Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lord Byron Jones

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 08:29 AM by KYjaggy.)

To me, Byron Jones was the clear winner of the combine. Not just because of the spectacular numbers he put up, but just from the awareness he received as so many of us went from "who the heck is he?" to "How high can my team take him?"

There is very little video of him (just one DB cutup as of now), so I will just copy/paste a string of tweets from the draftnik that seems to know him best since I don't want to personally comment on someone I don't have a good feel on but needs to be known. 

Ethan's tweet about the idea of Jones being converted to play single high safety is the most intriguing part of Byron's package. Decent size with phenomenal attributes and great ball skills from being a WR for most of his career? Sounds like the #1 guy I want in the third round now if he is still available.

Here is an interview Ethan had with him while at UCONN: http://www.theuconnblog.com/2014/9/27/68...systems-go

Here is another interview with another respected draftnik Dan Kadar: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/23/80...jump-uconn

Here is his ridiculous spider chart: http://mockdraftable.com/player/4977/position/22/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 08:24 AM by KYjaggy.)

<div>Ethan Hammerman @Ethanhamm · Feb 23
</div>

I've watched every game of Byron Jones' career and had a Day 2 grade on him if that means anything.

<div>
<div> 
Ethan Hammerman @Ethanhamm · Feb 23
</div>

Byron Jones is a monster. Former WR who converted to CB and has elite ball skills. Injured at end of year but the upside is very clear.

<div>
<div> 
</div>

He needs work on his footwork in and out of breaks, but Byron has Richard Sherman-type ball skills.

<div>
<div> 
</div>

I'm so happy for Byron. He's a really intelligent, nice guy who has the potential to be a top-notch player.

<div>
<div> 
</div>

I think he CAN play press but I'd prefer him out of press. Heck, I think he'd be fun as a single-high safety a la McCourty.

<div>
<div> 
</div>

The thing people don't realize about Byron Jones yet is how amazing his hands are. He's a converted WR with REALLY good hands.

<div>
<div> 
</div>

Clear 3rd round option now. RT @jerrytheazzman: @Ethanhamm What round do you think he gets nabbed given his Combine?

</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

Who the hell is Ethan hammerman?

Would've loved to see a write up where he states all of this before his incredible combine.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Who the hell is Ethan hammerman?

Would've loved to see a write up where he states all of this before his incredible combine.
He is a well respected draftnik. Followed by Tony Khan, Mr. Naqi, BCC, Eric Stoner, and many other Jags related people. Also followed by many of the PFF guys, Greg Cosell, Matt Waldman, Matt Miller, Josh Norris, Shane Hallam, Ben Allbright, and even several of the DFS pros that I compete with and against. Basically a who's who of guys that will vouch for his credibility. 

The name Lord Byron just made me puke a little...
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Can he tackle?

Why did he switch from offense to defense?

If his hands are that good, why isn't he still playing WR?

Quote:If his hands are that good, why isn't he still playing WR?

That's what I was thinking. The fact that he switched from WR to CB tells me his hands are just good enough for one catch per game.

Quote:If his hands are that good, why isn't he still playing WR?
I dunno, maybe it was more important to replace Gratz and Wreh-Wilson with some dynamic potential after they both got drafted two years ago? Position changes in college are extremely common I am not fretting that at all. 

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 09:27 PM by roycee.)

Just a quick Google. He played WR and DB in HS (as most WR or DBs do in HS), then played DB his entire UConn career.

I believe that Byron Jones played FS prior to becoming a CB after Gratz was drafted by the Jags. Jones played FS his Freshman and Sophomore years and CB his Junior and Senior years.

Ok thanks for finding that out.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 09:50 PM by UConnUCFjags.)

I mentioned him in the "Gus type players" thread. He was a better corner than Gratz at UConn for sure.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 10:01 PM by Stigma.)

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network is pegging Byron Jones as a late Rd 1 pick in his latest mock draft (3.0).

Coincidently at Pick 20 (Eagles) who are in need of CBs.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 10:42 PM by SuperJville.)

I always wonder, though - why was he not mentioned by ANYONE as a late 1st round pick before the combine?

Maybe all the athleticism in the world in shorts did not translate to the field?

Just don't get it..

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I would take him with a 2nd round trade back. 1st round its Fowler or Williams. 2nd round trade back and grab Byron Jones CB. 3rd round get Lorenzo Mauldin to play OTTO, with 2 4th rounders get OL and RB or TE.

Quote:I would take him with a 2nd round trade back. 1st round its Fowler or Williams. 2nd round trade back and grab Byron Jones CB. 3rd round get Lorenzo Mauldin to play OTTO, with 2 4th rounders get OL and RB or TE.

If you want the Jaguars to pick a tight end, why don't you want Maxx Williams or Clive Walford at #36?

Quote:If you want the Jaguars to pick a tight end, why don't you want Maxx Williams or Clive Walford at #36?

Max Williams will be gone by the time we pick and Walford isn't worthy of the 36th pick. Walford to me seems more of  3rd rounder. Byron Jones on the other hand would give us a legitimate Richard Sherman type of player. 2 long CB in McCray and Jones with Colvin in slot would be crazy shutdown. 

Quote:Max Williams will be gone by the time we pick and Walford isn't worthy of the 36th pick. Walford to me seems more of  3rd rounder. Byron Jones on the other hand would give us a legitimate Richard Sherman type of player. 2 long CB in McCray and Jones with Colvin in slot would be crazy shutdown. 

If Clive Walford drops to the third round we can get him at #67, but a good workout at Miami's Pro Day can help him get picked in the second round.

Actually Byron Jones is not a Richard Sherman type player. Unlike Sherman, he is a former free safety and was only a cornerback for one season in college. So I would want him as a free safety and nickelback, not a full-time cornerback.