Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com Offseason Forecast

No on Maxwell. He is an above average corner who will be way overpaid. I don't want the jags to be the morons who overpay. I'd rather them go after Huston at center and one of the quality RTs in free agency. Possibly we could get lucky and get both. Then maybe add some talent at LB like Malcolm Smith. There is some decent talent at TE as well (Hell no to Thomas).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You do understand why the rankings ended up where they did, right? No defense can hold up when they're spending most of the game on the field because of an inept offense, but you'd understand that if you actually watched the games and didn't just cling to a stat line.
I watched every single game but do not see things through teal goggles like yourself.  In the beginning of the year this team was getting torched every week.  They did improve but was still full of missed tackles, bad angles, and just getting beat.  There were like 5 games all of last season I could see the defense did enough to win.  Lets not pretend this was a stout defense because it wasn't.  They couldn't defend the run or the pass.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

People actually saying McCray should sit?

uwotm8?

McCray showed he has the potential to be absolutely elite last season

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015, 09:47 AM by P. Haze.)

Quote:People actually saying McCray should sit?

uwotm8?

McCray showed he has the potential to be absolutely elite last season
Exactly. I don't even think some of these Jaguar "fans" even watched this team last year. Easily the best corner on the team and folks want to bench him for just somebody who played in a system and team that helped prop him up and bit. And why in the hell do people want Malcolm Smith here? Did he even play this year? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...le-jaguars

There are a couple of videos on this page, including an interview with Blake Bortles.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

McCray is the man. Colvin will be the x factor in the secondary. Gratz is a good nickle back.

I think we should focus on other areas in terms of free agency. Kinda like with our running backs, I think we should give those 2 corps this coming season to shine and then reevaluate in 2016

Well, I agree with the grade. A solid D...

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Quote:I watched every single game but do not see things through teal goggles like yourself.  In the beginning of the year this team was getting torched every week.  They did improve but was still full of missed tackles, bad angles, and just getting beat.  There were like 5 games all of last season I could see the defense did enough to win.  Lets not pretend this was a stout defense because it wasn't.  They couldn't defend the run or the pass.
If you actually saw every game and didn't see significant improvement from the defense despite the rankings, you need to get your eyes checked, or maybe just concede the fact that your football IQ rivals your shoe size.

The defense was FAR better than their final standings indicated, and vastly improved from 2013.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:If you actually saw every game and didn't see significant improvement from the defense despite the rankings, you need to get your eyes checked, or maybe just concede the fact that your football IQ rivals your shoe size.

The defense was FAR better than their final standings indicated, and vastly improved from 2013.
Your ridicule of the poster aside, I'm not so sure if what we saw from our defense last year was so much an indication of 'vast' improvement as it was an indictment of just how ineffectual they have been. That not withstanding, the rankings are the bottom line and show no favoritism. We are what our rankings indicate we are, like it or not. If we were really 'vastly' improved, it would have reflected in our rankings, and it didn't. We were improved, but just not enough to make a difference. This isn't a championship level defense like we've seen in the past from teams like the ravens.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Your ridicule of the poster aside, I'm not so sure if what we saw from our defense last year was so much an indication of 'vast' improvement as it was an indictment of just how ineffectual they have been. That not withstanding, the rankings are the bottom line and show no favoritism. We are what our rankings indicate we are, like it or not. If we were really 'vastly' improved, it would have reflected in our rankings, and it didn't. We were improved, but just not enough to make a difference. This isn't a championship level defense like we've seen in the past from teams like the ravens.
I disagree.

The standings reflect the overall health of the team, and not specifically the defense, which despite their numbers were much improved, and headed in the right direction.  The defense showed up extremely well all season long.  They can't control the fact that they were on the field for entirely too long because the offense couldn't sustain drives.  I don't care how good the defense is you're trotting out there.  You can't ask them to spend 65% of the time on the field and expect them to sustain a high level of play throughout.  Fatigue is going to play a factor at some point.  We all saw it with our own eyes.

If the offense was even marginally better, say the middle third of the league, the standings for the defense would have been markedly improved.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case last year.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I disagree.

The standings reflect the overall health of the team, and not specifically the defense, which despite their numbers were much improved, and headed in the right direction.  The defense showed up extremely well all season long.  They can't control the fact that they were on the field for entirely too long because the offense couldn't sustain drives.  I don't care how good the defense is you're trotting out there.  You can't ask them to spend 65% of the time on the field and expect them to sustain a high level of play throughout.  Fatigue is going to play a factor at some point.  We all saw it with our own eyes.

If the offense was even marginally better, say the middle third of the league, the standings for the defense would have been markedly improved.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case last year.

OMG. I actually agree with FBT. dang. What the hell?!?!?

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:I disagree.

I dunno, boss man...I seem to recall them looking pretty bad the beginning quarter of the season. It was almost like they were astounded at how well they were playing in the first half at Philly then after the half, the wheels just blew out until around Week 6. I very well could be misremembering (if that's even a word), but that's what's in my head.

In any case, I think what we saw after they began to get their <expletive> together is a defense that is very capable, even in spite of a stuttering offense. How many games down the stretch did the defense keep us in again?

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I dunno, boss man...I seem to recall them looking pretty bad the beginning quarter of the season. It was almost like they were astounded at how well they were playing in the first half at Philly then after the half, the wheels just blew out until around Week 6. I very well could be misremembering (if that's even a word), but that's what's in my head.

In any case, I think what we saw after they began to get their <expletive> together is a defense that is very capable, even in spite of a stuttering offense. How many games down the stretch did the defense keep us in again?
How they started the season is completely irrelevant.  They finished it strongly despite having to contend with an offense that was among the most inept in the league.  Any games this team was close in was a direct benefit of the defense. 

No defense is going to win games when they are on the field as much as this unit was last year.  I don't care how good that group is, if the offense is repeatedly going back to the sideline quickly drive after drive, even the best of the best will struggle eventually. 

Stole this from another poster on this site, the last 12 games of the season, better known as life after Guy, the Jaguars had a top 5 pass defense and ranked 11th overall. ..
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:If you actually saw every game and didn't see significant improvement from the defense despite the rankings, you need to get your eyes checked, or maybe just concede the fact that your football IQ rivals your shoe size.

Your IQ measures your manhood and it's not much.  This defense may have been better than 2013 but that was the bottom of the barrel.  I guess you didin't read where I said they did improve but was still far from a good defense. There was improvement but when you go from feces to vomit it's not a big difference.  The fact is this defense was very bipolar.  They played well for a drive or even a quarter then end up beating themselves. The secondary desperately needs veteran leadership while the LB group needs more talent.   We still don't have a dominant edge rusher.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Your IQ measures your manhood and it's not much. This defense may have been better than 2013 but that was the bottom of the barrel. I guess you didin't read where I said they did improve but was still far from a good defense. There was improvement but when you go from feces to vomit it's not a big difference. The fact is this defense was very bipolar. They played well for a drive or even a quarter then end up beating themselves. The secondary desperately needs veteran leadership while the LB group needs more talent. We still don't have a dominant edge rusher.
They gave up 40+ to Kirk Cousins....

They did look better at the end (Pittsburgh game especially) but they got a lot of work to do.

Quote:Stole this from another poster on this site, the last 12 games of the season, better known as life after Guy, the Jaguars had a top 5 pass defense and ranked 11th overall. ..

Hopefully this post will not go unnoticed.