Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Terry Bradshaw's take on Blake Bortles

Quote:Yeah, but should we actually count that? It's one of the few games where there actually was garbage time, after all... though if you want to look at the benefits of high stats when the game looks out of reach, there was this game played in Houston not so long ago...

All 60 minutes count, so yes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, but should we actually count that? It's one of the few games where there actually was garbage time, after all... though if you want to look at the benefits of high stats when the game looks out of reach, there was this game played in Houston not so long ago...

Well, a lot of people count stats of his that weren't garbage time in order to indict him as such it isn't too much of a stretch to do the opposite.
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:But what if these "NASA scientists" is more like back when the top scientists thought the earth was flat? Cause that's kinda how this Bradshaw take would compare.

You absolutely have to be kidding me.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Some of the stuff that is being read into these comments is pretty ridiculous.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:But what if these "NASA scientists" is more like back when the top scientists thought the earth was flat? Cause that's kinda how this Bradshaw take would compare.

Bradshaw comes from an era where 50% completions and a 1:1 TD:INT could be the starting QB for a SB dynasty team and be considered a top 10 QB of all time. He looks at Blake and sees a throwback to his era where being an inefficient gunslinger, and a tough one at that, was the ideal prototype. That's obviously not the case now 40 years later. 

In 1978 the following QBs had completion rates of 51% or better and a positive TD:INT ratio:

Archie Manning - 61.8% comp

Dan Fouts - 58.8%

Gary Danielson - 56.7%

Bradshaw  - 56.2%

Roger Staubach - 55.9%

Brian Sipe 55.6%

Craig Morton - 54.7%

Joe Ferguson - 53%

Your point about interceptions isn't terribly far off base - there were lots of guys with 1:1 or worse ratios back then -  but your exaggeration about comp percentage is off the mark by quite some distance.

Quote:In 1978 the following QBs had completion rates of 51% or better and a positive TD:INT ratio:

Dan Fouts - 58.8%

Gary Danielson - 56.7%

Bradshaw - 56.2%

Roger Staubach - 55.9%

Brian Sipe 55.6%

Craig Morton - 54.7%

Joe Ferguson - 53%

Your point about interceptions isn't terribly far off base - there were lots of guys with 1:1 or worse ratios back then - but your exaggeration about comp percentage is off the mark by quite some distance.

And just because that's the era he played in, likely means nothing towards his opinion on current players. It's his job to watch football and critique it. He's up to date on the modern NFL.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:In 1978 the following QBs had completion rates of 51% or better and a positive TD:INT ratio:

Dan Fouts - 58.8%

Gary Danielson - 56.7%

Bradshaw  - 56.2%

Roger Staubach - 55.9%

Brian Sipe 55.6%

Craig Morton - 54.7%

Joe Ferguson - 53%

Your point about interceptions isn't terribly far off base - there were lots of guys with 1:1 or worse ratios back then -  but your exaggeration about comp percentage is off the mark by quite some distance.
Why are you cherry picking one random year? Bradshaw's career completion % is 51.9% with 212 TD and 210 INT. I don't think that's an exaggeration. 

Oh I see, 1978 is the year of Archie's highest comp % and Bradshaw's 2nd highest to try to make the exaggeration sound worse than it was. Archie's career is 55.2% completions and 125:173 TD:INT.

I am going to say my point stands, pretty strongly. 

Quote:Why are you cherry picking one random year? Bradshaw's career completion % is 51.9% with 212 TD and 210 INT. I don't think that's an exaggeration. 

Oh I see, 1978 is the year of Archie's highest comp % and Bradshaw's 2nd highest to try to make the exaggeration sound worse than it was. Archie's career is 55.2% completions and 125:173 TD:INT.

Good grief.  How in the hell 'your point stands' is beyond me.  How in the hell does the comment that Bradshaw made even remotely involve completion percentage or even Bradshaw himself?  You people...alot of you...are really reaching.

Quote:Why are you cherry picking one random year? Bradshaw's career completion % is 51.9% with 212 TD and 210 INT. I don't think that's an exaggeration. 

Nah. Your point is fair to weak and your numbers are way off. 

