Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Totally agree with Pete Prisco - Sign Suh draft Fowler

Quote: I agree that the Lions salary cap situation is far from ideal,  especially when factoring in the uncertain situation with Ndamukong Suh.   However,  the Lions should have somewhere around $ 17 million under the salary cap if no contracts are added before the start of the FA period.    Even if as expected RFA DE George Johnson gets the 2nd Round tender offer,  that will still leave the Lions with around $ 15 million in cap space.    Even if Suh receives the near $ 27 million Franchise Tag,  with plenty of cap space needing to be freed up,  that still is a significantly better cap situation than the Saints have at this time. 

You raise a good point about the difficult choices teams have to make regarding whether high priced contracts.    Yet,  if the Lions can agree to a long term contract with Suh,   it would be a similar situation in 2015 to what the team has already had in recent season with Matthew Stafford,  Calvin Johnson,  and Suh.    What happens in 2016 or 2017 regarding Megatron's contract is another story.

For a team like the Jaguars,  which doesn't have any high priced contracts,  has loads of salary cap space,  and is facing a season in which much more winning will be expected,  I can envision them making one or two mega contract signings.    So much depends on which players end up on the open market w/o restrictions.  

Good points as usual, if you had a choice of keeping Suh or Megatron who would you keep?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He'll get slightly more than what Gerald McCoy got (7 years $98M with $51M guaranteed), for a team like the Jaguars who are in desperate need of impact players it's certainly an investment I think David Caldwell and ownership would be willing to make, especially given the caliber of the player. We could afford Suh and other high-end FA's on both sides of the ball given our cap situation, because we don't have anyone on the current roster that's due for a significant contract extension anytime soon, David could simply frontload the guaranteed money, so when players like Blake Bortles/Allen Robinson/Brandon Linder etc.. are up for extensions the guaranteed monies paid to Suh should already be off the books, the Jaguars have managed their cap over the past 2 years perfectly for a situation like this, swing for the fences. I mocked at the Bills for giving Mario Williams that huge contract; it's paid huge dividends so far, Suh is headed for a hall of fame career and is one of the most dominant interior defensive linemen the league has ever seen.
I don't think you're going to get a significantly better ROI from him than what you're getting from the guys on the line here already.  Not enough to warrant that kind of money.  That's just me, but I see this team focused on far bigger issues that need addressing in free agency like RT, FS, and possibly a veteran WR and/or DE.  Throwing money at Suh just because we can leaves us still looking for fixes elsewhere that we could address in FA, IMO. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I don't think you're going to get a significantly better ROI from him than what you're getting from the guys on the line here already.  Not enough to warrant that kind of money.  That's just me, but I see this team focused on far bigger issues that need addressing in free agency like RT, FS, and possibly a veteran WR.  Throwing money at Suh just because we can leaves us still looking for fixes elsewhere that we could address in FA, IMO. 

We'll agree to disagree on the ROI as I feel Suh is light years better than anyone on the Jaguars defensive line, including Sen'Derrick Marks. I do agree that FS, RT, and a veteran receiver are bigger needs, however, with the injury to Marks the Jaguars would be wise to invest into the interior DL, if we don't sign Suh I'd certainly take his teammate Nick Fairley, who's equally as dominant at times..

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015, 05:40 PM by D6.)

Quote:Good points as usual, if you had a choice of keeping Suh or Megatron who would you keep?

Thanks!

That's a difficult question for me,  especially considering that Calvin Johnson is my favorite player and he's been a great representative for the Detroit Lions on and off the field.

Despite my appreciation for Calvin Johnson,  because he's a 1 1/2 years older than Ndamukong Suh and doesn't have Suh's durability,   my choice to keep would be Suh if it was one or the other.  

Ironically,  if the Lions do re-sign Suh,  that could eventually lead to Megatron playing elsewhere.   With the possibility of this happening as early as 2016.

Signing Suh does not preclude us from signing any and many other free agents as we want that will put ink to paper. We have enough to sign Suh and other impact free agents and have money left over. We have an unprecedented salary cap situation with almost as much money as anyone has had in the cap era, with 2 more contracts that could free up another 14 million and nobody up for a new contract for years.

Quote:Thanks!

That's a difficult question for me,  especially considering that Calvin Johnson is my favorite player and he's been a great representative for the Detroit Lions on and off the field.

Despite my appreciation for Calvin Johnson,  because he's a 1 1/2 older than Ndamukong Suh and doesn't have Suh's durability,   my choice to keep would be Suh if it was one or the other.  

