Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best Video Game Bad Guy?

I am of the belief that a good movie, generally speaking has to have a strong bad guy to be a good movie.  Darth Vader was such an awesome bad guy, you could argue he elevated the Star Wars original trilogy.  Hans Gruber from Die Hard put a stamp of excellence in Die Hard.  I would also say Agent Smith from the Matrix trilogy ranks among the best.

As video games have evolved with the technology over the years, the games have grown more sophisticated. From the very rudimentary graphics and game play of the old Atari 2600 to the first Nintendo entertainment systems, that had arcade caliber graphics and game play at home, to the super consoles of today, the graphics are so realistic and there is a much greater emphasis on story telling, such that they hire actual actors-even top tier actors like Kevin Spacey- to tell the story.  To that end, you can argue a strong, compelling bad guy is as important, if not more so, to video games  as they are to movies.

With this in mind, who are some of the best video game bad guys you can ever remember playing against?

For me, Vaas Montenegro (Far Cry 3) qualifies as the best (worst?) video game bad guy.

Other candidates for me include Joker from Batman Arkham Asylum, and Dr. Doom from Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

So, fellow gamers, what video game bad guys fire you up to go against them?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I am of the belief that a good movie, generally speaking has to have a strong bad guy to be a good movie.  Darth Vader was such an awesome bad guy, you could argue he elevated the Star Wars original trilogy.  Hans Gruber from Die Hard put a stamp of excellence in Die Hard.  I would also say Agent Smith from the Matrix trilogy ranks among the best.

As video games have evolved with the technology over the years, the games have grown more sophisticated. From the very rudimentary graphics and game play of the old Atari 2600 to the first Nintendo entertainment systems, that had arcade caliber graphics and game play at home, to the super consoles of today, the graphics are so realistic and there is a much greater emphasis on story telling, such that they hire actual actors-even top tier actors like Kevin Spacey- to tell the story.  To that end, you can argue a strong, compelling bad guy is as important, if not more so, to video games  as they are to movies.

With this in mind, who are some of the best video game bad guys you can ever remember playing against?

For me, Vaas Montenegro (Far Cry 3) qualifies as the best (worst?) video game bad guy.

Other candidates for me include Joker from Batman Arkham Asylum, and Dr. Doom from Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

So, fellow gamers, what video game bad guys fire you up to go against them?

First thing that came to mind was Joker from the Batman Arkham series of games. I think Songbird on Bioshock Infinite was intimidating.

GlaDOS and Wheatley on Portal and Portal 2 were extremely good.

Donkey Kong

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Definitely the Yeti from Ski Free

The deerhunter from Time splitters future perfect stands out but he wasn't really a hard boss.

Officer Tenpenny from San Andreas was a [BLEEP].

Dr.Neo Cortex from Crash bandicoot.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017, 07:11 AM by Caldrac.)

I like Final Fantasy X with Sin / Jecht being the antagonist. It's pretty heartbreaking when you realize what's going on. Especially when you're just a kid. The fact that Tidus, the focal character or primary protagonist lost his father in Spira in year's past to Sin. And the fact that he hated him growing up, blamed him for the loss of his mother. It's pretty devastating when you find out Jecht IS Sin. 

Then you factor in that as Jecht is on his pilgrimage with Braska and Auron and you find these memory spheres of his father before becoming Sin you can see he was sorry for the way he left his son behind. And he couldn't say he loved him. But Auron explains it to him at one point in the game and it kind of rips your heart out a little bit. 

And the fact that Jecht has NO CHOICE but to be Sin and destroy people's lives because of his nature just further kills you inside a little bit. Very good game man. Not the best Final Fantasy by any means but for a game that was first up to bat for them with voice acting it was well scripted. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Handsome Jack. Proved to be one of the best characters in BL2 so much that he got a fully fledge back story game in the Pre-Sequel to show how he turn evil. If you have followed the Borderlands series you def have a love/hate feeling towards him. RIP Bloodwing.

Quote:Officer Tenpenny from San Andreas was a [BAD WORD REMOVED].

Oh... yes.

Any opponent from Metal Gear series are all well done.

The villain in Red Dead Redemption was really upsetting.

And that evil Duck Hunt dog...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Donkey Kong
Going back to the arcade games, I would go with Bluto from Popeye and Mr. Sandman from Punch Out.

Quote:First thing that came to mind was Joker from the Batman Arkham series of games. I think Songbird on Bioshock Infinite was intimidating.

GlaDOS and Wheatley on Portal and Portal 2 were extremely good.
I never played any of the Bioshock or Portal games.

Quote:Definitely the Yeti from Ski Free
Never heard of Ski free.  What system?

Quote:The deerhunter from Time splitters future perfect stands out but he wasn't really a hard boss.

Officer Tenpenny from San Andreas was a [BAD WORD REMOVED].

Dr.Neo Cortex from Crash bandicoot.
Heard of all of these games, but never played them.

Quote:Oh... yes.

Any opponent from Metal Gear series are all well done.

The villain in Red Dead Redemption was really upsetting.

And that evil Duck Hunt dog...
Metal gear is one of those games I always heard great things about, but I never got around to playing....same with Red Dead.

If I had to add some older computer game bad guys, the guy from the old Epyx/C-64 Impossible Mission, and Rip Burger from Full Throttle.

While he isn't in The Last of us long enough to qualify, IMO, the guy you meet after the hunt makes my skin crawl.

Can't go wrong with Sephiroth (FFVII)

Ganon in Ocarina of Time was my first "major villain" of my gaming career. His destruction of Hyrule was pretty intense as a kid. I was super nervous the first time I went into that fight.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017, 03:31 PM by Bullseye.)

How could I forget your "partner" in L.A. Noire?!?

That was the first time in life I booed the ending of a video game.

I'm mad just thinking about that [BAD WORD REMOVED]!

Maybe not a bad guy in the most technical sense, but infuriating enough to warrant a special mention here.

Quote:I never played any of the Bioshock or Portal games.

Three all time great games.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal'>http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal-2'>http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal-2</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite'>http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite</a>

I'm going to take you all way back. the best bad guy is the skelton guy from the game Kaboom.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Quote:Never heard of Ski free.  What system?
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

How can anyone not know that dude?!

Quote:Heard of all of these games, but never played them.

Never played San Andreas bullseye?

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017, 10:51 PM by empty.)

Quote:[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

How can anyone not know that dude?!

I remember him.  Man that's been a long time.