(I randomly picked the year as I though it was smack in the middle of the "era" you were referencing.) 

Here's career numbers if you like that better.

Staubach career comp % - 57%

Griese 56.2%

Tarkenton - 57%

Fouts 58.8%

Sipe 56.5%

Danielson 57.8%

Jaworski 53.8%

ALL of these guys had career comp percentages well above 50%  AND positive TD/INT ratios. 

There are at least a dozen more QBs  with +50% career comp numbers from Bradshaw's period but negative TD/INT ratios. 

So - like I said - your exaggeration about comp % is way off. 

Your point is utter nonsense and I'm not even sure how it got in this thread that's in the jaguars forum.

I thought you solemnly vowed to stay out of this section but it's probably hard for your bortles bashing agenda to get legs elsewhere.

I mean, I understand you don't have much integrity and will go back on your word and post here, but at least try to make points that aren't total garbage.

Quote:Good grief. How in the hell 'your point stands' is beyond me. How in the hell does the comment that Bradshaw made even remotely involve completion percentage or even Bradshaw himself? You people...alot of you...are really reaching.

The NFL should fire every single scout and all analysts should be fired as well.

Their replacements should only be guys who have played well above the league average and it has to have been within 5 years.

Clearly that's the only way any of these guys can have a decent opinion on current players...

Quote:  How in the hell does the comment that Bradshaw made even remotely involve completion percentage or even Bradshaw himself?  
Just for the sake of steering back to Bradshaw's sensible take on Bortles - I'm gonna' leave this here:

"You've got to put people around him and you've got to coach him up. Once you do that, you can make a determination whether or not he's there...

I like Bortles. They just gotta help him. They gotta help him a lot."

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017, 11:13 AM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Good grief.  How in the hell 'your point stands' is beyond me.  How in the hell does the comment that Bradshaw made even remotely involve completion percentage or even Bradshaw himself?  You people...alot of you...are really reaching.
The point is that Bradshaw played in an era where completion percentages and interceptions weren't so important, and Bradshaw sees Blake's game as a throwback to his era...and that's what he likes about him. 

Quote:The point is that Bradshaw played in an era where completion percentages and interceptions weren't important, and Bradshaw sees Blake's game as a throwback to his era...and that's what he likes about him. 
They were important in that era. And the top QBs had good numbers in both categories.  The standard was different, but to say they weren't important is blatantly false. 

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017, 11:15 AM by RicoTx.)

Quote:The point is that Bradshaw played in an era where completion percentages and interceptions weren't so important, and Bradshaw sees Blake's game as a throwback to his era...and that's what he likes about him. 

For someone that tries to come off as smart, that's pretty dumb.  Read the quote and tell me exactly how you derive this keen observation from that quote.  Then again, who knows, maybe you're a mind reader.

What a self-important putz.

Quote:For someone that tries to come off as smart, that's pretty dumb. Read the quote and tell me exactly how you derive this keen observation from that quote. Then again, who knows, maybe you're a mind reader.

What a self-important putz.

I'd love to see a quote of Bradshaw saying that he sees bortles game as a throwback to his era.

Something doesnt have to be explicitly stated to be inferred.

Either way theres pretty much no reason to think Bradshaws opinion holds any more weight than anyone else. Talent evaluation isnt a skill inherent to players, the many insufferable the analysts and failed player turned front office people across all sports are proof of that.

Quote:Something doesnt have to be explicitly stated to be inferred.

Either way theres pretty much no reason to think Bradshaws opinion holds any more weight than anyone else. Talent evaluation isnt a skill inherent to players, the many insufferable the analysts and failed player turned front office people across all sports are proof of that.

Do you also hold it for KY when he pees?

Let's all remember that Bradshaw said Mike McCarthy was more important to the Packers than Aaron Rodgers.

Quote:Let's all remember that Bradshaw said Mike McCarthy was more important to the Packers than Aaron Rodgers.
Bradshaw has said LOTS of really stupid thing over the years.  No doubt.

However - do you find any of his comments on Blake Bortles to be of the same ilk as his McCarthy or Tomlin comments?