Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Greg Cosell's film work on Blake Bortles and the other rookie QB's

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2015, 02:32 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

Quote:His balls float in the air forever...

That's kinda cool I guess.

Toilet humor, I know. Don't mind me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Says who, you?

Says guys like Philip Rivers , Tony Romo , Etc. Lookingvat past greats Joe Montana didnt exactly have a cannon arm and neither has Peyton Manning for the last 3-4 seasons. Heck Brady himself doesnt always use his cannon either.

Arm strength will only get you so far as on most throws full strength is rarely needed. If you have superior intelligence, timing and ability to read defenses you will be better over time. Cutler, Stafford, Vick, Cam Newton , and many others claim a strong arm but fail consistently still.

Quote:Says guys like Philip Rivers , Tony Romo , Etc. Lookingvat past greats Joe Montana didnt exactly have a cannon arm and neither has Peyton Manning for the last 3-4 seasons. Heck Brady himself doesnt always use his cannon either.

Arm strength will only get you so far as on most throws full strength is rarely needed. If you have superior intelligence, timing and ability to read defenses you will be better over time. Cutler, Stafford, Vick, Cam Newton , and many others claim a strong arm but fail consistently still.
I actually agree that Arm Strength is overrated but you do need a certain amount to keep the defense honest. Chad Pennington had a noodle arm.

Timing and accuracy are extremely important and probably more important than arm strength but you definitely need a good amount. Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball 80 yards....

Sensitive Sallys in this thread.

Quote:I actually agree that Arm Strength is overrated but you do need a certain amount to keep the defense honest. Chad Pennington had a noodle arm.

Timing and accuracy are extremely important and probably more important than arm strength but you definitely need a good amount. Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball 80 yards....

Its good to have both, but i couldnt care less about blakes arm when he constantly misfires on passes under 10 yards.

Quote:If he stepped into that throw in the highlight, thats a TD.  Something he will need to learn to do once he gets those mechanics down

The lack of a TD was not Bortles.  That was Hurns almost dropping the ball and catching it 2 times instead of 1.  

Quote:Says who, you?

Stranger phenomenon than even Tebow, those who worship Ted like a cult.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Stranger phenomenon than even Tebow, those who worship Ted like a cult.

What does Tebow have to do with Bortles not being able to make easy throws? 

I hate the idea that our QB is having to relearn fundamentals in the offseason.  IT just bothers me.  I hate the fact that his field awareness was none existent.  A large volume of sacks and turnovers were because we didn't recognize blitz pre-snap and missed a hot read, sight adjustment, or slid the protection. 

He's tough, he's athletic, he's accurate when his feet are set but there are some concerns.

Don't worry too much jj82284.  Playing time and learning the day to day operations as a starting QB were invaluable for plenty.  Based on the coverage we have so far, Bortels has the work ethic to get it done.  I'm not worried about him working on fundamentals.  The good ones work on fundamentals as a process to improve.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

So he hasn't been working the last 15 years of his life? Is not to be argumentive and yes the great ones refund their fundamentals ask the time. That being said, the natural way you interact with the ball as a reciever or qb comes through.

Quote:So he hasn't been working the last 15 years of his life? Is not to be argumentive and yes the great ones refund their fundamentals ask the time. That being said, the natural way you interact with the ball as a reciever or qb comes through.
If I'm interpreting that correctly, you're saying that since he's been doing this for so long he should not have problems with fundamentals?  If so, then I can't say I agree.  For one thing, the majority of that time he was a kid and he wasn't physically or mentally developed for a lot of then.  Also, you don't just perfect something just by doing it.  You perfect it by getting by practicing and studying in the correct way (which requires training).

Quote:So he hasn't been working the last 15 years of his life? Is not to be argumentive and yes the great ones refund their fundamentals ask the time. That being said, the natural way you interact with the ball as a reciever or qb comes through.
IIRC he only started playing QB his Junior year of highschool, and also I don't think he even had a QB coach at UCF. So basically he has been playing on raw natural talent so far in his career.

Also you draft a QB for the next 10-15 years not 1 year. Yes Bridgewater (Dalton 2.0) has been playing Qb his whole life so he is fundamentally better right now but he just doesn't have the upside of being a potential playoff winning QB down the road.

Maybe Bortles never fixes his problems and reaches his potential, but expecting it of him as a rookie is like expecting a guy who just picked up playing golf a couple years ago, without quality coaching, to become Tiger Woods immediately. 

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2015, 02:07 PM by J-Mizzal.)

The 2nd most overrated thing I see said around here after arm strength is higher ceiling and floor  

Like who gives a crap, Tom Brady had a low ceiling and he won 4 titles went to 6 super bowls, P.Manning low ceiling, Leaf had the higher upside.

Just give me a guy thats gonna win championships when you build a good team around him, Stafford puts up great numbers but what has he won? Nothing

Hopefully Bortles becomes a QB that leads us to the playoffs every year, I could care less about ceiling and floor 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

True, you draft a QB for the next 10-15 years.  At the same time you draft a QB that has the greatest probability of developing into a Franchise QB otherwise the next 15 years will be carried on with someone else at QB. 

I'm not saying that Blake won't fix his mechanics, I am not saying that he hasn't fixed his mechanics, I am saying that I don't like the fact that he HAS TO fix his mechanics!  This isn't just a 3 or five step drops.  There are times when he looks physically UNCOMFORTABLE throwing the football. There are times when he's completely out of sink and the ball nose dives.  We're talking about missing six yard crossing routes when the defender falls down. 

Not to mention the fact, that he's still not seeing the blitz. 

That's a crap ton of uncertainty for the third pick overall.  I WANT BLAKE BORTLES TO SUCCEED.  I THINK THAT HE CAN SUCCEED.  IF I HAD TO GUESS I THINK HE WILL SUCCEED.  But at the same time, NFL benches and waiver wires are littered with Athletic QB's with arm talent and good work ethics that never materialized into the upper echelon of Quarterbacks.

Quote:True, you draft a QB for the next 10-15 years.  At the same time you draft a QB that has the greatest probability of developing into a Franchise QB otherwise the next 15 years will be carried on with someone else at QB. 

I'm not saying that Blake won't fix his mechanics, I am not saying that he hasn't fixed his mechanics, I am saying that I don't like the fact that he HAS TO fix his mechanics!  This isn't just a 3 or five step drops.  There are times when he looks physically UNCOMFORTABLE throwing the football. There are times when he's completely out of sink and the ball nose dives.  We're talking about missing six yard crossing routes when the defender falls down. 

Not to mention the fact, that he's still not seeing the blitz. 

That's a crap ton of uncertainty for the third pick overall.  I WANT BLAKE BORTLES TO SUCCEED.  I THINK THAT HE CAN SUCCEED.  IF I HAD TO GUESS I THINK HE WILL SUCCEED.  But at the same time, NFL benches and waiver wires are littered with Athletic QB's with arm talent and good work ethics that never materialized into the upper echelon of Quarterbacks.
I don't know if Bortles will succeed either, but I do know if he didn't have any of these issues the point of this discussion would be moot because he would be a Houston Texan.  

Personally, at 3 I would have taken Khalil Mack anyway.

Quote:Personally, at 3 I would have taken Khalil Mack anyway.

Then who would have played QB for the Jags last season??

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Then who would have played QB for the Jags last season??
Tebow
Jaguars Fundamentalist

The 2014 NFL draft was about a lot more than the 2014 season.  If bortles isn't a Franchise guy then it will have been a bad pick and the lasting damage to the franchise will have been a lot worse than Having Chad Henne Rank at the bottom of the leaguey again.