Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Totally agree with Pete Prisco - Sign Suh draft Fowler

Quote:I'm sorry I think paying Suh to be the top paid defensive player, ever probably, isn't worth getting our own young DL beast in Williams and not paying a dude who is likely going to miss a game or two due to suspensions.

Suh will likely be getting paid in Detroit anyway... 
Why couldn't we sign Suh AND get a DL beast like Williams?

Assuming Suh actually reached the market and was open to playing here, what would be wrong with Suh and Williams here?

Once Marks returns, we'd have a line of

Williams, Marks, Suh and Clemons/rookie LEO of choice.

If it takes Marks longer to return, we could still have a DL of Bryant, Williams, Suh and Clemons/rookie LEO of choice.

Nothing is wrong with having more than one talented player in a position-especially DL.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Its never about where you come from, your joking right? Its about game tape, the player itself. Drafting has nothing to do with location or where you came from. If it was like that most of these NFL players wouldn't be around.

It's also about who you've played, etc. I don't like the idea of Fowler at No. 3. He's relatively unknown. He didn't do anything in 2012 and 2013 and then all of a sudden I am supposed to be impressed with 8.5 sacks in 2014 during Muschump's last year there where the offesne was so terrible the defense was out on the field more often than they were? No thanks. He had his best game against ECU a few months ago where he actually showed consistency. Prior to that game he was a sack here, a sack there type of guy. And he made little difference in the run game with a lowly 29 tackles for the year. You don't spend the No. 3 draft pick on a guy like that. I am sorry.

If he had production like DeMarcus Ware or Shawn Merrimam coming out of college. Go for it. But he's not worth that draft slot....he's just not...

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Why couldn't we sign Suh AND get a DL beast like Williams?

Assuming Suh actually reached the market and was open to playing here, what would be wrong with Suh and Williams here?

Once Marks returns, we'd have a line of

Williams, Marks, Suh and Clemons/rookie LEO of choice.

If it takes Marks longer to return, we could still have a DL of Bryant, Williams, Suh and Clemons/rookie LEO of choice.

Nothing is wrong with having more than one talented player in a position-especially DL.
I'm not saying we couldn't...

I'm not even saying we shouldn't.

I'm saying I wouldn't.

For multiple reasons. Yes Suh is a tremendous talent at DT.

Yes he is young. Yes we have cap room.

But I'm not sure he's a guy I want to hand the biggest contracts to and expect his pockets to not get heavy. And I suspect he'll continuously have run-ins with Sheriff Goodell. 

He just isn't my favorite FA target.

I'd rather throw the bank at a guy like either Thomas or McCourty.

Would I complain if we drafted Williams and signed Suh? Absolutely not.

Quote:No to both.

Name the last great defenvise lineman to come out of Florida in recent years. Floyd in Minnesotta? He hasn't done anything note worthy. We took Derrick Harvey, and he set us back two years. No thanks.

As for Suh, again, no thanks. Huge price tag, huge liability. He's a headcase that cost his team too many penalities. You can play nasty and physical and not be a dirt bag about it. John Randle and Kevin Greene did it for years.
I think Fowler would line up at OTTO for us.

Quote:if im not mistaken suh hasnt missed a game in his career.
He was about to serve a suspension, appealed and got a hefty fine instead, iirc.

He's just one stupid move away from costing his team a lot more than a hefty contract is all I'm saying. IMO, the risk isn't worth the reward.

He could get fat pockets and not play up to the contract.

He could get suspended.

I may be in the minority, and that is fine... I'm just not a big Suh fan, as a free agent.

BTW: Suh served a 2 game suspension in 2011 for stomping on Packers OL Dietrich-Smith

had one suspension minimized to a 70k fine

and won the appeal most recently for the playoff game he almost missed because of his idiocy 

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015, 04:14 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:I would stay away from Suh... i think he has already peaked in Detroit. Build this team from the draft and don't bother with problem players.

N. Suh is the most dominant defense player in the league not named JJ Watt, peaked? Hahahaha, you're clueless, a sure fure hall of famer when he retires, he would make everyone on the Jaguars defense better. 

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015, 04:22 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:He was about to serve a suspension, appealed and got a hefty fine instead, iirc.

He's just one stupid move away from costing his team a lot more than a hefty contract is all I'm saying. IMO, the risk isn't worth the reward.

He could get fat pockets and not play up to the contract.

He could get suspended.

I may be in the minority, and that is fine... I'm just not a big Suh fan, as a free agent.

So you wouldn't want one of the most dominant defensive linemen the league has seen in the last 20-25 years? In his prime, makes sense, the rationale behind some of these posts is mind boggling sometimes. The Jaguars are loaded with cap space and have the RARE opportunity to sign one of the most dominant defensive players in the league, but you don't want him because of his "antics", the risk is definitely worth the reward, it’d be different if we weren’t flushed with money but that’s not the case.

Quote:I'm not saying we couldn't...

I'm not even saying we shouldn't.

I'm saying I wouldn't.

For multiple reasons. Yes Suh is a tremendous talent at DT.

Yes he is young. Yes we have cap room.

But I'm not sure he's a guy I want to hand the biggest contracts to and expect his pockets to not get heavy. And I suspect he'll continuously have run-ins with Sheriff Goodell. 

