Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Demetrius McCray one of the best in the league.

McCray and Culliver with Colvin on the slot and Gratz the primary backup.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Did anyone else notice RASHEAN MATHIS is #7 on that list.

Did Caldwell blow it OR is that list slightly distorted

Quote:Josh Evans is literally one of the worst safeties in the league, JC was drafted to be a "in the box" safety similar to Kam Chancellor but has been relegated to playing further off the LOS because of Evans inept range, Wolverjag is right. When we upgrade the FS position Cyp will look a lot better, btw, he actually had a decent year and played well down the stretch, haters are going to hate though.
Cyprien is also one of the worst safeties in the league by your standards.

I think they are both below average safeties.

I'm not going to say Cyp is playing poorly because of Evans because that's simply not true. Cyp has missed like 30 tackles in 2014... That has nothing to do with Evans.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Cyprien is also one of the worst safeties in the league by your standards.

I think they are both below average safeties.

I'm not going to say Cyp is playing poorly because of Evans because that's simply not true. Cyp has missed like 30 tackles in 2014... That has nothing to do with Evans.
What if we got McCourty in free agency and traded back in the 1st and took Landon Collins?  I think our defense would improve tremendously 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/2/17...ntial-jets

Meh, If McCourty hits the market I hope Dave opens up the check book for him and Bulaga

Quote:Did anyone else notice RASHEAN MATHIS is #7 on that list.

Did Caldwell blow it OR is that list slightly distorted

Neither.  'Shean was a (soon to be) 33 year old cornerback that was a year and a half removed from tearing his ACL.  It made sense to move on.  He's played really well for Detroit, better than anyone could have imagined.

As for McCray, he's played really well, but he needs to grab an interception.  It's the biggest reason why the QR rating against him is at 81, which is still not bad.

The average of the last 12 games was 218 YPG or what would be 5th overall. I don't doubt McCray played a huge role in that.

I think McCray is a sure starter and Colvin can lock it down if he continues to get healthy/100%.

That's strong enough praise because NFL corners don't grow on trees.

McCray, Colvin, and Gratz is a solid young trio to build the future.  Caldwell has done a nice job thus far in putting these pieces together. Behind these guys is a nice blend of experience (Blackmon and Ball if re-signed) and youth potential (Reynolds and Harris). I am not sold that this team needs another corner.  

Cyprien has had his lapses, but he is still young and developing.  I still believe he will develop into a solid strong safety in this league.  Evans at free safety is in need of an upgrade, as he's a liability at the position. 

Give me Rahim Moore before Maxwell.

Loved watching this kids tenacity. He was an animal vs the Steelers, basically gave Antonio Brown his worst game of the year. Hopefully he can grow into a consistently top rated corner, even if it's under the radar.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:Neither.  'Shean was a (soon to be) 33 year old cornerback that was a year and a half removed from tearing his ACL.  It made sense to move on.  He's played really well for Detroit, better than anyone could have imagined.

As for McCray, he's played really well, but he needs to grab an interception.  It's the biggest reason why the QR rating against him is at 81, which is still not bad.

Rashean looked done that first year after his injury. Looks like he's recovered a bit. That said, his job has probably been made easier due to that defense being able to shutdown the run and make teams one-dimensional offensively.

I think Cyp regressed in his sophmore year but I am optimistic he can bounce back.

He has really good games throughout his 2 seasons... so... I wouldn't say he is anywhere near one of the worst safeties.

Quote:Rashean looked done that first year after his injury. Looks like he's recovered a bit. That said, his job has probably been made easier due to that defense being able to shutdown the run and make teams one-dimensional offensively.
Yeah... that Dline is pretty good there. He doesn't have to cover very long.

Quote:This post is particularly hilarious because stats show that JC is too literally one of of the worst safeties in the league.

What "stats"?

Quote:This post is particularly hilarious because stats show that JC is too literally one of of the worst safeties in the league.

If you're going by "stats" PFF shows Josh Evans had one game (Washington) where he was effective, he was and has been brutal. There's a reason he was a late round pick, he doesn't have the traits you look for in a single high free safety, he's stiff, he lacks ideal range, and he doesn't tackle well. If you don't think his inept play affects Jonathan Cyprien then you're clueless on how the Jaguars/Seahawks defense works, the single high free safety is arguably the most crucial piece to making the this cover 3 concept work, because we rarely blitz, an effective FS allows Kam Chancellor/Jonathan Cyprien to play in "the box", the closer players like Cyp and Chancellor are to the LOS the more effective they are, it's not rocket science. Because Evans is so bad Cyp is forced to play further off the LOS to compensate for Evans pathetic range, Cyp is obviously less effective (like most strong safeties) when they're forced to play in larger spaces, if you were to put Kam Chancellor next to Evans it would limit his effectiveness as well, that's why it's crucial for the Jaguars to find a FS that can flip his hips (with fluidity) and run with most receivers. I'll be patiently waiting for your response.

