Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lord Byron Jones

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2015, 06:58 AM by UConnUCFjags.)

Quote:If Clive Walford drops to the third round we can get him at #67, but a good workout at Miami's Pro Day can help him get picked in the second round.

Actually Byron Jones is not a Richard Sherman type player. Unlike Sherman, he is a former free safety and was only a cornerback for one season in college. So I would want him as a free safety and nickelback, not a full-time cornerback.
No way. He wasn't very good at safety. Played much better at corner. And he played corner for 2 years, not 1.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Willie Creear CB of Eastern Michigan had a 47 inch vert...which is great but he's pretty bad on the field

I will defer to what UConnUCFjags had to say about Byron Jones safety play, but Curt Popejoy, a columnist for Bleacher Report had this to say about Jones,

"Jones doesn't always show the explosion on the field that his long jump would indicate so a move to Free Safety might be a better way to maximize his skills."

Quote:I will defer to what UConnUCFjags had to say about Byron Jones safety play, but Curt Popejoy, a columnist for Bleacher Report had this to say about Jones,

"Jones doesn't always show the explosion on the field that his long jump would indicate so a move to Free Safety might be a better way to maximize his skills."

You could possibly chalk up his play at safety to inexperience. He played less physical and took bad angles on tackles. Looked more natural at corner.

Quote:You could possibly chalk up his play at safety to inexperience. He played less physical and took bad angles on tackles. Looked more natural at corner.

If inexperience was the main issue, why not draft him to play both positions and see which one he is better at?

We just cut Will Blackmon, so there is a hole at backup cornerback ATM.

Quote:You could possibly chalk up his play at safety to inexperience. He played less physical and took bad angles on tackles. Looked more natural at corner.
Yeah, big inexperience argument to be made seeing not only was he a Freshman and Sophomore then, but he was also in his first and second years of not playing the position he WR position he was used to.

Really hard to compare his performance under those conditions to playing as a corner being an upperclassman with 2 years of experience on defense/secondary.

Quote:Yeah, big inexperience argument to be made seeing not only was he a Freshman and Sophomore then, but he was also in his first and second years of not playing the position he WR position he was used to.

Really hard to compare his performance under those conditions to playing as a corner being an upperclassman with 2 years of experience on defense/secondary.

If he played both offense and defense in high school and simply dropped the wide receiver job in college, it is not that difficult. But I could never be a scout.

Chris Gamble was a wide receiver in high school and his freshman year at Ohio State. During his sophomore season, he played both wide receiver and cornerback. As a junior, he played exclusively at cornerback. His "Gamble" paid off: Carolina drafted him as a cornerback and he never looked back. Could Byron Jones have similar success as a guy who switched from wide receiver to defensive back?

bless me lord byron by dropping to the beginning of the 3rd round

Quote:Yeah, big inexperience argument to be made seeing not only was he a Freshman and Sophomore then, but he was also in his first and second years of not playing the position he WR position he was used to.

Truth, but I'd still rather put the tall, rangy athlete with an insane vertical on the outside to play man against big receivers.

Quote:Truth, but I'd still rather put the tall, rangy athlete with an insane vertical on the outside to play man against big receivers.

Uh, don't we play zone against big receivers?

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2015, 11:17 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Truth, but I'd still rather put the tall, rangy athlete with an insane vertical on the outside to play man against big receivers.
Yeah, I'm not really arguing against him playing corner...we just need that FS upgrade so bad and I think he has the potential to do that well too. I really just want him period, in whatever role.

Quote:Yeah, I'm not really arguing against him playing corner...we just need that FS upgrade so bad and I think he has the potential to do that well too. I really just want him period, in whatever role.

What I normally would do is move him a little bit to see how well he plays at each position, but cornerback is only a need at the backup level now. So what we should do is make him a free safety by default with the provision he can be moved to corner if necessary.

Is anyone else surprised to see Byron Jones on Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock draft? I was thinking second or third round maybe, not Philadelphia's first pick.

Jeremiah's explanation: "Jones put on a show in Indy, but he's much more than a workout warrior. He was a four-year starter at UConn with toughness and smarts. That fits the Chip Kely profile."

Quote:Willie Creear CB of Eastern Michigan had a 47 inch vert...which is great but he's pretty bad on the field

I'm thinking his poor play may be due to the egregious amount of vowels in his name.

Quote:I'm thinking his poor play may be due to the egregious amount of vowels in his name.

Whatever it is i saw him get juked out of his socks by MAC players, so he'll probably go to the CFL or Arena league

I could see Jones playing FS or CB but imo would want him at CB. His best attribute is his jam at the LOS. His weakness seems to be deep comebacks and digs that would require him to backpedal and then suddenly come back to the ball.

Good for a CB who is asked to defend deep from man coverage with the size to tackle once the catch is made underneath but not so good for a single high safety asked to roam from side to side without letting TEs get up the seam.

I want that at the CB position

Quote:I could see Jones playing FS or CB but imo would want him at CB. His best attribute is his jam at the LOS. His weakness seems to be deep comebacks and digs that would require him to backpedal and then suddenly come back to the ball.

Good for a CB who is asked to defend deep from man coverage with the size to tackle once the catch is made underneath but not so good for a single high safety asked to roam from side to side without letting TEs get up the seam.

I want that at the CB position

Since when have we played man coverage on defense?

Quote:Since when have we played man coverage on defense?

what
Shock the world

Quote:What?

We don't play man coverage. Our defensive backs run a zone scheme.

Quote:We don't play man coverage. Our defensive backs run a zone scheme.

No team in the NFL plays exclusively zone or man. We play both.