He just isn't my favorite FA target.

I'd rather throw the bank at a guy like either Thomas or McCourty.

Would I complain if we drafted Williams and signed Suh? Absolutely not.

Let's assume arguendo that Suh is good for being suspended 2 games a year for the next five-the length of a hypothetical contract he signs.

That's 14 games a year (assuming good health) of dominant to near dominant play from the DT position.  As good as Marks played last year, he isn't in Suh's class. 

With Suh/healthy Marks/Williams manning the DTs, how much inside pressure could the DL produce in that time?

How many double teams would they command?

How often would MLBs be able to run free?

We haven't enjoyed such defensive matchup advantages here since the days of Stround and Henderson-almost ten years ago.

Quote:So you wouldn't want one of the most dominant defensive linemen the league has seen in the last 20-25 years? In his prime, makes sense, the rationale behind some of these posts is mind boggling sometimes. The Jaguars are loaded with cap space and have the RARE opportunity to sign one of the most dominant defensive players in the league, but you don't want him because of his "antics", the risk is definitely worth the reward, it’d be different if we weren’t flushed with money but that’s not the case.
Actually, I said it was my opinion.

It isn't like my post is really mind boggling. Your mind just can't see broader than your narrow scope.

There are no guarantees in life. Except the guaranteed money he would command in a contract.

I don't doubt the talent he is. I just think Caldwell can (and will) spend money more wisely.

But as I said before, if he makes the move and signs Suh, I won't be complaining on here. I trust the people that work in the FO much more than myself, or any of the keyboard warriors on here.

Quote:Actually, I said it was my opinion.

It isn't like my post is really mind boggling. Your mind just can't see broader than your narrow scope.

There are no guarantees in life. Except the guaranteed money he would command in a contract.

I don't doubt the talent he is. I just think Caldwell can (and will) spend money more wisely.

But as I said before, if he makes the move and signs Suh, I won't be complaining on here. I trust the people that work in the FO much more than myself, or any of the keyboard warriors on here.

I think you are doubting the talent he is, he demands a double (and sometimes triple) team on almost every snap, he (literally) single-handedly destroys the opposing offenses running game, he collapses the pocket against the pass making it easier for other defenders to harass the QB, he's the definition of a game changer. The reasons you gave for not signing him (Imo) are silly, he doesn't have any off the field incidents and is reportedly loved by his teammates, sure he plays with an edge but the Jaguars can use a nasty player on the defensive side of the ball, 
any
 free agent can get "fat pockets" and not play up to his contract, the reasons you gave aren't impactful enough for the Jaguars not sign a guy who's clearly the best at his position, by far. Considering the injury to Sen'Derrick, I'd be shocked if the Jaguars don't make a push to sign him.

I doubt even clean Gene would have had a problem with signing Suh.

Quote:I think you are doubting the talent he is, he demands a double (and sometimes triple) team on almost every snap, he (literally) single-handedly destroys the opposing offenses running game, he collapses the pocket against the pass making it easier for other defenders to harass the QB, he's the definition of a game changer. The reasons you gave for not signing him (Imo) are silly, he doesn't have any off the field incidents and is reportedly loved by his teammates, sure he plays with an edge but the Jaguars can use a nasty player on the defensive side of the ball, 
any
 free agent can get "fat pockets" and not play up to his contract, the reasons you gave aren't impactful enough for the Jaguars not sign a guy who's clearly the best at his position, by far. Considering the injury to Sen'Derrick, I'd be shocked if the Jaguars don't make a push to sign him.

There were a couple of minor traffic incidents as I recall, but nothing major ever came from those things.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015, 05:22 PM by Markulous.)

Quote:I doubt even clean Gene would have had a problem with signing Suh.
Nebraska is too big of a school.  Maybe if he was from Mid-Western Nebraska Tech if Gene is feeling ballsy.

If Suh hits free agency he is by far the best talent available.  He does come with some baggage.  If the jags could convince him to come here he would be worth overpaying.

IMO our biggest need is a smart FS in the backfield.  If a decent one comes open he has a blank check.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:If Suh hits free agency he is by far the best talent available. He does come with some baggage. If the jags could convince him to come here he would be worth overpaying.

IMO our biggest need is a smart FS in the backfield. If a decent one comes open he has a blank check.
Dez Bryant comes with baggage. I'd take him. Adrian Peterson comes with baggage. I'd take him.

Quote:Dez Bryant comes with baggage. I'd take him. Adrian Peterson comes with baggage. I'd take him.
Super-models come with baggage too.

I'd take the hell out of them! lol

Their are only 4 teams I don't want to see sign Suh: The Colts, Texans, Titans and Jaguars. For people listing his infractions, don't forget the groin kick.

Dirty player or not, he is a great dirty player. Thats what we need and he has never missed a game. He automatically makes everyone better around him. The price might be worth it, he will automatically make the defense better overall and our run defense will be great. That being said bring him if they don't we have other options like drafting Williams. But I agree Fowler and Suh would be crazy and even Suh and Williams would be great also. 

I can't say id pay Suh record amounts of dollars but he'd get paid.
THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.