I believe McCray is that tall CB with long arms that Gus likes. His ceiling is very high and next year he will start and he will continue to get better and hopefully we have our shut down corner. I'm worried about Cyprien but optimistic because he went through sophomore slump year so now its time to get your [BLEEP] together and start tackling and making huge hits in the box and make this defense nasty. My fav player outside of the whole Jags team would be Kam Chancellor, love that kid and they way he plays.

You can never have too many good cover guys in today's NFL. The more the merrier. I do agree that McCray and Colvin should end up being the guys that shore up the top two positions but it wouldn't hurt adding another pair of respectable corners to help out in the nickel and dime packages.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM by trunt87.)

Quote:If you're going by "stats" PFF shows Josh Evans had one game (Washington) where he was effective, he was and has been brutal. There's a reason he was a late round pick, he doesn't have the traits you look for in a single high free safety, he's stiff, he lacks ideal range, and he doesn't tackle well. If you don't think his inept play affects Jonathan Cyprien then you're clueless on how the Jaguars/Seahawks defense works, the single high free safety is arguably the most crucial piece to making the this cover 3 concept work, because we rarely blitz, an effective FS allows Kam Chancellor/Jonathan Cyprien to play in "the box", the closer players like Cyp and Chancellor are to the LOS the more effective they are, it's not rocket science. Because Evans is so bad Cyp is forced to play further off the LOS to compensate for Evans pathetic range, Cyp is obviously less effective (like most strong safeties) when they're forced to play in larger spaces, if you were to put Kam Chancellor next to Evans it would limit his effectiveness as well, that's why it's crucial for the Jaguars to find a FS that can flip his hips (with fluidity) and run with most receivers. I'll be patiently waiting for your response.
Then please do explain how Evans being bad makes Cyprien take terrible angles and misses tackles consistently.

Also can you stop comparing Cyprien to Chancellor? He is no where close to what Chancellor is. If Cyprien is playing off the line more because of Evans then there is absolutely zero excuse for his dreadful angles.

To add something else, you act like finding a greatfree safety is easy. If that is what we need to have Cyprien play effectively then we could be in a lot of trouble.

Not to mention i remember a film room Friday with lags where he specifically showed where Cyprien bit on a play action and in turn caused a deep pass down the sideline for a Td. But that was Evans fault right?

Quote:Then please do explain how Evans being bad makes Cyprien take terrible angles and misses tackles consistently.

Also can you stop comparing Cyprien to Chancellor? He is no where close to what Chancellor is. If Cyprien is playing off the line more because of Evans then there is absolutely zero excuse for his dreadful angles.

To add something else, you act like finding a greatfree safety is easy. If that is what we need to have Cyprien play effectively then we could be in a lot of trouble.

I'm not blaming Evans for all of Cyp's issues, because he certainly needs to improve, but to think Evans inept play doesn't affect Cyp is ignorant, it's like saying a terrible LG doesn't affect a LT. I'm comparing Cyp to Chancellor because that's the role he plays in Gus Bradley’s defense genius, obviously finding a great FS isn't easy, but finding an upgrade over Evans (who’s arguably the worst starting FS in the league) isn't as daunting of a task.

Quote:I'm not blaming Evans for all of Cyp's issues, because he certainly needs to improve, but to think Evans inept play doesn't affect Cyp is ignorant, it's like saying a terrible LG doesn't affect a LT. I'm comparing Cyp to Chancellor because that's the role he plays in Gus Bradley’s defense genius, obviously finding a great FS isn't easy, but finding an upgrade over Evans (who’s arguably the worst starting FS in the league) isn't as daunting of a task.

Right and I'm not saying that Evans doesn't have some impact on the play of Cyprien. But Cyprien main problem is he is missing a lot of tackles and taking horrid angles. The Ravens game he had 6 or 7 missed tackles in the FIRST HALF. Spin it how you want, but Evans has nothing to do with that. I actually am ok with Cyprien coverage wise. It os hos tackling that irks me.