Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Terry Bradshaw's take on Blake Bortles

The following is part of a larger overall article:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/201...iver_index

Jacksonville's Blake Bortles: "You've got to put people around him and you've got to coach him up. Once you do that, you can make a determination whether or not he's there. He's done too many good things to say, 'Well, we've got to go find a quarterback.' OK, go find him. Where is he? Everybody coming out of college now is zone-read, all these kids. Very few pocket quarterbacks anymore. You're gonna find him in North Dakota State, McNeese State, you're gonna find him somewhere else. But they're not in the major programs anymore. Bortles, you gotta take care of these kids so they don't get screwed up where every offseason you got to send them to a psychology class to get straightened out. They're sensitive, these guys. They get beat up and it messes them up, and they press. I like Bortles. I like Bortles. They just gotta help him. They gotta help him a lot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I mean he has help in terms of offensive weapons. We had a decent O-Line this year. The running game was bad. He still throws crazy INTs. He needs help in terms of coaching, not players around him. He needs to fix his mechanics and become a natural more accurate thrower. 

Quote:The following is part of a larger overall article:

Jacksonville's Blake Bortles: "You've got to put people around him and you've got to coach him up. Once you do that, you can make a determination whether or not he's there. He's done too many good things to say, 'Well, we've got to go find a quarterback.' OK, go find him. Where is he? Everybody coming out of college now is zone-read, all these kids. Very few pocket quarterbacks anymore. You're gonna find him in North Dakota State, McNeese State, you're gonna find him somewhere else. But they're not in the major programs anymore. Bortles, you gotta take care of these kids so they don't get screwed up where every offseason you got to send them to a psychology class to get straightened out. They're sensitive, these guys. They get beat up and it messes them up, and they press. I like Bortles. I like Bortles. They just gotta help him. They gotta help him a lot."

This. Qb play is not good in the NFL right now and this is a huge reason why. I think we are on the verge of seeing another shift in the way QBs are evaluated or even how they are used in college. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I mean he has help in terms of offensive weapons. We had a decent O-Line this year. The running game was bad. He still throws crazy INTs. He needs help in terms of coaching, not players around him. He needs to fix his mechanics and become a natural more accurate thrower. 

I think it's fair to say that this off-season and summer are the most critical time frames of Blake Bortles' NFL playing career. 

Quote:This. Qb play is not good in the NFL right now and this is a huge reason why. I think we are on the verge of seeing another shift in the way QBs are evaluated or even how they are used in college. 

My impression is at present,  the QB position is the most difficult position for NFL personnel people to evaluate.  By far.   It's not surprising that there are so many QB busts in the 1st Round of NFL drafts.

I agree with Bradshaw here, you cant just dump the QB so fast, its hard to find another one, like he said Bortles has done good things, lets see if last year was just a down year or is he just never gonna improve. Bortles def deserve more chances then guys like Gabbert got, you knew they just wasnt very good at all.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Cool.

I love Blake's character.  I don't love his decision making and mechanics.  He's had 3 seasons now to correct these issues and develop.  And, unfortunately, these issues continue to be question marks for him.  Further concerning for me, when the line gave him more time and allowed only 34 sacks this season, Blake's numbers were an unimpressive 58% completion rate and 78 rating (not better).  I hope Blake is the answer, but the arrow is not pointing in a favorable position for me.     

Quote:I love Blake's character. I don't love his decision making and mechanics. He's had 3 seasons now to correct these issues and develop. And, unfortunately, these issues continue to be question marks for him. Further concerning for me, when the line gave him more time and allowed only 34 sacks this season, Blake's numbers were an unimpressive 58% completion rate and 78 rating (not better). I hope Blake is the answer, but the arrow is not pointing in a favorable position for me.

And his coach told him not to work on his mechanics last season which hurt him probably more than we know.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2017, 03:08 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:The following is part of a larger overall article:

What makes this even more relevant is that Terry was granted the same patience.

A historical perspective, since few here were around then (and many of us too young to remember, who were)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rememb...ng-qb-job/

It's just a lot easier to argue for you when the team is 19-4 over the last two seasons despite having pedestrian production.  Bortles has an uphill battle, and that's part of what Terry is saying. Having the help he did, helped Terry while he grew into the position.  Blake certainly doesn't have the talent around him Terry had, which is why Terry is pointing this out.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:And his coach told him not to work on his mechanics last season which hurt him probably more than we know.

Proof I was right that coaching was holding him back. He has a new position coach this year. The coach he had problems with is gone.

[Image: you_win_one_internet_seal_gold_classic_r...285%2C0%5D]

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I do agree with Bradshaw. In the meantime, the Jags should look for another QB to compete.

Quote:  My impression is at present,  the QB position is the most difficult position for NFL personnel people to evaluate.  By far.   It's not surprising that there are so many QB busts in the 1st Round of NFL drafts.
And because of these schemes the LTs (like Joker) are harder to evaluate.

Did they not give up a lot of sacks because the QB was a running QB, etc...

Also... MOST of these kids are not NFL ready when they come out. And most top picks go to bad teams.

Unless you're a "once-in-a-generation" prospect, you likely have an uphill climb right away.

And being a 1st rounder the pressure is there to start those players.

I think a lot of QBs are just ruined by playing too early on bad teams.

Quote:I agree with Bradshaw here, you cant just dump the QB so fast, its hard to find another one, like he said Bortles has done good things, lets see if last year was just a down year or is he just never gonna improve. Bortles def deserve more chances then guys like Gabbert got, you knew they just wasnt very good at all.
If Bortles were cut and picked up by a team that is already a playoff contender with a good coach staff, i.e. Steelers if Big Ben were to actually retire... he'd become a star.

I'd bet my sig (or something else not really worth much lol)

Hell... if Gabbert had went to a better team than the 9ers.... who knows..

If you guys only knew. Maybe you do. 

Trust me. Nothing Terry Bradshaw says should be trusted. 

Don't believe me. You'll see after next season.

I see what these guys are doing. He's a losing QB and nothings going to change that.

Mad Mad World

Bradshaw has a wonderful point. I just think the best GM move a team could make is drafting small school QB's that throw in pro systems in lower rounds in the draft. Every year. Draft one. What happens? You either get a bust or potentially amazing trade bait. Upgrade a 5th round pick to a 1st and some change. 

At best, It could save your franchise once you realize your main guy...isn't the guy. Or your main guy gets ousted by the Injury god at a critical time in the playoffs and you got this stud sitting on a bench chomping at the bit to carve some DB's up. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

There is nothing people won't believe. Nothing Wallbash

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM by jrvegeeta.)

Quote:I agree with Bradshaw here, you cant just dump the QB so fast, its hard to find another one, like he said Bortles has done good things, lets see if last year was just a down year or is he just never gonna improve. Bortles def deserve more chances then guys like Gabbert got, you knew they just wasnt very good at all.
Yet that's exactly what some of this fan base wanted, even going as far as to say that 2015 was "fool's gold" and that this year was the real Bortles - as one poster here put it.

I'll say this up front: Terry Bradshaw, to me, isn't a real HoF'er, but I do agree with him here. You can't blame a player for not fixing his mechanics and what not because the coaching staff is responsible for developing their investment - which may be the reason why Olson interfered with Bortles' decision to train under Tom House. Still, that doesn't change the fact that it was a poor decision by Olson because Bortles, as well as the entire offense, paid the piper for it.

That was all over the place im not sure what im even supposed to take from that