Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Terry Bradshaw's take on Blake Bortles

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017, 06:43 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:I haven't yet seen the "it " with Bortles. The "it " is feeling confident that late in the fourth quarter, down by 4, he'll lead you down for a score. The "it " is also playing out the final 4 minutes of the fourth quarter with the lead, not depending on the defense to hold onto it.

Hopefully, we'll see it this year.

Blake Bortles is best when playing from behind. Other players are not helping him in the fourth quarter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: :no:  no you didn't
Go look at the games last year instead of being a childish troll. He did it against miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Titans in 2015. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Go look at the games last year instead of being a childish troll. He did it against Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Titans in 2015. 

And even in the losses that year, Blake Bortles played well more often than not.

Bortles played great in the GB game tbh too

Quote:Bortles played great in the GB game tbh too

And many other games we lost.

Quote:Not just Bradshaw, but everybody... Same Excuses they gave Gabbert..

Quote:No one gave Blaine Gabbert an excuse in fact, during his rookie year we wanted to run him out of town.

Not on our board, but I have heard the media trying to say Gabbert was thrown in too early, etc. The thing is, he was so bad, those excuses had nothing to with it.

With Bortles the excuses are of a different variety and carry more weight as something was clearly wrong with him this past season. We know he's capable of being so much better.

'02

Quote:I haven't yet seen the "it " with Bortles. The "it " is feeling confident that late in the fourth quarter, down by 4, he'll lead you down for a score. The "it " is also playing out the final 4 minutes of the fourth quarter with the lead, not depending on the defense to hold onto it.

Hopefully, we'll see it this year.

Playing with a lead is about the whole team, but you're right that a good qb will give you confidence late he can come back. That said, I totally felt this way about Blake in 2015. Also, I've long felt that "it" was more the ability to sense pressure in the pocket and buy time along with being able to make plays when things break down. I saw this much from Blake rather consistently going back to his first few starts as a rookie.

'02

Quote:Not on our board, but I have heard the media trying to say Gabbert was thrown in too early, etc. The thing is, he was so bad, those excuses had nothing to with it.

With Bortles the excuses are of a different variety and carry more weight as something was clearly wrong with him this past season. We know he's capable of being so much better.

Both quarterbacks were supposed to start their careers as bench warmers, so they do have the same excuse. However, Blaine Gabbert had two others: the players lockout and lack of surrounding talent. He never had a chance to be good in Jacksonville. He also was drafted at a time when we were built to run all day, which made him a misfit. Blake Bortles on the other paw simply regressed, as opposed to never being good in the first place.

Quote:Both quarterbacks were supposed to start their careers as bench warmers, so they do have the same excuse. However, Blaine Gabbert had two others: the players lockout and lack of surrounding talent. He never had a chance to be good in Jacksonville. He also was drafted at a time when we were built to run all day, which made him a misfit. Blake Bortles on the other paw simply regressed, as opposed to never being good in the first place.

I realize Gabbert was thrown into the worst possible situation, but the thing is, he's so bad that even if he was thrown into the best possible situation he would have stunk up the field. He's just a horrible qb.

Blake was horrible last year, but his 2016 season was nothing short of spectacular. He has the talent to take this team all the way even though Gabbert has a quicker release and throws a better spiral and fade pass.

With all of that said, we have to pay Blake something like $18 mil this offseason for his option, and that's a tough call to make. You see, I'm convinced that with the right supporting case and scheme, Bortles has the talent to take this team to the big dance, however, he also has a very serious issue regarding his arm. In two of three seasons, his arm fatigued on him nearly going limp at times preventing him from throwing downfield. Now it's my hope that this is manageable by keeping his attempts in check, but at the same time it presents a very significant risk. What if his arm keeps going out on him?

'02

Quote:I realize Gabbert was thrown into the worst possible situation, but the thing is, he's so bad that even if he was thrown into the best possible situation he would have stunk up the field. He's just a horrible qb.

Blake was horrible last year, but his 2016 season was nothing short of spectacular. He has the talent to take this team all the way even though Gabbert has a quicker release and throws a better spiral and fade pass.

