker of his thoughts. 
ask pierre garcon who had his best 2 seasons without peyton manning and with rg3 at qb. People need to stop making manning like he's the only reason why wide receivers can be productive and everyone knew when decker left denver he was a #2 receiver at best just like emmanuel sander is now. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:There must be something they know that we don't . Why would the raiders desperately want to replace him still questions me a bit .
Rodney Hudson is really good young center Raiders picked up too. I agree that is odd that he's still available though

Quote:Rodney Hudson is really good young center Raiders picked up too. I agree that is odd that he's still available though

I hear he injured his shoulder and had surgery on it Soo that may be the reason and Hudson is better aswell. He just visited the jags and hopefully it went well. He's only 26 too.

Quote:I hear he injured his shoulder and had surgery on it Soo that may be the reason and Hudson is better aswell. He just visited the jags and hopefully it went well. He's only 26 too.
Yeah would be interesting too see. I like to see either Steve W or Luke Bowanko play Lg and the other center. Haven't seen enough of Steve to know if he's better Center or guard!

Quote:Yeah would be interesting too see. I like to see either Steve W or Luke Bowanko play Lg and the other center. Haven't seen enough of Steve to know if he's better Center or guard!
Neither of them are nearly as good as Beadles, but depth would be fine. 

Quote:Really? A fake account with over 5000 posts, ok.

Sorry I don't share your rose colored optmism but I have seen most of these players that have been signed play and not really impressed. Thomas at least is a good catching tightend but that really is all he does well, given our Oline issues and an inexperinced QB I just dont see the use. I have seen this to many times and watched it become a diaster every time with this team. Agian this is my opinion and you don't have to agree with it but since this is a forum for expressing your opinions on the team there you go.

You would have to have a lot of free time to fake 5000 posts.  Anyone should be able to speak freely on a fan message board this is America land of the free is it not?

Quote:if anyone is sick of hearing the manning references they should ask eric decker of his thoughts.

I think Decker had GREAT year for the Jets considering his QB.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]