Ironically,  if the Lions do re-sign Suh,  that could eventually lead to Megatron playing elsewhere.   With the possibility of this happening as early as 2016.

That's where I was getting at, there was a pre-draft rumor last year that the Lions wanted to trade up into the top 5 in an attempt to land Sammy Watkins, I thought that was a bit odd given they already had Megatron and Golden Tate on the roster, I feel the Lions and Megatron would certainly part ways sooner than later if they resign Suh, just not enough money to go around. Martin Mayhew is clearly a stud evaluator, so I'm sure he's confident he'll find a #1 receiver at some point in the 2015/2016 draft, especially given Calvins recent injury issues.

Quote:Signing Suh does not preclude us from signing any and many other free agents as we want that will put ink to paper. We have enough to sign Suh and other impact free agents and have money left over. We have an unprecedented salary cap situation with almost as much money as anyone has had in the cap era, with 2 more contracts that could free up another 14 million and nobody up for a new contract for years.

It's unprecedented cap space because we have no one on the roster that deserves an extension at this time, what's insane is the Jaguars could instantly create another $15M-$16M in cap space by releasing Poz and Lewis, I think Poz is safe but I don't see Marcedes on the roster next year. The Jaguars could easily afford Suh, and the top TE, WR, RT, FS, & LEO on the market without breaking a financial sweat, it's not going to happen but that's how healthy the cap situation is right now.

Quote:We'll agree to disagree on the ROI as I feel Suh is light years better than anyone on the Jaguars defensive line, including Sen'Derrick Marks. I do agree that FS, RT, and a veteran receiver are bigger needs, however, with the injury to Marks the Jaguars would be wise to invest into the interior DL, if we don't sign Suh I'd certainly take his teammate Nick Fairley, who's equally as dominant at times..

Spending $100 million on a defensive tackle isn't an investment.  Especially if you're front loading the deal. 

You say he's worth the investment.  Is he 4 1/2 times better than Marks?  Because that's what you're paying him to be with your contract suggestion.  Yeah, the injury to Marks is a concern, but not one that would force me to throw that kind of money at a player. 

Fairley would probably be a more appealing option for this team, although he's another guy who has injury issues to contend with. It wouldn't surprise me to see them at least look at Potroast, or Jared Odrick as options as well.  There are guys out there who, while they aren't on the same level as Suh, can be quite effective in this defense without forking out $100 million contracts. 

Quote:Signing Suh does not preclude us from signing any and many other free agents as we want that will put ink to paper. We have enough to sign Suh and other impact free agents and have money left over. We have an unprecedented salary cap situation with almost as much money as anyone has had in the cap era, with 2 more contracts that could free up another 14 million and nobody up for a new contract for years.

People are going to be sorely disappointed by what transpires this off season with free agency because the mindset the front office is going to follow will be less on throwing huge contracts out there for multiple players, and more about signing the right free agents to fill roles on this team.  I don't expect to see them over-do it in free agency.  I think ultimately, they're going to find ways to continue to manage the cap in a way that allows them to carry money forward, using extensions for players with incentives that aren't likely to be earned and other loopholes to allow them to continue to have one of the healthiest caps in the league while building through the draft.

Caldwell has been pretty clear that they'll be aggressive, but they won't overspend in free agency.  Suh would be a guy that you'd have to overspend to get.  In the end, all of this is going to be a moot point because I think the Lions find a way to get a deal done to keep him. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:That's where I was getting at, there was a pre-draft rumor last year that the Lions wanted to trade up into the top 5 in an attempt to land Sammy Watkins, I thought that was a bit odd given they already had Megatron and Golden Tate on the roster, I feel the Lions and Megatron would certainly part ways sooner than later if they resign Suh, just not enough money to go around. Martin Mayhew is clearly a stud evaluator, so I'm sure he's confident he'll find a #1 receiver at some point in the 2015/2016 draft, especially given Calvins recent injury issues.

There's no question that the Lions had serious interest in Sammy Watkins.   At the very least,  Watkins would have given the Lions an impact 3-some at WR in the short term.   With the possibility of the Lions moving on from Calvin Johnson in the next few years.   As it turned out,  the Bills offer to the Browns to trade up for Sammy Watkins was far more than I would have been comfortable with if the Lions made the offer.  

Quote:Spending $100 million on a defensive tackle isn't an investment.  Especially if you're front loading the deal. 

You say he's worth the investment.  Is he 4 1/2 times better than Marks?  Because that's what you're paying him to be with your contract suggestion.  Yeah, the injury to Marks is a concern, but not one that would force me to throw that kind of money at a player. 