With all of that said, we have to pay Blake something like $18 mil this offseason for his option, and that's a tough call to make. You see, I'm convinced that with the right supporting cast and scheme, Bortles has the talent to take this team to the big dance, however, he also has a very serious issue regarding his arm. In two of three seasons, his arm fatigued on him nearly going limp at times preventing him from throwing downfield. Now it's my hope that this is manageable by keeping his attempts in check, but at the same time it presents a very significant risk. What if his arm keeps going out on him?

The obvious solution to his arm fatigue is fix our running game. More runs = fewer passes. Unfortunately for Blake Bortles, we have not been able to run the football very well throughout his career.

I don't know where you got $18 million from, but Blake has one more year on his rookie contract before the fifth year option applies. The team's commitment to Bortles convinces me he will get paid.

Quote:The obvious solution to his arm fatigue is fix our running game. More runs = fewer passes. Unfortunately for Blake Bortles, we have not been able to run the football very well throughout his career.

I don't know where you got $18 million from, but Blake has one more year on his rookie contract before the fifth year option applies. The team's commitment to Bortles convinces me he will get paid.

I recall reading they have to decide this year on whether or not they'll use the option.

I'm as well convinced he'll get paid and the team will plan ways to keep his arm healthy for the long haul, but that doesn't make the decision any less risky. That is to say, even with monitored reps and a potent run game, his arm could still go out on him by the time the Playoffs roll around.

'02

Quote:With all of that said, we have to pay Blake something like $18 mil this offseason for his option, and that's a tough call to make. You see, I'm convinced that with the right supporting case and scheme, Bortles has the talent to take this team to the big dance, however, he also has a very serious issue regarding his arm. In two of three seasons, his arm fatigued on him nearly going limp at times preventing him from throwing downfield. Now it's my hope that this is manageable by keeping his attempts in check, but at the same time it presents a very significant risk. What if his arm keeps going out on him?

I don't see another person anywhere dwelling on this supposed 'tired arm'.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Bortles 30 for 30.. Coulda been a HOFer but his arm got too tired each year.

Quote:... his arm could still go out on him by the time the Playoffs roll around.

This whole "tired arm" thing is simply a direct result of his poor mechanics. 

When you don't set your feet and turn your hips to your target you are robbing your throw of no small amount of velocity and accuracy. 

This results in overcompensating with your arm to get the throw to it's target on time. Naturally it will lead to premature fatigue. 

Fix the mechanics and this fatigue factor goes away. 

Quote:This whole "tired arm" thing is simply a direct result of his poor mechanics. 

When you don't set your feet and turn your hips to your target you are robbing your throw of no small amount of velocity and accuracy. 

This results in overcompensating with your arm to get the throw to it's target on time. Naturally it will lead to premature fatigue. 

Fix the mechanics and this fatigue factor goes away. 

Agreed, Bortles big wind-up also takes a toll and is probably responsible for his wrist injury as well.  When you're pulling the ball up from you're waist as opposed to to keeping your arm at chest level or higher, you're disrupting timing of your feet/drops as well.

Quote:Bortles 30 for 30.. Coulda been a HOFer but his arm got too tired each year.

And don't forget he was also held back by the worst non-owner HC in the modern football era. At least now all that's left is his "tired" arm to get rid of.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

https://twitter.com/tdg2296/status/828265939036696576

I think he's ready to shock the world.

Quote:https://twitter.com/tdg2296/status/828265939036696576

I think he's ready to shock the world.

She must be standing on a stool if Blake is 6'5, no way she's that tall.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Could somebody show me an article that talks about his 'tired arm' somewhere other than his rookie year?

I honestly have not seen anything other than one mention from his rookie year which he said was blown out of proportion.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Could somebody show me an article that talks about his 'tired arm' somewhere other than his rookie year?

I honestly have not seen anything other than one mention from his rookie year which he said was blown out of proportion.
It gets brought up by someone every offseason it seems.

DC, Bortles....

it's a passive excuse imo at the point.