Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should the Colts sign Chiefs OLB Justin Houston to an offer sheet?

When reading the following article,  the thought came to mind that the Colts might be the one team in which signing Chiefs Franchise Player OLB Justin Houston might be a realistic possibility.

Here are the reasons:

1. The Colts have pick # 29 in the 2015, which is a late 1st Round pick.

2. The Colts have a good chance of going to be back in the playoffs in 2016, hence picking from # 21 to # 32.

3. Owner Jim Irsay is know to make bold personnel decisions.

4.  The Colts have a multitude of salary cap space.

5.  The Colts are a 3-4 base team that has a need for a differential pass rusher off the edge.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...fer-sheet/

If you were in the Colts position,  would you sign Justin Houston to an offer sheet?   I would, providing that they are satisfied with Houston from the standpoint of football character.   In other words,  the key decision would be whether one can be confident that Justin Houston will want to continue to be a differential player,  after a mega payday?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yes. Either you lose 2 late 1st round picks and get the best linebacker in the NFL right now, or the Chiefs match your offer and you lose nothing and gain nothing.

As a Jaguars fan, no way in hell should they make this deal.

Quote:Yes. Either you lose 2 late 1st round picks and get the best linebacker in the NFL right now, or the Chiefs match your offer and you lose nothing and gain nothing.

As a Jaguars fan, no way in hell should they make this deal.

There's no question that this is the type of decision that would possibly only make sense for teams picking late in 1st Round this season and expect to be in that spot next year.

If not for the character concerns about Justin Houston when he came out of Georgia,  I wouldn't even hesitate to attempt to sign him to an offer sheet if in the Colts position.

Agreed...as a neutral observer, the Colts should do the deal.

As a Jaguars fan...hell no the Clots should not do the deal.

They should go get somebody out of retirement to play OLB for them.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Agreed...as a neutral observer, the Colts should do the deal.

As a Jaguars fan...hell no the Clots should not do the deal.

They should go get somebody out of retirement to play OLB for them.

One strategy that I can picture the Colts attempting is wait a few weeks,  hoping the Chiefs use plenty of salary cap space.   The Chiefs having a problematic salary cap situation. If the Colts can make an effective offer sheet when the Chiefs are most vulnerable,   they might decide it's too costly to match the offer sheet.   The Colts have enough cap space in which they can be proactive until then.

Does anyone remember the last time a team sent two first round picks to another team to get a franchise tagged player?

Quote:Does anyone remember the last time a team sent two first round picks to another team to get a franchise tagged player?

The last time was 15 years ago.   Joey Galloway signed an offer sheet with the Cowboys that the Seahawks decided not to match.

The Panthers did the same in 98 to get Sean Gilbert.

Quote:Does anyone remember the last time a team sent two first round picks to another team to get a franchise tagged player?

Quote:  The last time was 15 years ago.   Joey Galloway signed an offer sheet with the Cowboys that the Seahawks decided not to match.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote:The Panthers did the same in 98 to get Sean Gilbert.

Sean Gilbert has been in the news in recent days,  weeks,  and months,  as he's making a major attempt to become the head of the NFLPA. 

Regardless of what transpires in the NFLPA election,   there's already been plenty of good news in the Gilbert family,  as his nephew Darrelle Revis signed another lucrative contract.  

Quote:Sean Gilbert has been in the news in recent days,  weeks,  and months,  as he's making a major attempt to become the head of the NFLPA. 

Regardless of what transpires in the NFLPA election,   there's already been plenty of good news in the Gilbert family,  as his nephew Darrelle Revis signed another lucrative contract.  
It seems all Gibert has ever wanted to do is fight NFL ownership.

I remember when he held out for a year, and that triggered his departure from the Rams.

Now he keeps running for the leadership of the NFLPA, and is even kicking around a new collusion case against the league.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

IIRC the Dolphins sent 2 1sts to the Saints for Ricky Williams, considering the saints gave up their entire draft for him it blew up in their face a bit. Ricky Williams did get the NFL rushing crown while in Miami until drug tests temporarily derailed his career. 

If the colts think this can be the piece that puts them over the hump then they should swing for the fences. For Bortles sake I hope they don't lol

Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I hope the colts would do this and hope that Justin calls it a career after doing so :teehee:

But really if you are KC would you really try to match at the amount the colts will more than likely dish out? Just take the 2 first round picks!

I also hope Indy fails to get better but thats me :thumbsup:

Quote:I hope the colts would do this and hope that Justin calls it a career after doing so :teehee:

But really if you are KC would you really try to match at the amount the colts will more than likely dish out? Just take the 2 first round picks!

I also hope Indy fails to get better but thats me
:thumbsup:

I'm sure the vast majority of this board feels the same way.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."