Fairley would probably be a more appealing option for this team, although he's another guy who has injury issues to contend with. It wouldn't surprise me to see them at least look at Potroast, or Jared Odrick as options as well.  There are guys out there who, while they aren't on the same level as Suh, can be quite effective in this defense without forking out $100 million contracts. 

People are going to be sorely disappointed by what transpires this off season with free agency because the mindset the front office is going to follow will be less on throwing huge contracts out there for multiple players, and more about signing the right free agents to fill roles on this team.  I don't expect to see them over-do it in free agency.  I think ultimately, they're going to find ways to continue to manage the cap in a way that allows them to carry money forward, using extensions for players with incentives that aren't likely to be earned and other loopholes to allow them to continue to have one of the healthiest caps in the league while building through the draft.

Caldwell has been pretty clear that they'll be aggressive, but they won't overspend in free agency.  Suh would be a guy that you'd have to overspend to get.  In the end, all of this is going to be a moot point because I think the Lions find a way to get a deal done to keep him. 

I doubt Suh (or McCoy) will ever collect $100M, only franchise QB's collect the full value of the contract, it's all about the guaranteed money. At the end of the day I'd be ecstatic if we sign Suh and wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't, that's where I stand. It's obviously a lot of money to commit to a DT but the guy is a one man wrecking crew, we'll see what happens.

I don't think there is any way to know what Caldwell will do. One thing I do believe, however, is that if we arent willing to pay the market price for the top players in the league, especially in our cap situation, then we will never sign the best players in the league.

Building through the draft exclusively with just supplemental free agents is a recipe for a 10 year rebuild, even with the best drafting.

Quote:I doubt Suh (or McCoy) will ever collect $100M, only franchise QB's collect the full value of the contract, it's all about the guaranteed money. At the end of the day I'd be ecstatic if we sign Suh and wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't, that's where I stand. It's obviously a lot of money to commit to a DT but the guy is a one man wrecking crew, we'll see what happens.
His contract will be somewhere in the same stratosphere as what JJ Watt signed last year.  That deal had a $10 million signing bonus and more than $50 million guaranteed.  I don't see this team going anywhere near a deal like that for any player in free agency. 

Quote:I don't think there is any way to know what Caldwell will do. One thing I do believe, however, is that if we arent willing to pay the market price for the top players in the league, especially in our cap situation, then we will never sign the best players in the league.

Building through the draft exclusively with just supplemental free agents is a recipe for a 10 year rebuild, even with the best drafting.
I don't think they'll just sign supplemental free agents.  I do see them going after at least one if not two top tier free agents very early in the process depending on who is available.  I don't think they'll shy away from spending what's necessary to find top talent.  I just don't think they'll see Suh as a guy worth the kind of investment he'll command if he somehow manages to hit free agency. 

Regardless of whether they feel its worth it or not, that is the going rate for a young player who has performed at his level.

I don't care if they go in other directions because they feel they can get more bang for the buck elsewhere. I would be bothered if they shied away from him just because he costs a lot, if that makes sense.

Quote:Regardless of whether they feel its worth it or not, that is the going rate for a young player who has performed at his level.

I don't care if they go in other directions because they feel they can get more bang for the buck elsewhere. I would be bothered if they shied away from him just because he costs a lot, if that makes sense.
I don't think they'll shy away from any player because of the cost.  I just don't think they will see that position as a #1 priority this free agency period regardless of the situation with Marks' knee. 

Quote:Gregory had two surgeries this year.  I have concerns about his long term durability.  I want Williams.  If Williams is gone that means a QB is still on the board.  Trade down to Jets for 1st and 2nd and take Fowler there.

This

LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

I dont see how the Jaguars dont draft DT Leonard Williams in any scenario in fact I wouldnt be shocked if they had to trade up to get him!

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2015, 08:36 AM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:The best part about this ridiculous post is Williams isn't a LEO, and hasn't played a down yet in the NFL.
I never said he was a LEO he's a DT which is why I compared him and marks to the Lions two DTs... ?

Why you mad bro?

As much as I would want Suh to come here, he won't. Caldwell is build through the draft and fix small pieces with Free Agency. 

Quote:I dont see how the Jaguars dont draft DT Leonard Williams in any scenario in fact I wouldnt be shocked if they had to trade up to get him!
Are you just saying he gets drafted before us or that we would actually trade up for someone in this draft?  If it's the latter, I think that's crazy.