Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Terry Bradshaw's take on Blake Bortles

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017, 10:20 AM by Yo Boy.)

Quote:How do you know you wasn't training or just sitting on Jax Beach at the beach bars all the time? In today's society no one has a video tape of him doing that and in your case you might want to be gullible and believe all the rumors that you hear from others who don't have a life. The man tried everything to be great and it just unfortunately this year himself and others around him failed in that department.

I don't know .. It's a vague assumption based on stories and how he played.. But the question also is how do you know?? How do you know he wasn't getting wasted?? Not putting the extra effort in, it takes to become a good qb??

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't know .. It's a vague assumption based on stories and how he played.. But the question also is how do you know?? How do you know he wasn't getting wasted?? Not putting the extra effort in, it takes to become a good qb??

Based on the reports that we got from the media he was constantly working out with his wide receivers at Episcopal High School.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Based on the reports that we got from the media he was constantly working out with his wide receivers at Episcopal High School.

Also based on multiple reports he was out getting wasted at the beach bars..

Quote:How is QB play in the NFL not good today? By what measure? Passing stats? The number of future HoF'ers?
I think he means after the top...  the drop off is quite noticeable.

Brady, Rogers, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees.... elite level...

flacco, cam, luck, lil manning... on the verge

everyone else can definitely be improved upon.

Plus the bottom dwelling 8 or 10 teams have mediocre to poor QB play.

Quote:Proof I was right that coaching was holding him back. He has a new position coach this year. The coach he had problems with is gone.
uh, no... this doesn't 'prove' anything one way or the other. 

I don't think anyone would disagree that Bortles has some 'upside'... the problem is his downside; he has himself said that he isn't a 'natural passer'. He is always going to have to struggle to be a decent ball thrower. Perhaps this is a skill that can be learned; but why in the heck is someone at the professional level having to 'learn' what is probably the most fundamental skill for a quarterback?

answer: given his 'pros and cons' he was over-drafted.

Now saying he was over-drafted isn't the same thing as saying he is a total bust. I think that with lots of work on his part and good coaching he can do a good job. The issue is that he was drafted as our 'franchise quarterback'... not as a developmental acquisition. The 'franchise quarterback' tag implies a certain confidence that he has the 'right stuff' to do the job. Blake has proven and even said that he isn't a natural passer. Sure he has on occasion made some great passes; but as the old saying goes, even a broke clock is right at least twice a day.

Nevertheless, it appears at present that we're going to continue to go with Bortles. I hope he is successful, but it is painfully obvious now that it's going to be an uphill battle for him all the way to be a consistently good quarterback. We need a consistently good QB if we're ever going to be play-off worthy. If we can learn anything from the patriots program, this has to be it.

Quote:  My impression is at present,  the QB position is the most difficult position for NFL personnel people to evaluate.  By far.   It's not surprising that there are so many QB busts in the 1st Round of NFL drafts.

Something that I think that adds to the issue of evaluation is that it's very tough to find a good QB coaching environment. So while you may evaluate a player's talent and potential correctly, if you cannot provide that player with an environment suitable for his development then it may seem as if your evaluation was incorrect. 

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I mean he has help in terms of offensive weapons. We had a decent O-Line this year. The running game was bad. He still throws crazy INTs. He needs help in terms of coaching, not players around him. He needs to fix his mechanics and become a natural more accurate thrower. 

I think he would benefit from a better running game to minimize the 2nd and longs, 3rd and longs. 

Quote:I don't think anyone would disagree that Bortles has some 'upside'... the problem is his downside; he has himself said that he isn't a 'natural passer'. He is always going to have to struggle to be a decent ball thrower. Perhaps this is a skill that can be learned; but why in the heck is someone at the professional level having to 'learn' what is probably the most fundamental skill for a quarterback?

Now saying he was over-drafted isn't the same thing as saying he is a total bust. I think that with lots of work on his part and good coaching he can do a good job. The issue is that he was drafted as our 'franchise quarterback'... not as a developmental acquisition. The 'franchise quarterback' tag implies a certain confidence that he has the 'right stuff' to do the job. Blake has proven and even said that he isn't a natural passer. Sure he has on occasion made some great passes; but as the old saying goes, even a broke clock is right at least twice a day.

