Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Importance of Running Backs

There has been a lot of discussion in recent weeks about the Jaguars' need to address the position. Some out there seem to think that drafting one early is silly, as the position really isn't all that important. A few have defended that argument, saying "the Jaguars had the NFL's leading rusher in 2011 and still went 5-11". The problem is those same people talk about Blaine Gabbert as being the worst quarterback ever. You can't have it both ways. If you think Blaine truly was the worst QB in NFL history, then the more appropriate argument would be "MJD won 5 games on his own". That's no trivial feet. 

This "the team was already bad" logic has been used to defend letting other players leave as well, including Daryl Smith. This is a loser's mentality people. An every down running back can run out clock, get 3-4 yards each carry. Sure Denard had a decent season statistically, but he's one of those Chris Johnson types who get negative yardage on one carry, and 12 yards two or three carries later. it's inconsistent.

I will agree that I don't think FA is the way to go, as free agents are overpriced usually, and at RB you're paying for a worn out product. But I'll take Melvin Gordon any day. The Badgers had NO passing game to speak of the last two years. He carried that team to 11 wins this year. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I do agree we should consider Gordon if he is there in the 2nd round, but it all depends on who else is there to consider. Another name to highly consider is David Cobb as he should still be there in the 3rd or maybe even 4th rounds and isn't as far behind Gordon and Gurley as some people think.

I agree that FA may not be the way to go for running back. I do like Ingram as he is still only 25 and still has his prime ahead of him and is just now showing his potential. As much as I love Murray, I think he won't be worth the money considering his heavy workload and he is 28 which is up there for a RB.

Part of me still says that Gerhart may not be all that bad if we could improve the blocking for him.

At this point, I think that there very well may be a run on RBs in Rd 2 and so that to me is the time the Jags should also be considering the selection of a RB. I would love to land Gordon or Gurley, but I would be very happy to select Tevin Coleman of Indiana, whom many consider to be similar to DeMarco Murray of the Cowboys.

Quote:There has been a lot of discussion in recent weeks about the Jaguars' need to address the position. Some out there seem to think that drafting one early is silly, as the position really isn't all that important. A few have defended that argument, saying "the Jaguars had the NFL's leading rusher in 2011 and still went 5-11". The problem is those same people talk about Blaine Gabbert as being the worst quarterback ever. You can't have it both ways. If you think Blaine truly was the worst QB in NFL history, then the more appropriate argument would be "MJD won 5 games on his own". That's no trivial feet.

This "the team was already bad" logic has been used to defend letting other players leave as well, including Daryl Smith. This is a loser's mentality people. An every down running back can run out clock, get 3-4 yards each carry. Sure Denard had a decent season statistically, but he's one of those Chris Johnson types who get negative yardage on one carry, and 12 yards two or three carries later. it's inconsistent.

I will agree that I don't think FA is the way to go, as free agents are overpriced usually, and at RB you're paying for a worn out product. But I'll take Melvin Gordon any day. The Badgers had NO passing game to speak of the last two years. He carried that team to 11 wins this year.
How did Gordon do against a NFL like defense Ohio St?

Quote:How did Gordon do against a NFL like defense Ohio St?

Everyone is entitled to a bad game every once in a while no? He had like 1 bad game all year. And at that point, they were down by so much that they had no choice but to pass. That'll happen in blowouts.

Quote:If you think Blaine truly was the worst QB in NFL history, then the more appropriate argument would be "MJD won 5 games on his own". That's no trivial feet. 
Blaine Gabbert is not the worst QB in NFL history. Not even close.

Quote:Blaine Gabbert is not the worst QB in NFL history. Not even close.

I think there are a lot of people who would beg to differ. You can't just look at TD/INT ratio. It's yardage, yards per attempt, pocket presence. With him it was ALL bad.

Sad thing was he had all the tools. Strength, stature, speed. He just had no clue how to use them. 

RBs can be important but you don't need a stud to succeed.  A lot of other positions that are more important.  As for how well the Jags are here...I'd say we are OK.  Definitely could use some improvement but there are some more glaring needs I'd look at first.

Quote:I think there are a lot of people who would beg to differ. You can't just look at TD/INT ratio. It's yardage, yards per attempt, pocket presence. With him it was ALL bad.

And a lot of people would be wrong.  To say he is 'the worst in NFL history' is truly ignorant of the game.

All I had to do is look up one player.  If I felt like making the effort I could find plenty more.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:And a lot of people would be wrong.  To say he is 'the worst in NFL history' is truly ignorant of the game.

All I had to do is look up one player.  If I felt like making the effort I could find plenty more.
I was about to invoke the Ryan Leaf clause myself, but you beat me to it.

Quote:And a lot of people would be wrong.  To say he is 'the worst in NFL history' is truly ignorant of the game.

IDK about plenty, but true, Leaf was worse. 

I bet it would be hard to find many others though.

He's probably on par with jamarcus russell, just to add some perspective.

But it doesn't really change the root of the argument. Gabbert was one of the worst starting quarterbacks of all time, and the team still managed to win 5 games on the back of MJD. The RB made a difference in 5 games. That's not insignificant.

Quote:Blaine Gabbert is not the worst QB in NFL history. Not even close.
People with no historical perspective need to make their experience the best/worst ever. 

Gabbert wasn't the worst QB in NFL history.  He was bad, but there are plenty who were worse throughout the history of the NFL. 

Regarding the topic of this thread, I agree that pursuing a free agent RB isn't the most prudent approach.  There are quite a few good RBs in this draft, Gordon among them, who would instantly help this team.  I have no doubt that one of them will wind up playing for the Jags on Sundays beginning this fall. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:IDK about plenty, but true, Leaf was worse.

I bet it would be hard to find many others though.
As I said. I could find more...and did. But I'm not the one making the ridiculous claim.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 06:40 PM by clfcrn777.)

Quote:As I said. I could find more...and did. But I'm not the one making the ridiculous claim.

Then why not list them and defend your stance?

Again, not really the root of the argument. I'm not saying he is definitely the worst qb in NFL history, but I'm saying some people have made the argument.

The only thing that's ridiculous is your overreaction. 

Quote:Then why not list them and defend your stance?

Again, not really the root of the argument. I'm not saying he is definitely the worst qb in NFL history, but I'm saying some people have made the argument.

The only thing that's ridiculous is your overreaction.
Overreaction? That's pretty funny. Pointing out that you are wrong is considered 'overreaction'.

Interesting concept.

I don't think we draft or sign a RB in free agency

Quote:Overreaction? That's pretty funny. Pointing out that you are wrong is considered 'overreaction'.

Interesting concept.

I never claimed he was THE worst in nfl history. I said some people will refer to him as such, and then go on to say "we only won 5 games, so and so didn't make a difference".