Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What needs to be addressed on defense?

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 04:33 AM by GlockBortles.)

Everyone likes to to talk about offensive lineman, a tight end, vet receiver, etc. and you wouldnt be wrong with any of those things but there is also much to be done on defense.

Starting up front, we need suitable replacements for Bryant and Clemons. They aren't getting any younger so infusing some youth would be nice.

At LBs, we need an otto

As for secondary, were in dire need of a free safety.

So where do you guys think our needs are? when and how do you think these things will be addressed? keep in mind not all of it has to fit in this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We could use a LB and a corner, but they aren't dire needs at this moment. This team HAS to find a suitable RT and FS going in to 2015. You could say the need for a receiving threat at the TE position is the next most important mission. After that, the priority in my opinion should be getting younger and better on the Dline.

This team is finally in a position where they can head in to a season with no huge, glaring holes. I think they have an opportunity to build a great offensive line in Free Agency and draft some stud defensive players in the defensive front 7 over the next year or 2, now that most of the skill position guys are figured out. Dave just has to continue making good decisions like he has been.

Finding a Free Safety and an OTTO LB are the two biggest needs on defense. Youth on the DL would be a luxury. A MLB of the future would be welcomed.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Priority:

Otto LB

LDE

FS

It's very simple. FS, OLB, LEO, CORNER DEPTH.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Not sure if it was our type of coverage, but there was a consistant large amount of realestate in the center of the field that could be exploited almost any time. No matter who we get we need to close that gap in our defence - perhaps it was safety lay or it could be LBs staying close to the line not dropping into coverage.

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 12:44 PM by muddylips.)

I think that the best thing we can hope to get to help our defense is for our offense to become a legitimate threat on the field. Since back in the JDR days, this team has leaned heavily on the defense in order to win games. We also had awesome defenses here back during the TC days; but during  the TC tenure here, we were also a legitimate offensive threat. That wasn't nearly so true during the JDR years, and it has reflected in our record as the years have gone by.

We all know that every once in a while a defensive juggernaut does come along and against all odds wins the SB. That is the exception however, not the norm. The rules that currently exist in the NFL heavily favor the offense; therefore, it only seems logical to put a good deal more emphasis on the offense here than we have for some time. I'm not suggesting forgetting the defense; but, I am saying that the odds are that our historically heavy emphasis on defense isn't going to lead us to a SB anytime soon, given the structure of the modern game.

Hence, I would say that the best help a defense can get is a good offense... then worry about building an epic defense.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

FS and someone nasty coming up the middle/off the edge like a Dante Fowler.  We were 6th I believe in sacks but most were due to the pocket ultimately collapsing.  We need someone who the QB has to account for on every play and gets him out of his comfort zone on the run.

FS - This position needs a huge upgrade. However, I only see one guy in FA and he isn't getting out of New England. So the draft will have to be where we upgrade, but I'm not in love with anyone in this draft. Basically, I think we are stuck with poor play from this position for another year.

Pass Rusher - Clemons is old. Therefore, upgrading that spot is of the highest priority as the most important position behind QB is the guy that goes after the QB. I like Fowler the best.

LB - other than Telvin I don't care for anyone else and think we need a huge upgrade at the spots next to him. Once again, this will have to be solved in the draft as I don't see anyone worth signing in FA because we'd have to overpay. There are a few depth guys we could add.

FS is the greatest need by a large margin. 

OTTO and LEO are next. 

LB, safety (both free and strong safety)
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 06:04 PM by jagherd.)

Whatever is needed to shore up that run defense. I remember a few game stretch it seemed the opponents just completely ran at will.

Cincy: (J Hill over 150 yds)

Dallas: (Murray, and whoever the other back was, made the Jags look silly)

Texans: (Foster and Blue running at will in Jax)

Giants: (Rashad Jennings looked unstoppable in the first half,, but started fumbling in the 2nd thank goodness)

There were a couple other teams that ran over the Jags too,, IIRC.

Chargers, maybe? I think they ran well in that game.

I know Poz getting injured was a big reason run defense looked bad. I'm not sure what stats say about the yearly run defense,, but my eyes told me the Jags really struggled.

Heck,, I think even the Colts in Jax ran well. Didn't Trent Richardson even have around 50yds and a TD? Trent Richardson, lol.

Free safety and linebackers. Lots of fast linebackers.

Quote:Whatever is needed to shore up that run defense. I remember a few game stretch it seemed the opponents just completely ran at will.

Cincy: (J Hill over 150 yds)

Dallas: (Murray, and whoever the other back was, made the Jags look silly)

Texans: (Foster and Blue running at will in Jax)

Giants: (Rashad Jennings looked unstoppable in the first half,, but started fumbling in the 2nd thank goodness)

There were a couple other teams that ran over the Jags too,, IIRC.

Chargers, maybe? I think they ran well in that game.

I know Poz getting injured was a big reason run defense looked bad. I'm not sure what stats say about the yearly run defense,, but my eyes told me the Jags really struggled.

Heck,, I think even the Colts in Jax ran well. Didn't Trent Richardson even have around 50yds and a TD? Trent Richardson, lol.
Danny Shelton would fix this like quick.

Cornerback- Demetrius McCray showed up in 2014, but we got to tighten up the other side

DUUUUVVVVAAAAALLLLLL!

90+ yard 10+ play TD scoring drives allowed would be a nice start.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

LDE has an aging Red Bryant with no one in the rotation, given Alualu's free agent status.  It does not need a high profile signing or draft pick, but it is definitely a position that needs to be addressed.

Quote:It's very simple. FS, OLB, LEO, CORNER DEPTH.

That pretty much sums it up.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:FS is the greatest need by a large margin. 

OTTO and LEO are next. 
Agreed 100%.

LEO and OTTO both look like they can be found in the first 3 rounds of this draft.

FS on the other hand, I don't think much help is coming from this draft. I think that's going to need to be addressed in FA, since I'm not really a fan of any of the FS in this draft.

Quote:LDE has an aging Red Bryant with no one in the rotation, given Alualu's free agent status.  It does not need a high profile signing or draft pick, but it is definitely a position that needs to be addressed.
 I'd really like Xavier Williams for this spot. He's about the same height and weight. I'd need some more measurements and combine times but purely on eye test i think he could do it.