Nevertheless, it appears at present that we're going to continue to go with Bortles. I hope he is successful, but it is painfully obvious now that it's going to be an uphill battle for him all the way to be a consistently good quarterback. We need a consistently good QB if we're ever going to be play-off worthy. If we can learn anything from the patriots program, this has to be it.

A reminder that the Patriots QB was a developmental selection.

Blake was selected very high and understandably over-drafted, which is true of most QBs drafted to be a franchise QB.  But he was drafted to be the franchise QB knowing he would take development.  It's not a mutually exclusive situation.

I think we're all well aware that he's needed to grow.  He's a left hander throwing right, started his high school career at defensive back, and is the typical "athlete" who is still learning QB.

I do believe he needs veteran competition.  I do believe it would be wise to continue to look at developmental QBs in the draft.  I do believe it's a critical year for Blake before we decide to continue or move on.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I don't think anyone would disagree that Bortles has some 'upside'... the problem is his downside; he has himself said that he isn't a 'natural passer'. He is always going to have to struggle to be a decent ball thrower. Perhaps this is a skill that can be learned; but why in the heck is someone at the professional level having to 'learn' what is probably the most fundamental skill for a quarterback?

Having made the statement that imho Bortles was over-drafted, I have to also say that given that our GM also selected Gus as a coach has seriously shaken my confidence in Dave as our GM. I'm glad we have TC here now to oversee things to (hopefully) present another barrier to prevent such bad selections. We'll see how it works out.

Quote:Also based on multiple reports he was out getting wasted at the beach bars..

Please share some of these credible reports.

Quote:A reminder that the Patriots QB was a developmental selection.

Blake was selected very high and understandably over-drafted, which is true of most QBs drafted to be a franchise QB.  But he was drafted to be the franchise QB knowing he would take development.  It's not a mutually exclusive situation.

I think we're all well aware that he's needed to grow.  He's a left hander throwing right, started his high school career at defensive back, and is the typical "athlete" who is still learning QB.

I do believe he needs veteran competition.  I do believe it would be wise to continue to look at developmental QBs in the draft.  I do believe it's a critical year for Blake before we decide to continue or move on.
It's true, he was a developmental selection... the difference is that he got a chance to develop more so than Bortles did. He also wasn't tagged as the franchise quarterback on selection. 'Franchise quarterback' and 'developmental acquisition' should be mutually exclusive terms... unless you are prepared to suffer through a lot of disappointing seasons. That was not what the team owner said he wanted here. Lets also not forget that even in Bortles 'hot' season we only went 5-11.

Quote:The number of quarterbacks that are above average which is very low

Average by what measure? Average can mean middle of the pack, which by definition, means no matter what year/era, there is the same percentage of below and above average QB's. I don't buy the idea that this is a bad era of QB play. There is nothing quantitative that suggests that. If anything, the stats say the exact opposite, but I won't proclaim that QB's are better today because I recognize it's a different game. But there's nothing that says QB's are worse.

Quote:Terry Bradshaw is a dumb hick 

[Image: 93064B28-4155-4169-94B0-B3092DF9A747-600x450.jpg]

Quote:I think he means after the top... the drop off is quite noticeable.

Brady, Rogers, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees.... elite level...

flacco, cam, luck, lil manning... on the verge

everyone else can definitely be improved upon.

Plus the bottom dwelling 8 or 10 teams have mediocre to poor QB play.

Ryan, Dalton, Carr, Smith, Cousin, Prescott, Stafford

Quote:Ryan, Dalton, Carr, Smith, Cousin, Prescott, Stafford

That's still only half the league at most.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Coughlin has always been a "jar on the shelf" guy when it comes to QBs.  He went and got Brunell in case Beuerlein didn't work out.  He drafted Rob Johnson when we didn't really need him, but the value was there.  He drafted Garrard as a jar on the shelf.  And wasn't there a big redheaded guy he drafted that started a game or two? 

Look for TC to add a QB in the draft.  Most young QBs guys need a year or two in the pros before they are ready to lead a team. 

Quote:And wasn't there a big redheaded guy he drafted that started a game or two?

Jonathan Quinn?

Quote:Jonathan Quinn?
winner, winner, chicken dinner

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:That is actually debatable.
Lol