Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Totally agree with Pete Prisco - Sign Suh draft Fowler

Prisco is dead on.  He's been pretty stellar with his homework on pass rushers in the draft the past few years and Suh absolutely changes a game.  Fowler/Suh/Marks/Bryant.  That'd be a pretty filthy line with some real nastiness with Fowler and Suh.

BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Prisco is dead on. He's been pretty stellar with his homework on pass rushers in the draft the past few years and Suh absolutely changes a game. Fowler/Suh/Marks/Bryant. That'd be a pretty filthy line with some real nastiness with Fowler and Suh.

I seem to remember Pete Prisco being pretty high on the dion jordan train 2 years ago

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015, 08:36 AM by DewtheMathis.)

I disagree draft DT Leo Williams no need to sign Suh, instead sign JPP!

A healthy S. Marks & Leo Williams is a fine DT one two punch with Roy Miller & Tyson Alualu (if he is kept) as backups.

So Suh would be coming here to play NT? Cool.

Quote:Signs are pointing to Detroit resigning Suh.
If the Jaguars draft DT Leo Williams and S'Marks returns healthy the Jaguars will have the same if not better duo that the Lions have with Suh & Fairley (as I think Marks is better than N. Fairley & hopefully Williams will be as good as Suh)...

Quote:If the Jaguars draft DT Leo Williams and S'Marks returns healthy the Jaguars will have the same if not better duo that the Lions have with Suh & Fairley (as I think Marks is better than N. Fairley & hopefully Williams will be as good as Suh)...

One of the more ignorant posts I've seen on here, Marks and Williams as good if not better than Suh and Fairley? Wow, you need to watch more football my friend.

Quote:If the Jaguars draft DT Leo Williams and S'Marks returns healthy the Jaguars will have the same if not better duo that the Lions have with Suh & Fairley (as I think Marks is better than N. Fairley & hopefully Williams will be as good as Suh)...

The best part about this ridiculous post is Williams isn't a LEO, and hasn't played a down yet in the NFL.

Quote:The best part about this ridiculous post is Williams isn't a LEO, and hasn't played a down yet in the NFL.

By "Leo" he means Leonard.  Or at lest, that's how I read it.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

This is a whole lot of pages debating about a player who isn't going to be hitting the open market.

Yeah LEO, means Leonard in that scenario, otherwise it's completely irrelevant as Suh isnt a LEO either.

Quote:By "Leo" he means Leonard.  Or at lest, that's how I read it.

Yep you're right, read it wrong. Either way Leonard Williams and Sen' Derrick Marks aren't in the same league as Suh and Fairley, especially considering Williams hasn't played a snap yet.

Quote:This is a whole lot of pages debating about a player who isn't going to be hitting the open market.

There's a very good chance he hits the market, the Lions have all kinds of cap issues (similar to the Saints), it's tough to let a guy like Suh walk but they have a good chunk of their cap space invested in Megatron and Matthew Stafford, they would have to get creative with the cap in order to make it work, and usually getting "creative" screws you in the long run. Just ask the Saints and Cowboys.

Quote:I seem to remember Pete Prisco being pretty high on the dion jordan train 2 years ago
I can't recall that, but perhaps he was.  Everyone's gonna have a few misses. But he nailed it with Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Pierre-Paul, JJ Watt, and Greg Hardy to name a few.

BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

I would be more interested in the Jags drafting Fowler at 3, than signing Suh as a FA. I think they spend more money in FA on offense and draft more defense. I am glad rumors are spreading though, makes this down time fun to watch.

Quote:I would be more interested in the Jags drafting Fowler at 3, than signing Suh as a FA. I think they spend more money in FA on offense and draft more defense. I am glad rumors are spreading though, makes this down time fun to watch.
Fowler is a question mark. You don't know how he's going to turn out.

Suh on the other hand is arguably the second best defensive player in the league. If I had a choice between Fowler and Suh, I'll take Suh every time.

Quote:There's a very good chance he hits the market, the Lions have all kinds of cap issues (similar to the Saints), it's tough to let a guy like Suh walk but they have a good chunk of their cap space invested in Megatron and Matthew Stafford, they would have to get creative with the cap in order to make it work, and usually getting "creative" screws you in the long run. Just ask the Saints and Cowboys.
I mean, sure it's more likely than guys like Houston, Dez, DT, etc who are 0%. Suh is probably like 2% chance. 

Quote:I mean, sure it's more likely than guys like Houston, Dez, DT, etc who are 0%. Suh is probably like 2% chance. 

Let me guess, you have inside sources.

Quote:There's a very good chance he hits the market, the Lions have all kinds of cap issues (similar to the Saints), it's tough to let a guy like Suh walk but they have a good chunk of their cap space invested in Megatron and Matthew Stafford, they would have to get creative with the cap in order to make it work, and usually getting "creative" screws you in the long run. Just ask the Saints and Cowboys.

I agree that the Lions salary cap situation is far from ideal,  especially when factoring in the uncertain situation with Ndamukong Suh.   However,  the Lions should have somewhere around $ 17 million under the salary cap if no contracts are added before the start of the FA period.    Even if as expected RFA DE George Johnson gets the 2nd Round tender offer,  that will still leave the Lions with around $ 15 million in cap space.    Even if Suh receives the near $ 27 million Franchise Tag,  with plenty of cap space needing to be freed up,  that still is a significantly better cap situation than the Saints have at this time. 

You raise a good point about the difficult choices teams have to make regarding whether high priced contracts.    Yet,  if the Lions can agree to a long term contract with Suh,   it would be a similar situation in 2015 to what the team has already had in recent season with Matthew Stafford,  Calvin Johnson,  and Suh.    What happens in 2016 or 2017 regarding Megatron's contract is another story.

For a team like the Jaguars,  which doesn't have any high priced contracts,  has loads of salary cap space,  and is facing a season in which much more winning will be expected,  I can envision them making one or two mega contract signings.    So much depends on which players end up on the open market w/o restrictions.  

I honestly don't see this team pursuing Suh based strictly on what his expectations are going to be contract-wise.  There are more holes that require attention where that money could be better spent than to commit JJ Watt type money to a DT. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I honestly don't see this team pursuing Suh based strictly on what his expectations are going to be contract-wise.  There are more holes that require attention where that money could be better spent than to commit JJ Watt type money to a DT. 

He'll get slightly more than what Gerald McCoy got (7 years $98M with $51M guaranteed), for a team like the Jaguars who are in desperate need of impact players it's certainly an investment I think David Caldwell and ownership would be willing to make, especially given the caliber of the player. We could afford Suh and other high-end FA's on both sides of the ball given our cap situation, because we don't have anyone on the current roster that's due for a significant contract extension anytime soon, David could simply frontload the guaranteed money, so when players like Blake Bortles/Allen Robinson/Brandon Linder etc.. are up for extensions the guaranteed monies paid to Suh should already be off the books, the Jaguars have managed their cap over the past 2 years perfectly for a situation like this, swing for the fences. I mocked at the Bills for giving Mario Williams that huge contract; it's paid huge dividends so far, Suh is headed for a hall of fame career and is one of the most dominant interior defensive linemen the league has ever seen.